Gransnet forums

Health

My dentist has told me I can't see her again as I don't go regularly enough.

(32 Posts)
sazz1 Thu 01-Dec-22 18:57:56

I've been seeing my dentist for nearly 10 years and always gone every 6 months for check ups and treatment. Always on time and never late. I liked her very much and she was really caring. 18 months ago the surgery cancelled my appointment and told me to make another. I had lots of serious health problems at the time, and 2 members of my family nearly died so I forgot all about it.
2 weeks ago my crown fell out so I made an appointment no problem. I wasn't in any pain so saw her today. She's referring me for surgery to remove the decayed tooth. Then she told me she won't see me again as she only wants patients that come regularly and she's cutting down her days. Said even if I go on the practice waiting list she won't see me.
I'm so upset as I liked her and trusted her as a dentist. I've had so many bad dentists over the years and had massive problems including jaw bone infections when they haven't done things properly.
I know I shouldn't take it personally but really feel like crying.

Poppyred Thu 01-Dec-22 19:04:59

Did you explain to her what happened? If not, write her a note explaining the circumstances- tell her how much you like and trust her. Worth a try - good dentists are like hens teeth!

JaneJudge Thu 01-Dec-22 19:10:51

sazz1, you mustn't take it personal as by me dentists are getting rid of their NHS patients like they are going our of fashion. So many people just cannot get seen and I imagine your dentist is most probably cutting down on her NHS patients and making her money elsewhere. Are you able to pay into a dental plan?

JaneJudge Thu 01-Dec-22 19:12:00

Btw most modern dentists (private or not) are not rough these days, I have a dental phobia and I find modern dental care a lot more empathetic

sazz1 Thu 01-Dec-22 19:17:08

I've heard of dental plans but not looked into them. Do they cover some or all the cost of treatment. And how much a month are they?
Thanks x

JaneJudge Thu 01-Dec-22 19:34:15

I don't know, could you ask your surgery to advise you? x

karmalady Thu 01-Dec-22 19:40:02

cutting down her days means also that she has to cut down on her patient list and denplan patients would have priority. To get onto denplan, a denplan dentist has to do an assessment and there would be a contract. There are different payment options, depending on the dental care required in the future

M0nica Thu 01-Dec-22 19:50:50

Any dental plan will cost more than any treatment you have. So if possible just put the money you would pay into the Denplan into a seperate savings account in your name and you will be surprised how much the sums in the account will build up and you will never pay more for your dental treatment than the dentist charges.

NotAGran55 Thu 01-Dec-22 20:40:57

My Denplan costs £19.08 a month and covers 2 examinations, 2 hygienist appointments, x-rays and 10% off any treatments.
£228.96 a year compared to £271 if paid for separately, without the benefit of the 10% discount which I have used once for a crown.

M0nica Fri 02-Dec-22 07:54:27

NotAGran55 Your plan is merely the cost of 'dental routine maintenance'. With or without the 10% discount, it does not cover the cost of any treatment, whether fillings or anything more complex.

When most people talk about a Denplan, plan it is understood to include all the treatment you may need, so that you do not get any huge bills or nasty surprises. I had a tooth break recently and need a crown. if you pay into Denplan, you would expect the cost of the crown to be covered by the insurance plan.

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-22 08:15:50

With Denplan I think it is normal to have to pay any lab bills incurred.

Some practices run their own plans.

Oldbat1 Fri 02-Dec-22 10:35:29

No nhs dentists where we live so we have been with denplan for over 15yrs. My teeth are rubbish even as a child. My denplan is £30 a month and worth every penny! In an emergency I can normally have a same day appointment or next day. I recently had a front tooth spontaneously break and I’ve now had a bridge replacement. I only paid the lab fee. My Dentist said without denplan it would be £500. I have a check up and hygienist appt next week. I would rather pay denplan than say have up to date mobile phone or a more modern car (ours is 13yrs old). My friend has really good teeth and just pays as she goes as she needs very little treatment.

Sparklefizz Fri 02-Dec-22 10:41:44

I'm with Denplan and have had my money's worth because my teeth have suffered due to my multiple health problems and poor NHS dentistry in the past. I have needed a lot of treatment. I've been with them for 22 years, and can get same day appointments in an emergency.

NotAGran55 Fri 02-Dec-22 14:49:05

That’s right M0nica it is the basic level as I have good teeth and don’t see the point in paying out for something I’m hopefully not going to use.
It’s good to get the routine stuff done cheaper too.

