Gransnet forums

Health

Sad times in gp service

(13 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 07-Dec-22 10:05:52

Back in September I felt as though I had water in my ear. I could feel it moving, couldn't hear properly and had a discharge on my pillow case in the morning. I tried to get a gp appointment but none avaible. Eventually after a few weeks I struck lucky and had appointment with nurse who did a swab test. She gave me a follow-up telephone consultation for today and after finally speaking to a gp I now have to use antibiotic eardrops as it showed a streptococcus infection was present on the swab. My gp was horrified and couldn't apologise enough for the delay in treatment. How sad it has taken so long for something which could have been sorted months ago. I already have hearing issues using two aids and I'm very concerned it may have damaged my hearing in that ear further.😔

Kalu Wed 07-Dec-22 10:19:30

That is unforgivable and I do hope their neglect doesn’t result in any damage to your ear.
Personally, we haven’t had any problems making GP appointments in our part of Scotland although I have heard many horror stories from others who have had to deal with struggling to see their GP if at all. Understandable during the peak of covid but surely they should be back on track by now.

veejay Thu 08-Dec-22 08:16:14

My son had constant severe back pain for 9 months.and given pain killers.I rang the surgery myself because he was in such pain.
The receptionist told me to talk to my friends of I worried.she didn't refer me to a Dr to speak yo.even when I asked her to leave a message to ring me
Finally I got to speak to a Dr.a locum as it happened.he made an appointment for an X Ray for my son.but before he had chance for the X-ray he had a stroke,
He was bluelighted to hospital and he was eventually X-ray.where it was found he had 2 compound fractures.
He is still in pain.and had lost his speech which is slowly coming back
I complained about the receptionist and did get a letter of apology but still disgusted
On the other hand I managed to get a quick appointment a few days ago and got a call from the hospital the day after for an X-ray appointment tomorrow

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Dec-22 08:45:06

I was told that as I can't get an appointment by phoning at 8am every day for what they call an "emergency" appointment I should actually GO there before 8am and queue for an appointment as they have someone making bookings in person.

Aveline Thu 08-Dec-22 08:52:58

I just had a text from our GP practice saying could we please not contact them except in extreme emergency as they had staff off with Covid.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Dec-22 08:55:22

I had a nessage saying "use the pharmacy" instead of the surgery for anything not essential.
I would think we all do that anyway.

Nanatoone Thu 08-Dec-22 09:00:57

My granddaughter (8) has been poorly for weeks (about 10) with a sore throat, pale and wan, temps spiked here and then, constantly been sent home from school, being called up to give her painkillers etc. finally got a long awaited GP appointment when her neck glands were visible through her skin they were so swollen. She’s had a certificate from school for bravery and persistence which made me blub. It’s been a horrible experience trying to get the right attention, especially now we know about strep A. My daughter had a finger infection and couldn’t get seen, we are so lucky she didn’t get sepsis, it was black and purple and spreading up her hand. We waited 7 hours in A&E before they told us they had no idea when she’d get seen, the pain was unbearable. We left in despair. The triage from 7hours ago had not been redone to check what the current situation was and that’s a long time with an infection. We finally got a GP appointment the next day (for her swollen finger they said, dear god, it wasn’t a swollen finger, I dread to share with you the photo of it). The GP couldn’t deal with it but did give antibiotics at last and decent painkillers. We ended up about an hour later back in urgent care where it was finally dealt with. The nurse moaned constantly to my daughter about her walking out of A&E and berated her as the GP should have lanced and dealt with it. Well, it took around 30 minutes to deal with it (on and off as the nurse kept disappearing) and no GP can spend that time. It has meant that my daughter remains poorly due to the infection a week on, loads of kids have missed lessons (teacher) due to this. The need was for antibiotics, which the pharmacy told us right away. The on cost of this simple need not being met has been awful. All for the sake of antibiotics at the right time. I feel glad that my husband is no longer here to be subjected to the mess that is the current NHS. With his cancer, sepsis and all the rest that goes with it I dread to think of the additional suffering that is going on.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 08-Dec-22 09:03:11

NotSpaghetti

I was told that as I can't get an appointment by phoning at 8am every day for what they call an "emergency" appointment I should actually GO there before 8am and queue for an appointment as they have someone making bookings in person.

That’s what my husband does. The thought of having to get myself out in the cold that early in the day if you’re not feeling well doesn’t appeal to me.

Grammaretto Thu 08-Dec-22 09:12:52

If we avoid phoning before 10am unless urgent, tell the receptionist what it is then a GP will phone that same day.
I have a GP I know well so often wait a week for a call back and she will ring in the evening and we have a good chat. I haven't seen a doctor in person since 2020.

I am so sorry to hear about your hearing loss Taichinan I hope it is temporary.

Redhead56 Thu 08-Dec-22 09:42:30

Hope your symptoms clear up and this does not affect your hearing any further.

biglouis Thu 08-Dec-22 09:47:28

My son had constant severe back pain for 9 months.and given pain killers.I rang the surgery myself because he was in such pain. The receptionist told me to talk to my friends of I worried.she didn't refer me to a Dr to speak yo.even when I asked her to leave a message to ring me

I would be persuing this vis a solicitor and not via a "letter of apology".

veejay Fri 09-Dec-22 22:41:10

big louis, I have suggested this to him, he is not in the mood for trying to speak to anyone just now,his speech was affected badly but improving slowly
I was also disgusted when the paramedic rang the stroke unit, explaining my son was talking gibberish.
It was on speaker and I clearly heard the nurse say he's probably drunk
Maybe when his speech is better he will do something about it,

A few years ago a friend of mines brother in law went to the Dr at our surgery with severe back pain,different area.she gave him painkillers and sent him home.2 days later he died of a heart attack
The family took her to court and it turned out she didn't do any tests or even take his blood pressure.
It was on the front page of our local paper she is still a Gp at the surgery .
I will not see her even if I have to wait and see another Dr

BigBertha1 Sat 10-Dec-22 07:31:52

I am sorry for everyone here who has pain and is worrying about what's happening to them. I have a good experience of our medical centre. Two weeks ago I rang at 8am and was allocated an app for yesterday. I waited my turn in the waiting room a lady went in and was in there 30 mins clearly something wrong. I say for another 15 mins when my own GO appeared and said would you like to come with me so I dud. She had a few cancellations and was scrolling through the apps on the computer. So in a few mins she sorted me out and reduced the queue for the doctor I was booked with.