Gransnet forums

House and home

Coverless duvets

(77 Posts)
Carenza123 Thu 20-Oct-22 06:38:00

Does anyone have a coverless duvet? My sister-in-law wants one as she thinks they will be easier to launder and easier than a conventional duvet having to actually change a cover.

Kim19 Thu 20-Oct-22 06:47:07

Would that not be akin to an old fashioned quilt where one had at least a sheet underneath?

Redhead56 Thu 20-Oct-22 08:40:34

I bought one in July Night Owl I was initially delighted with it and it was easy to launder. A fortnight later one of the seams went on it to be honest I did sew it up thinking it was a one off. A week later another seam went so I had to return it so disappointed. Back to a normal quilt and cover.

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 09:01:15

Love my 4.5 tog coverless which we use March til November. No more changing cover struggles, dries in a couple of hours, fits in standard washing machine, back on the bed at bedtime.
Not good if you want pure cotton though as it’s polyester.

sf101 Thu 20-Oct-22 09:06:11

I have a 4.5tog Nightowl and love it. Still on my bed now. It washes easily in my machine and dries quickly. Quilt covers don't really fit the light summer quilts very well and get very tangly in the hot weather, so this quilt is perfect for me.

Esspee Thu 20-Oct-22 09:08:16

Surely you need to have a sheet between you and the so called duvet as washing a big item like that weekly would not only be wasteful electricity wise but it would wear out pretty quickly. If you have a sheet under it the so called duvet is nothing other than a quilted bedspread as it doesn't snuggle round you as a real duvet does.

Mollygo Thu 20-Oct-22 09:27:40

We had a washable duvet all this summer which we used as coverless. Cost about £18 from Lidl. Washing and drying in the heat was easy. Now I’m using the same duvet as a quilt over a teddy fleece duvet cover. The cover snuggles round me and the quilt stays clean. I might eventually start putting it back into the cover or I might try using my heavier quilt the same way.
Kim19 - yes it is akin to the old way. As a child I had a counterpane over the quilt to make the bed look nice during the day, but as we turn back the covers to air the bed now, that’s unnecessary.

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 09:36:18

No more energy than washing a cotton duvet cover

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 09:37:09

And mine hasn’t worn out yet, about 5 years old. I’d def buy another when it does wear out though

Mandrake Thu 20-Oct-22 09:38:31

Do you mean a coverlet? I have to admit to liking them. They are easier. I don't have a super thick one though.

Witzend Thu 20-Oct-22 09:44:29

How big are your beds? I can’t imagine even a 4.5 king size coverless fitting in my washing machine (or maybe fitting in but the machine seriously objecting!) so would be pleased to hear otherwise.

Notsoold27 Thu 20-Oct-22 09:54:18

4.5 tog duvet will easily fit into a standard size washing machine.

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 10:01:02

Mine is a double size. I can also fit the bottom sheet and pillow cases in at the same time.
They are a completely different “ feel” weight wise to a “ normal” duvet so it’s a bit hard to visualise I think.
I’ve got arthritis in my fingers so can’t change covers easily now although DH does it obviously.
Mine was from m and s but for some reason they don’t sell them anymore.
It was a total revelation to me! No covers to fit, no ironing, dries outside in an hour or less than a day indoors hung over a window facing door or airer.
I don’t feel I’m damaging the planet as it’s exactly the same amount of electricity/detergent etc as a cover.
I wash it once a fortnight, the bottom sheet and pillow cases weekly.

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 10:04:05

I wish they’d been around when I had 3 children at home! Although I did “ invent” them I suppose as I did make cot quilts when it was allowed! Babies sleeping bags I suppose are similar principle, coverless ( pretty patterned printed on) duvet fabric shaped into sleeping bags.

Mandrake Thu 20-Oct-22 10:07:23

I have a super king bed. I get the cover into my top of the size range washing machine. Just!