M0nica Fri 02-Dec-22 15:30:49

But the OP seems to be looking for insurance covering treatments as well.

pascal30 Fri 02-Dec-22 15:40:44

sazz1

I've heard of dental plans but not looked into them. Do they cover some or all the cost of treatment. And how much a month are they?
Thanks x

My dental plan costs £16pm and covers 2 hygienist visits,2 checkups per year and 10% off any treatments.. and free prescriptions.. My dentist and all bar 1 in the practise are now private. But when I recently needed as extraction she sent me to the NHS clinic which was free.

karmalady Fri 02-Dec-22 18:00:35

Dentists will always prioritise denplan patients, they can only see a finite number of patients. People might want to pay per tooth problem but it is not as simple as that, you will not get on a list if the list is full.

sazz1 Sun 04-Dec-22 23:42:48

Well today I received an email from the dental group Bupa which my ex dentist was part of asking for a review of my recent appointment.
So I wrote exactly what happened and also what she said to me. Also expanded on family problems and illnesses that I've had to support emotionally and financially. Said that's why I forgot to make an earlier appointment. Said how upset I was and also asked if any of their group of NHS dentists had a vacancy for me to register Also suggested they should tell patients how regularly they need to attend to stay registered. NHS site says 2 years and I wasn't that long.
Also said she was an excellent dentist- thought it was only fair cause she was.
Don't know if they will reply but put my name, address, email and phone number on it so fingers crossed they will have space for me somewhere in their group. Wish me luck x

sazz1 Mon 05-Dec-22 11:54:20

Well that was fast. They rang me at 10am and asked all about it. Also asked how the dentist was when I first went in which seemed odd to ask that? Well they will register me with another dentist at the practice on the NHS and I have an appointment for next year. I'm wondering if I'm not the only one she's de-registered and they are looking into it as I've never had a survey form before
Thanks for all your support xxx

Ailidh Mon 05-Dec-22 12:07:14

I'm with Denplan too. It started when I moved to a fairly socially deprived city and was horrified to find no NHS dentists available. I've just stuck with it as I've moved.

It is now £26 a month, and well worth it to me. It covers two check ups and two hygiene visits a year, plus all necessary work, excluding lab work.

The only financial annoyance is that when you move dentist, you have to have an initial examination at private prices, and any work that needs doing, at private prices, before they'll take you on to Denplan.

M0nica Tue 06-Dec-22 08:09:14

NHS advice is that 6 month check-ups are not always necessary

I quote: ^You mayassume youshould have adental check-up every 6 months,but some people may not need to go so often and others may need more frequent checks. Your dentist should suggest when you should have your nextcheck-up based on how good your oral health is. Thetime between check-ups can vary from 3 monthsto 2 years, depending on how healthy your teeth and gums are and your risk of future problems.

I have an annual check-up and have had not needed ongoing dental treatment for several year.although I am having a crown replaced at the moment. It seems pointless to buy an insurance plan that covers treatment you may not need.

Far better to put the equivalent sum aside each month in a separate savings account and just draw on it when you need it.

BigBertha1 Tue 06-Dec-22 08:51:02

We have been shunted off our dentist (the senior partner and owner) to an associate as we haven't scheduled and probably won't schedule any orthodontic or cosmetic dentistry. We don't mind I found him rather scary and always predicting horrors to come with my teeth if I don't let him do building work on them.

Redhead56 Tue 06-Dec-22 09:07:20

I had very bad experiences at the dentists growing up but still went for checkups etc. About five years ago the dentist took far too long while doing a root canal. I asked why it was taking so long and needed more pain relief he said the drill bit was stuck in my gum. It couldn’t be removed he expected me to sue him I think and was unpleasant I was so upset by his attitude I never returned.
I did find another dentist to go to but have not been since lockdown. I am very wary of going since Covid but I expect to be given the heave ho when I do ring up.

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Dec-22 09:16:42

Raging toothache can be so agonising that you just want to cut off your head, so being with Denplan is wonderfully reassuring knowing that something can be done about it promptly. I speak from experience as my teeth have suffered due to all my health problems.

It's all very well saying put aside the £20+ premiums into a separate account to draw on if necessary, but with a root canal (of which I've had several) costing a couple of hundred pounds or more, you might not have saved enough to cover it.

As with any insurance, you hope not to have to draw on it, but it's there as a buffer. I have had my money's worth out of Denplan.

pascal30 Tue 06-Dec-22 12:15:10

M0nica

NHS advice is that 6 month check-ups are not always necessary

I quote: ^You mayassume youshould have adental check-up every 6 months,but some people may not need to go so often and others may need more frequent checks. Your dentist should suggest when you should have your nextcheck-up based on how good your oral health is. Thetime between check-ups can vary from 3 monthsto 2 years, depending on how healthy your teeth and gums are and your risk of future problems.

I have an annual check-up and have had not needed ongoing dental treatment for several year.although I am having a crown replaced at the moment. It seems pointless to buy an insurance plan that covers treatment you may not need.

Far better to put the equivalent sum aside each month in a separate savings account and just draw on it when you need it.

Yes Monica I used to have yearly checkups but my dentist won't
see people unless they have them 6 monthly. So for me the insurance deal is good as it spreads the payments, saves a bit of money and gives peace of mind. I've had 2 abscess's in the past year..and can see her immediately if insured..