Gransnet forums

House and home

Bulb/Octopus

(15 Posts)
OxfordGran Sat 29-Oct-22 10:02:37

Bulb is transitioning to become part of Octopus

silverlining48 Sat 29-Oct-22 10:27:26

Just heard it in the news. We have bulb and they have tripled our monthly payment despite holding £1000 credit, which I would really like back.

M0nica Sat 29-Oct-22 11:17:09

I am trying to join Octopus. This explains the delay.

toscalily Sat 29-Oct-22 11:21:01

We are with Octopus, transferred over when Avro went bust. From what I have heard we are fortunate to be with them. They have a great easy to use website & app, notify you frequently regarding your account and it is easy to put in meter readings which we still do even though a few months ago we had a new smart meter fitted (again went very well). As you are in credit make sure you print off/take screen shots of the amount before the transfer.

tanith Sat 29-Oct-22 11:36:49

I’ve been with Octopus 2 yrs now and find their website very east to use and they often send emails to remind me when they are about to take a payment and when to put my monthly readings in. You can easily request back money from your account or change your DD payment.

Georgesgran Sat 29-Oct-22 11:45:57

Despite energy prices in general, I can only sing the praises of octopus and their App, which is so easy to understand, even for a technophobe like me! I think Bulb customers will be impressed, once the changeover is complete.

Riverwalk Sat 29-Oct-22 11:54:12

silverlining48

Just heard it in the news. We have bulb and they have tripled our monthly payment despite holding £1000 credit, which I would really like back.

This is why I would never build up credit with an energy company - so many on GN seem to do so and I can't for the life of me understand why. Just keep the money in your own bank account!

Katie59 Sat 29-Oct-22 12:04:14

I’m with Octopus and their communication is very good but that does not isolate them from the very difficult energy market we have currently.

I am happy that they seem to be straightforward and honest

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Oct-22 12:12:25

I moved from EDF not long after Octopus started. It was a risk but it has paid off. They are upfront with everything and I cannot see myself ever moving.

I do confess when interest rates were paying a heady 0.1% I did not bother about keeping money with Octopus but now I can earn a reasonable interest rate even with my own bank I may move the surplus.

Bulb members will be impressed with the level of service and transparency.

GagaJo Sat 29-Oct-22 13:46:39

silverlining48

Me too. And I've been trying to get the credit back for seven weeks.

62Granny Sat 29-Oct-22 14:45:45

Hopefully Octopus won't change but we have been with them nearly 5 years. They are great about reminding you to take meter readings ( we don't have a smart meter yet) like others have said their customer accessibility is very good you get regular emails detailing your usage and payments and you can keep a close eye on your account.

toscalily Sat 29-Oct-22 14:51:36

Riverwalk Rather than chop & change DD's we have always allowed a reasonable amount to carry over knowing that it will be used during the winter months. Last year savings rates were still very poor so being approx £200 in credit worked for us. Octopus seemed to do the account takeovers in stages so would assume they would do something similar this time, the money was credited to our account which meant we did not have any major adjustment, but, they did overestimate our usage and did allow us to adjust it down a little. This was based on Mr TL's skill at actually working out our our costs (he is quite fussy that way). We were concerned when Avro folded that we would lose the money but that was not the case. Of course costs have gone up considerably over the past few months as it has for everyone but I think you will find it much easier dealing with Octopus and managing, i.e setting the bills at a reasonable level than most other companies. Hopefully you will all get your money back one way or another.

muse Sat 29-Oct-22 22:10:40

I was looking at changing to Octopus a while back to see if any better tariffs out there.
Currently with Scottish Power and don't want to pay by DD. We decided to stay with SP. Octopus could only offer the same tariff. SP's website, app and communication seems as good as Octopus.

Georgesgran Sat 29-Oct-22 22:27:09

Muse I wish I knew your secret with SP. I’ve assumed financial responsibility for a property with PAYG meters with them. I’ve spent over 4 hours - mostly on hold to SP- trying to get some action. Nothing, they can’t help, they can’t come out - so I’m stuck - however they can do me a cracking deal if I’m thinking about an electric car!
I’ve topped meters up and one site says they’re in credit, but daily emails tell me that urgent action is needed as payments have fallen behind. I am beyond caring now!

Thankfully, for my own home, I’m with Octopus.

Quokka Sat 29-Oct-22 22:39:59

Another here singing the praises of Octopus. Been with them for years. Simple billing. Good customer services. .