Mollygo Thu 20-Oct-22 10:44:33

Witzend

How big are your beds? I can’t imagine even a 4.5 king size coverless fitting in my washing machine (or maybe fitting in but the machine seriously objecting!) so would be pleased to hear otherwise.

Witzend, the Lidl king size duvet that I’ve been using as coverless fits in my machine. Probably uses more water because I gave it 3 rinses in the summer. Now it’s just used like a quilt it’ll only get the usual.

Teacheranne Thu 20-Oct-22 11:21:14

storynanny

Mine is a double size. I can also fit the bottom sheet and pillow cases in at the same time.
They are a completely different “ feel” weight wise to a “ normal” duvet so it’s a bit hard to visualise I think.
I’ve got arthritis in my fingers so can’t change covers easily now although DH does it obviously.
Mine was from m and s but for some reason they don’t sell them anymore.
It was a total revelation to me! No covers to fit, no ironing, dries outside in an hour or less than a day indoors hung over a window facing door or airer.
I don’t feel I’m damaging the planet as it’s exactly the same amount of electricity/detergent etc as a cover.
I wash it once a fortnight, the bottom sheet and pillow cases weekly.

I agree with you, my cover less duvet feels very different to a regular duvet, both in texture and weight distribution. I have a sheet underneath and the duvet does cling to it so it snuggles around me. However, I live alone so there is only me in bed fighting for the duvet!

I wash the sheet and pillowcases every two weeks but rarely wash the duvet itself although I do hang it outside on a nice day to air.

I have three coverless duvets just for my bed! The first patterned one was from M&S but it doesn’t go with the new decor in my bedroom so I bought a 10.5 tog one from Night Owl in a plain grey design. I only had it on for one night when I realised it was too hot so I bought another 4.5 one which I am still using.

The M&S one, also 10.5, fits in my washing machine as does my new 4.5 one but I have not yet washed the new 10.5 one - the washing instructions say it will fit though.

The ones I bought this year were expensive compared to the M&S one but feel much more luxurious and less acrylic so hopefully they will last a long time!

I won’t go back to using duvet covers as I have very bad arthritis in my hands and shoulders so find them very hard to do on my own.

storynanny Thu 20-Oct-22 12:47:38

Not sure why they’ve disappeared from m and s website, I guess they weren’t very popular.
In the very hot months I use a home made coverless duvet- I don’t like the tangle of just a sheet or empty cover so I bought the thinnest 1 tog duvet and could find, put a cover on it and stitched around the sides. So it goes in the machine and dries in a few hours as the polyester duvet is so thin and light weight.
If I didn’t have a useful duvet cover changing DH I’d be getting a winter coverless one as well!

Caleo Thu 20-Oct-22 13:16:56

I love my coverless duvets. I use thin summerweight single duvets so they easily go into the washing machine and are as easy to dry as good quality sheets. I add more duvets and throws as the nights become colder.

Caleo Thu 20-Oct-22 13:17:50

PS I bought one from Ikea for about £4. It's great!

Carenza123 Sat 22-Oct-22 07:31:08

Thank you all for very useful comments.

Allsorts Sat 22-Oct-22 07:42:59

I would rather a cover I could wash than a duvet I can’t.

Dotty123 Sat 22-Oct-22 08:05:09

I use a conventional duvet (with its cover) but always use a top sheet as well so I just need to wash that.

choughdancer Sat 22-Oct-22 09:20:27

I've used this brand (Spundown) of duvet for many years, and they are good quality and seem to last forever! All, including the king and superking size fit in the washing machine, although the superking is in two pop-together layers which go in the washing machine separately.

www.finebedding.co.uk/products/spundown-duvet?variant=19613238100030

Mollygo Sat 22-Oct-22 09:44:08

Try places like LoveBedtime for easy 3way zipped covers. Keep your existing duvets. Open the cover, lay the duvet on the cover then zip up sides and end. Just wash the cover and no need to wrestle.
I asked when they were going to make fleecy ones, but it’s not going to happen any time soon. ?