Gransnet forums

House and home

Relocation Help (Hampshire / East Dorset Border)

(17 Posts)
SillyNana Wed 12-Oct-22 21:40:34

One of our children has just moved to Three Legged Cross with their family, and we are thinking of taking retirement and moving down to that area.
DH is obsessed with crime rates, and is petrified of uprooting us in our autumn years to somewhere dodgy, so any advice on nice quiet and SAFE areas (and areas to avoid) would be great.

We are looking within a 10-mile radius of Ringwood, such as:
Fordingbridge, Verwood, West Moors, Sway, Hordle, Everton, Highcliffe, New Milton.

We are looking for a bungalow to downsize to, as I have a progressively deteriorating health condition.
Any advice, or sharing of personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Greenfinch Wed 12-Oct-22 22:03:08

Ferndown is 12 miles from Ringwood and my best friend moved there 15 years ago. She finds it very friendly and safe and is very happy there. I have since heard of several acquaintances who have moved there for retirement purposes and they are all very pleased with their moves. I should think any of the areas you mention would be safe and pleasant.

SillyNana Thu 13-Oct-22 09:21:15

Thanks Greenfinch.
DH ruled our Ferndown purely based on internet crime stats, which I am beginning to think are probably doing it a disservice.
We will add it to the list for a recon ?

Greenfinch Thu 13-Oct-22 10:16:25

I had better not tell my friend!! It might make her worry! Seriously though we ring each other every month and she has never mentioned crime probably because there is a lot less than where she used to live (Wokingham). Happy hunting. Let us know what you finally decide.

eazybee Thu 13-Oct-22 11:47:28

Verwood is very pleasant, quite rural but with an abundance of shops, facilities and a good selection of housing, and a wide age range. Not heard of any particular crime problems.

SillyNana Thu 13-Oct-22 12:38:51

Thanks Eazybee.
Yep, we were amazed at the facilities in Verwood. 3 good supermarkets, a good high-street, and a local community hub.
My son (who has only been down in Three-Legged Cross for 6 months) heard from a neighbour that there are always plans afoot to significantly expand Verwood. This is only hearsay though, but would be a shame if it does happen. Guess this is happening everywhere though.

Thanks for your response.

Teebles64 Mon 24-Oct-22 21:21:05

Verwoerd has supermarkets and lovely walks but almost no public transport so you will be quite isolated if you don’t drive. Personally I would prefer New Milton or Highcliffe, Christchurch, Friars Cliff. You would have beach and forest, train and bus service , good shopping. None of these areas could be described as high crime and I would be happy to live in any of these places.

SillyNana Tue 25-Oct-22 08:22:50

Thanks Teebles64.
We are coming down on a recon this weekend, and will be taking a fresh look at New Milton.
Interesting point you make about public transport. We are moving down from west of London, so would never dream of using public transport for fear of safety.
I guess that says a lot about the areas that we are looking to move to that you actually consider using the public transport.

Thank you for taking the time to comment…

Teebles64 Fri 28-Oct-22 22:00:16

I hope you have a lovely weekend and find your perfect home. Buses used mainly by those with a free pass ?

MawtheMerrier Fri 28-Oct-22 22:21:24

Interesting point you make about public transport. We are moving down from west of London, so would never dream of using public transport for fear of safety.
I guess that says a lot about the areas that we are looking to move to that you actually consider using the public transport
I hope you. Do indeed find this is an area where you will feel more confident about the relative absence of crime.
I was shocked by your comment - I regularly use buses and the underground whenever I am on London and have never had cause to feel unsafe. No point in commenting on public transport where I live in N Bucks though - although I use the trains, buses are few and far between! .

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Oct-22 23:12:17

Have you investigated the Council planning websites, SillyNana

They might give you an idea of the long-term plans for the area.

www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/w/south-eastern-dorset-questions-and-answers

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Oct-22 08:44:07

Don't forget crime stats in general are not the same as on your actual road.

Crime stats also vary in type.
What type are you wanting to avoid?
You may find it better to look that up specifically and check it over several months. It may have peaked for a reason, putting the records up for (perhaps) something that is now over.

If I look at stats for my town it's very different to stats fir my immediate area.
If you look at where (and what) the crime really is it may not be what you think.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Oct-22 08:52:51

So, for example, most crime in your son's area in August was Violence and sexual offences - the incidents were repeated and in two roads. Four incidents in one road, two in another.
This sounds like domestic abuse to me.
It is horrible but not likely to affect you personally (I would hope).

SillyNana Sun 30-Oct-22 21:25:02

Thanks Callistemon21. Very informative.

SillyNana Sun 30-Oct-22 21:27:26

Thanks NotSpaghetti.
You are absolutely right in your take on interpreting the crime stats, and your example is spot-on.

We need to start taking these stats with a good old “pinch of salt” .

SillyNana Sun 30-Oct-22 21:31:17

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time and trouble to contribute to this thread. We really do appreciate it.

After an exhausting weekends recon we have narrowed our search down to Verwood / Hordle / Everton.
Verwood is our favourite area, and we have even managed to narrow our search down to a particular patch.
Just need to find the right place now.

Thanks again to all, and very best wishes !

Callistemon21 Sun 30-Oct-22 22:11:01

SillyNana

Thanks Callistemon21. Very informative.

There is one for our area and they have already built extensively on previous Green Belt land, SillyNana.