Gransnet forums

House and home

Roof cleaning

(42 Posts)
Alima Fri 07-Sep-18 12:53:33

Has anyone been unlucky enough to live next door to someone who is having their roof cleaned? Next door is having theirs done right now. Blokey standing atop the roof, jet washer going haywire. The bloody mess around our house. He said he will clean up. He will need to clean all my windows, clear every gutter, wash the car and generally clear up. Incandescent doesn’t cover it. And breathe. Sorry.

Charleygirl Fri 07-Sep-18 12:57:41

I had mine done last year but no mess anywhere.

SueDonim Fri 07-Sep-18 12:58:45

It's not good to clean a roof with a jet washer, for the neighbours or the roof itself! Assuming the roof is made of modern tiles, jet washing strips off the top layers and makes the tile more vulnerable to bad weather and eventually you can end up with cracks and fractures.

Our roof has been cleaned but it was done by hand.

BBbevan Fri 07-Sep-18 13:06:17

My friend who lives in a semi- detatched house had her roof cleaned. The neighbour was adamant he did not want his roof done. He then went on holiday. The roof cleaning man did both roofs despite my friend constantly telling him not to. He broke a lot of tiles on both roofs. Made a great deal of mess and then disappeared. My friend had the difficult job of explaining all this to her neighbour's our when he returned. They are both still trying to contact the roof man, several months later

Alima Fri 07-Sep-18 13:16:47

Blokey is now in our garden looking at our guttering which is bulging and leaking with all the crap from next door’s roof. I am so angry. We had no warning that this was being done. Thought our neighbour was ok, really don’t want to set eyes on her again.

FlexibleFriend Fri 07-Sep-18 14:02:07

As someone else said using a pressure washer on a roof is a really bad idea and more likely to cause problems. I'd insist on him cleaning out my guttering without the pressure washer and cleaning up whatever mess he's made. If he doesn't tell you neighbour you'll get someone in to do it and give her the bill. My neighbour can be a bit weird but I do try to keep them onside with such things even so she still managed to pressure wash her patio on to mine the day after I'd just cleaned mine. I have a drain put in when patio built but she relies on her patio draining onto mine which is slightly lower which is a bloody cheek, get a drain built as I don't want your filth on my patio. Some people it really is out of sight out of mind.

HildaW Fri 07-Sep-18 14:32:03

What's the point of cleaning a roof? Cleaning out guttering yes....but a roof does not need cleaning.

Nonnie Fri 07-Sep-18 15:14:28

Hilda some roofs seem to accumulate moss and the birds keep pecking at it which causes it to fall to the ground and make a mess. This happened to us and I just cleared it up but perhaps that is the reason some get them cleaned.

Alima Fri 07-Sep-18 15:20:08

Nonnie, the moss which falls to the ground because of the birds does not make much mess at all. Not compared to that blasted all over the place with a jet washer.

MiniMoon Fri 07-Sep-18 15:35:28

Nonnie, I just sweep up the moss that the birds dislodge. I would never have my roof cleaned. The bats would not come back! The lady from the bat conservation group told me I must have a very clean roof, since the bats come every year to raise their babies.

HildaW Fri 07-Sep-18 16:28:43

Fresh from the Ex chartered surveyor in the family. Roofs are designed to cope with whatever nature throws at them and to not need anyone going up and washing them down - within normal parameters. Overhanging trees might cause a larger than normal build up of moss but that should just be scraped off, certainly not jet washed.

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 08:25:55

We had a heavy accumulation of moss on one face of our roof, it had built up over several years and by last year it looked like a lawn!

We got a good local roofing company on, who most emphatically did NOT pressure wash it, but scraped it down, replaced broken and slipped tiles and then sprayed the roof with moss inhibitor. They then put the moss in big bags for us to turn into compost or use as a mulch in the garden and left everywhere immaculate. We only had the moss affected face treated, not the whole roof. The work took about a week from start to finish.

This work caused absolutely no disturbance or problems for our neighbour in any way.

OldMeg Sat 08-Sep-18 08:38:02

I’m assuming all is over and peace and cleanliness is restored. It’s give and take if you want good relations with the neighbours.

Lynne59 Sat 08-Sep-18 12:37:32

I've never heard of anyone having their roof cleaned! WHY?
Gutterings, yes.

HildaW Sat 08-Sep-18 13:04:37

MOnica, sounds exactly the right sort of job! Bet you're nice to live next door too!

gerry86 Sat 08-Sep-18 15:51:12

I've never heard of anyone having their roof cleaned either. I have an awful problem with moss and despite sweeping it up two days ago my patio looks awful but I don't think I would have it cleaned off, just keep sweeping.
Surely it will only come back anyway.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 08-Sep-18 15:55:07

I do feel sorry for you. Actually, I've never heard of anyone having their roof cleaned.

I hope the contractor keeps to his word and does clean up.

As far as your neighbour is concerned, I think they should have mentioned it to you that they were having this work done. The only thing I can think is that they didn't realise how much disruption it would cause to you.

I hope the situation gets resolved and you don't have a permanent fall-out with your neighbour.

Alima Sat 08-Sep-18 15:58:08

We have nearly finished cleaning up. Apparently our neighbor did not know they were going to clean the roof yesterday. The clean roof looks bloody awful, all pink and bare like a gaping wound. At least one broken tile and damage to a ridge tile. Smirk. (Oh dear, did I just say that?)

M0nica Sat 08-Sep-18 16:40:33

If you have a lot of moss on your roof, you should have it cleaned of. Moss holds water and in winter the water will freeze and unfreeze and this can cause clay tiles to spall and slates can laminate leading to damp getting through and rotting roof timbers. Weeds can also root if the moss is thick enough and the roots penetrate between the tiles, also leading to damp problems.

Our house is listed and clay tiles were relatively soft. Pressure washing could have damaged them irreparably. Our roofing co said that they always cleared moss from roofs by hand and would never use a pressure washer, not even on concrete tiles.

jeanie99 Fri 28-Sep-18 02:08:53

We were told by our builder that moss is a healthy sign on a roof so we just leave it.

Mapleleaf Fri 28-Sep-18 20:44:43

I’ve never heard of house roofs being cleaned, either. Guttering, yes and also conservatory roofs, but that’s all.

WillThomas Thu 29-Apr-21 10:34:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Shandy57 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:51:24

Sorry you have had such an upset.

I think a lot of 'new' businesses have sprung up with people losing their jobs to try and survive this crisis, it sounds as though your neighbour's workers weren't very experienced. No excuse for no notice considering the impact it had on you.

I had a sofa collected yesterday by a 'man with a van', lovely young man who had lost his job as a bar manager during Covid. He has teamed up with a friend with a van and has gone into removals.

Shandy57 Thu 29-Apr-21 10:54:20

I've just realised how old this is!

chyaust Tue 22-Jun-21 19:18:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.