Gransnet forums

House and home

Coffee machine recommendations

(27 Posts)
starshine Sun 23-Oct-22 15:18:51

I'm looking to buy my first coffee machine but it needs to take pods from various sources rather than be tied to one variety - I would like to use Lidl pods for instance. Can anyone recommend a machine costing no more than £100 please?
Or does anyone have a Nespresso machine that uses generic pods?
Thank you.

Poppyred Sun 23-Oct-22 16:01:12

I’ll be watching this thread with interest….I still haven’t got round to buying one… ?

Hithere Sun 23-Oct-22 16:15:20

May I ask why pods?

I have a ninja coffee machine (no pods used) and working flawlessly for 2 years

starshine Sun 23-Oct-22 16:27:17

I prefer and use multiple times a day, my trusty cafetiere but my family prefer the pods.

NotAGran55 Sun 23-Oct-22 16:38:21

I love my Krups Pixie machine which I got direct from Nespresso for £1 on a subscription a while ago which has now expired. It is more than £100 though.
It is compatible with the LlDL pods which are very good, and considerably cheaper than the Nespresso one.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 06:52:21

Thank you NotAGran55 The Pixi looks very smart but I'm unable to afford it. I am looking at the Nespresso (not the Vertuo as it requires a certain type of pod as far as I can make out) but will hold out today in hope of more recommendations.

BigBertha1 Mon 24-Oct-22 06:57:14

Tried many many machines and have come back to the French press a lovely new stainless steel one. Makes the best coffee which I only drink black or sometimes with a splash of milk. No cappuccino s or lattes for me.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 07:06:25

French press for me too -often with a little cream. Delicious and two small cafetieres get my day off to a great start!

Ashcombe Mon 24-Oct-22 07:07:25

I like the Lidl pods and now have a Lidl coffee machine which takes them but it was a one off deal when I bought it. Like many are in Lidl: “When it’s gone…!”

karmalady Mon 24-Oct-22 07:36:28

cafetiere or an aeropress, which is quick, easy to use and very easy to clean. The grinds just pop out together with the paper filter and about £30 and it can be stored in a drawer

Yammy Mon 24-Oct-22 09:41:13

We have a Lavazza Moda Mio, lovely Italian coffee. They have a deal at the moment where a variety of machines are on offer fo£1 if you take out one of quite a few subscriptions to buy pods for a few months from them.
I have had a Nespresso and it actually blew up when using an alternate pod .

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 10:16:17

The Lavazza can only be used with their own pods so wouldn't do but thanks all the same. All my younger relatives who visit do prefer a machine which is why I don't mind buying one but I'll never change my preference! A Lidl machine would have been a good experimental first model.

Llamedos13 Mon 24-Oct-22 13:17:24

Have you considered a Keurig coffee maker? They use different manufacturers pods.

aonk Mon 24-Oct-22 13:23:53

We have a small Nespresso machine. I think it’s called the vertuo. I’m really pleased with it. It takes various pods including Sainsburys and Aldi. No idea about Lidl as we don’t have one nearby. It should say Nespresso compatible on the packaging.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 13:28:51

I'll check out the Keurig thank you. aonk I thought the Vertuo machines had certain pods and others weren't compatible but I'll read up more on this.

NotAGran55 Mon 24-Oct-22 13:44:04

I haven’t looked at the machines for a while but it looks as though the smaller machines that take the original Nespresso pods have been phased out. I bought my son one for about £89 when he went to university but it is no longer available.

There is a small cheaper one in the range but it takes the newer style vertuo pods, and I don’t think LIDL do them. (They are probably still only allowed to be made by Nespresso I would guess)

There is one machine, De’Longhi Inissia, on Amazon for £114 that takes the original Pods, but I have only ever bought the Krups ones and my machines directly from Nespresso so can’t actually recommend it.

Ashcombe Mon 24-Oct-22 13:58:31

Lidl pods are Nespresso compatible - DH has a Nespresso machine at his home in France and can use Lidl pods.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 14:03:28

Thank you Ashcombe I must look further into this - in fact I'll email Nespresso - as I'm sure the Nespresso originals and the later Nespresso Vertuo take different pods. As far as I can make out the originals take all compatibles whilst the Vertuo only takes Vertuo pods.

NotAGran55 Mon 24-Oct-22 14:07:30

starshine

Thank you Ashcombe I must look further into this - in fact I'll email Nespresso - as I'm sure the Nespresso originals and the later Nespresso Vertuo take different pods. As far as I can make out the originals take all compatibles whilst the Vertuo only takes Vertuo pods.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption.
I think that Nespresso still have sole rights to the manufacturing of the Vertuo pods as they did originally with the original pods. Only after a few years were other companies allowed to make them.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 14:55:45

Ah thank you NotAGran55 That narrows my choices and makes it easier for me.

NotAGran55 Mon 24-Oct-22 15:52:01

Lakeland have one

www.lakeland.co.uk/26782/lakeland-coffee-pod-machine-white#reviews-toggle

cc Mon 24-Oct-22 15:52:26

Honestly I'd buy a bean to cup machine rather than one for pods. They're more expensive to buy but coffee beans cost a fraction of the price of pods
We've had various different types of pod machines in the past, none of them have lasted very long as they lose their pressure so don't extract the full flavour from the pod, resulting in watery coffee.
We now buy bean to cup machines from Curry's with a four year guarantee. If they fail within that time you get either a repair within the week or a free machine.

starshine Mon 24-Oct-22 16:15:44

Thank you. I shall add that to my "check it out" list smile

singingnutty Mon 24-Oct-22 22:45:31

I bought a machine from Aldi (online) a couple of years ago. It can adapt to take 2 different kinds of pod and also you can use ground coffee, although that is a bit messy. It cost about £70 at the time but I don’t know if they still do one. It might be worth having a look at their website.

Nannytopsy Mon 24-Oct-22 22:50:32

The Lavazza Mode Mio is sold as having recyclable pods but we found that you have to take them to a dedicated recycling centre. Ours is 40 miles away. Also, Tesco no longer stock the pods so I wonder if other retailers will drop them. Nice coffee though!