Gransnet forums

House and home

Stainless Steel Steamer

(50 Posts)
OxfordGran Sun 30-Oct-22 17:07:00

I’m considering buying a steamer, to use on my ceramic hob,
primarily for fish, vegetables, dim sum etc.
Has anyone used one of these successfully?
Is it a pan used only for Christmas pudding and occasionally veg?
Pros and cons welcomed, thank you.
I do not have cupboard space now to store little used kitchenware, so I would need to justify its use, if not the cost (£14).

Also, does anyone use a proper pasta pan, same questions apply.

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 17:10:25

Yes, I've had one for years. It's only two-tier.
We tend to do potatoes on the bottom, vegetables in the top to steam.

I haven't tried steaming fish but I'm sure it would be successful.

We've got a gas hob.

AreWeThereYet Sun 30-Oct-22 17:18:22

I've had one for years with two steaming tiers. I use it to steam veg about four times a week. I've never steamed fish in it but I don't see why you couldn't. If I'm doing mash I just steam the potatoes in one tier and other veg in the other. We eat quite a lot of veg though so a lot depends on how much you are likely to steam.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-Oct-22 17:21:50

I have one. Also a two-tier.

No idea where it even is.
Haven't used it for years! We eat a lot of veg and ours was just too small for us.
If I want to steam vegetables I'd use a large sieve or a big colander inside a bigger pan.

Ours isn't big enough for our Christmas puddings either... unfortunately.

I don't usually make dim sum to be honest. And we are vegetarian so don't eat fish.
Sorry.

I expect it depends on your cooking "style" (if I can call it that!).
I no longer use a wok for example as find anothet massive pan I have works just as well for my needs.

I hope someone comes along who, like Callistemon finds theirs useful and can help you out.

Rosie51 Sun 30-Oct-22 17:25:00

I've had one for years and it's used almost daily. I steam all vegetables, only potatoes, beetroot and frozen peas are ever boiled. I often steam fish wrapped in foil and that works well, it's never dry. I imagine it would work for dim sum and similar foods. I too have a gas hob, not that I know if different types of hob would make any difference.

Never used a proper pasta pan, but would be interested in any replies you get. Are there advantages?

dogsmother Sun 30-Oct-22 17:27:23

Steam pretty much all my vegetables ( bar potatoes ) wouldn’t have it any other wa

SynchroSwimmer Sun 30-Oct-22 17:27:54

It’s my main way of cooking.
Using an existing quality SS pan, just with those cheap collapsible SS inserts, two of them in one pan and plonk the fish on top. Quick, easy, no fuss, little washing up.

2020convert Sun 30-Oct-22 17:30:20

I have an induction hob and had to buy a new steamer. I saved the old tiers and can now cook three levels. I use it constantly for steaming fish and veg. I only possess that and a frying pan! Therefore the bottom is used as an ordinary pan too.
I wouldn’t be without it.

25Avalon Sun 30-Oct-22 17:31:04

I have a 3 tier stainless steel steamer. The bottom is very good for slow casseroles in the oven so you get double use as an ordinary saucepan as well as a steamer. The steamer is good for vegetables and puddings.

MissAdventure Sun 30-Oct-22 17:31:50

I think this kind of set up is often better than all the new fangled steamers.

Nothing to go wrong, easy to check what's going on during cooking..

Welshwife Sun 30-Oct-22 17:47:28

I’m another steamer cook - use it almost daily. I cook nothing in the base which boils the water but everything in the steamer tiers - including potatoes. I also steam frozen veg including peas. I find cauliflower is much firmer in the steamer. Mine is deep enough to do my Christmas pudding and now and again I make individual steamed puddings with jam. If doing fish I cook the whole meal on one hob as I can get two veg in one layer - we don’t often eat potatoes these days.
Rice does need stirring a bit during cooking but it is nice and dry and the grains are all separated. As I no longer have a microwave I reheat anything in the steamer wrapped in foil or in a small basin.

