Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen cabinet makeover

(7 Posts)
Alverstone25 Mon 24-Oct-22 20:03:31

Hoping for advice from anyone who’s done this.

We will soon be moving to a bungalow that has an old but functional quality wood kitchen, it’s quite small and has a small dinning room on the other side of the wall so joining the two rooms is something we would definitely do. As the budget is tight and neither of us are at all creative or confident enough to take this on, we will be looking for a recommended person/ business to do it. Ideally, I’d like to replace the doors and worktops but will consider painting them and changing the handles/ knobs, my concern with this is that with the dividing wall gone and space for another cabinet, I won’t be able to source this style. I want to replace the sink, oven, hob and white goods... has anyone you know done this? did it meet their expectations and was it really that cheaper then buying a new one altogether..

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Oct-22 21:22:45

My kitchen is quite large and 3 days ago I replaced the doors, drawers and handles. I did not need new worktop surfaces or sink etc.

I did some homework and came across a franchise called Dream Doors which had a shop fairly locally. A friend of mine, another GN had had similar done and was delighted with the end result as was I.

Google the company and see what you think.

Forsythia Mon 24-Oct-22 21:28:35

Somebody I know used a company called ReNu.she was happy with it.

Saxifrage Mon 24-Oct-22 21:41:31

We had a good quality wooden kitchen that was all dark oak. About 10 years ago we got a painter in and painted all the doors a light olive colour. We like it very much and have been perfectly happy with the kitchen since. We already had a good light coloured granite work surface. The paint has worn very well with few chips or problems.

Alverstone25 Mon 24-Oct-22 22:08:30

Charliegirl, Forsythia... just googled those companies and they are not too far from me, will definitely get quotes although looking at the website, I fear they will be expensive... I can decide whether it’s worth paying for a renovation, if the difference in cost is not too great i may as well buy new. This will be the third move in 9 years, the last two kitchens were from Howdens, i bought the electrical items from AOL

Saxifrage... good to hear the paint renovation looks great, this will no doubt be the cheapest option but as the kitchen will be bigger after the wall is knocked down, i will need another base cabinet, the chances of sourcing this style are slim therefore that may not be an option for me.

Forsythia Mon 24-Oct-22 22:10:55

Sometimes you can get a carpenter to match the doors or have open shelves above and repurpose the upper doors to a new base unit.

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Oct-22 22:14:25

A relative had new doors and worktops fitted and the company also converted some base units to deep drawers. She's very pleased with the result.
I'm sorry, I don't know what company she used.

We're thinking of doing that to avoid too much disruption.