Gransnet forums

House and home

has anybody got suggestions for a dehumidifier to help dry washing

(18 Posts)
kjmpde Sun 09-Oct-22 11:42:16

i have recently read that you can use a dehumidifier on laundry mode and wonder if anybody has got one and can recommend it

Charleygirl5 Sun 09-Oct-22 11:50:51

I hang my washing outside if the weather is okay and if not I have it on a clothes hanger in the kitchen and it benefits from heating whenever it is switched on.

I have a dehumidifier but I would not use it to dry clothes- it costs money to run but I am unsure how much.

glammanana Sun 09-Oct-22 12:02:35

Anything that doesn't dry on the outside line is hung on a fold down maiden in my wet room in front of the window where it dry's off really good,far to expensive to run a dehumidifier with the costs of electricity at the moment.

25Avalon Sun 09-Oct-22 12:43:44

Eco Air DD1 dessicant humidifier can be used to dry laundry or so it says. I have this more expensive dehumidifier because being a dessicant type it will operate in my garage at low temperatures. It works brilliantly as a dehumidifier. It gives off warmth so maybe would dry some things but I can’t see how it would work on large items such as sheets.

kircubbin2000 Sun 09-Oct-22 12:53:38

People do too much laundry. If it's a stain wipe it off, wear it again.

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-Oct-22 13:58:52

I've just reinstalled my old pulley in my sunny kitchen but will open the wee vent in the window to allow air circulation - no fancy gadgets for me .

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 14:03:05

I’ve just remembered my aunt.
Some years ago we went to the Isle of Wight. She asked me to get her some duty free ?

MerylStreep Sun 09-Oct-22 14:06:31

Obviously that should be on another thread ?
I blame paint fumes.

AGAA4 Sun 09-Oct-22 14:35:36

I have heard that a fan will dry washing and uses much less electricity.
It moves the air around which aids the drying process. Cheaper to buy than a d humidifier too.

Fleur20 Sun 09-Oct-22 14:38:02

I can completely recommend this...
Meaco 12 Litre Platinum Low Energy Dehumidifier and Air Purifier ..
4 loads of laundry, including joggers, jeans and jumpers dried over night... very cheap to run.
I was amazed and slightly freaked out by the amount of water gathered from an unused bedroom.. but have to say the house feels warmer.. without any heating turned on.
I got mine from Appliances Direct online.. have purchased several items from them and am very satisfied with their service.

Ro60 Sun 09-Oct-22 15:31:00

Meaco 20 low energy dehumidifier was recommended to me by a friend.
Researched running cost of dehumidifiers just the other day - 26p per hour. (but now I've found - in their site 3.8p per hour for this model. ? - low, anyway).
Yes, it dries my laundry & takes the chilling off a room.
I don't have heating in my bathroom & it's sufficient my warm.

Blossoming Mon 28-Nov-22 11:56:07

I know this is an old thread. There’s an article in The Independent today about best Cyber Monday dehumidifier deals.

I’ve just ordered a UniBond aero 360 pure moisture absorber dehumidifier from Robert Dyas for less than £10. It’s a dessicant and doesn’t use electricity. It ticks 3 boxes for me (prevents damp and mould, helps dry laundry and doesn’t add to fuel bill). I will report back once I’ve used it for a while.

If anyone wants to read the article here’s a link.

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/black-friday/best-dehumidifier-deals-cyber-monday-black-friday-b2223252.html

Calendargirl Mon 28-Nov-22 13:26:02

Not wishing to sound negative Blossoming but at under £10 and using no electricity, don’t think it will dry much washing.

Might help prevent damp from condensation though.

Oreo Mon 28-Nov-22 13:35:31

kircubbin2000

People do too much laundry. If it's a stain wipe it off, wear it again.

That’s what my SO says, but as he’s a lazy git with laundry, he would say that.
I use an airer near a radiator but have been thinking I should use a dehumidifier.

Oreo Mon 28-Nov-22 13:36:22

Blossoming

I know this is an old thread. There’s an article in The Independent today about best Cyber Monday dehumidifier deals.

I’ve just ordered a UniBond aero 360 pure moisture absorber dehumidifier from Robert Dyas for less than £10. It’s a dessicant and doesn’t use electricity. It ticks 3 boxes for me (prevents damp and mould, helps dry laundry and doesn’t add to fuel bill). I will report back once I’ve used it for a while.

If anyone wants to read the article here’s a link.

www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/black-friday/best-dehumidifier-deals-cyber-monday-black-friday-b2223252.html

Ta!

Whiff Mon 28-Nov-22 14:09:00

I have a dehumidifier I brought from Aldi it's brilliant 20l tank. On laundry mode at the moment drying 3 clothes horses of washing including towels. Been on for 4 hours will leave on for another couple of hours and stuff will be mostly dry. Cheaper than the tumble dryer and means I can dry everything . It's Aldis own brand and cost lot less than a £100 last year.

Blossoming Mon 28-Nov-22 14:29:16

Calendargirl

Not wishing to sound negative Blossoming but at under £10 and using no electricity, don’t think it will dry much washing.

Might help prevent damp from condensation though.

I’m not expecting it to dry directly Calendargirl, but the drier environment will help.

Georgesgran Mon 28-Nov-22 15:19:51

I’ve those blocks in some wardrobes on outside walls - the block absorbs moisture in the air and the block then dissolves into the reservoir. Absolutely no use to dry clothes, but good for what they’re supposed to do. Easily emptied and refilled.