OxfordGran Sun 30-Oct-22 17:53:18

Thank you for replies and NotSpaghetti for suggesting I might have a cooking style !!
I meant to say, its a pan with two tiers. I would wrap fish in greaseproof paper, - perhaps I should try foil.
where I live now has a weekly market, with excellent veg stall and fish van, healthy eating, which inspired me to buy the steamer when I was shopping online this morning.

I tried the sieve, colander, insert methods, unsuccesfully.

The tall pasta pan is a mystery to me, it was a present, there is only me, this looks big enough to feed a family. The idea is to lift out the insert, which does not extend to the bottom of the pan.

Anyway, since asking, I have pressed the ‘in basket’ symbol, so will advise later.
If it is excellent and I achieve great things I will commend it of course, if I find that after the novelty has worn off and I am fed up with fish, I will probably keep quiet,
although
I am heartened by your replies, thank you.

Sarah74 Sun 30-Oct-22 17:56:52

Until about a month ago, I used our steamer everyday for vegetables. We have a gas hob and like the veg quite firm, so it probably wasn’t costing too much, but I’ve been cooking veg in the microwave recently, as an economy - carrots, beans, cabbage, squash, etc with no water in a container with a loose lid. Potatoes in water in a covered container.

Forsythia Sun 30-Oct-22 18:08:53

I’ve got one. Quite basic, looks like a saucepan at the bottom and the steamer fits on top. I just do the veg in it and they taste so much better. Broccoli in particular is green and not soggy. I find it really useful.

LadyGracie Sun 30-Oct-22 18:13:12

I bought mine from Asda, it cost about £12, I love it, what a difference it makes to the vegetables my mother used to cook. It's suitable for all cookers, I've got an induction.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-Oct-22 18:35:21

Maybe I should find mine!
Everyone but me loves them grin

I also eat my vegetables fairly firm so why I've not got on with it is probably down to the size...
My advice - get a big one!

Sarah74 Sun 30-Oct-22 18:37:56

Yes, mine was from Asda -

icanhandthemback Sun 30-Oct-22 18:41:01

I use a steamer regularly. If I'm making a fish pie, we boil the potatoes and steam the fish. Similarly, we use the steamer for Sunday Roast vegetables and then make the gravy in the pan. I wouldn't be without mine.

We have a proper pasta pan but never, ever use it. It is just too big.

Mollygo Sun 30-Oct-22 18:45:59

I’ve got one with two layers -I cook potatoes in the water and any other veg in the steamer. If I’m not cooking potatoes I tend to use the microwave steamer. Apart from veg, I’ve only ever cooked salmon in the steamer-either on the stove or in the microwave bowl.

Sarah74 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:00:46

That looks useful Mollygo - I might order one!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:04:39

I use mine daily, it was my Mums, on an Electric hob.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:08:44

I also do my potatoes in it, I par steam them ready for a roast or as tonight I steamed them ready to mash.

I found a couple of extra ‘baskets’ in a charity shop so I now have 5! But I only use bottom for the water .

MaizieD Sun 30-Oct-22 19:14:09

I was brought up with steamer pans that fitted on an ordinary saucepan (in fact I still have my mother's, which fitted three different sizes of saucepan). I have a three tier SS set which is in daily use for vegetables, potatoes in the saucepan bit, all the rest in the other tiers. I think that steaming is the very best way to cook veg. Also useful for fish.

@Welshwife

Am I getting this correct? You cook rice in your steamer? I'll have to try it. Sounds less risky (rice sticking to the pan) that doing in in a pan of water. Does it take any longer? Fall through the steamer holes? hmm

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:22:09

I have an electric steamer too 3 tier, so useful if I'm cooking for a number of people.

Rosie51 Sun 30-Oct-22 19:23:22

MaizieD You've just asked the questions I was about to ask. I'd love some advice please Welshwife