Gransnet forums

Health

My finger hurts - but why?

(16 Posts)
Supernana1 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:43:46

I have a mystery. The bone between the joints on the middle finger of my hand hurts if I put any pressure on it - for example if I pick up a cup of coffee with the middle finger under the handle. The weight of the cup hurts me so much I almost drop the cup.

It's not the joints and there is nothing to see - it looks completely normal. The GP fobbed me off saying 'oh probably arthritis' but this is the bone between the joints, not the actual joints.

It feels like it's been burnt and any pressure on it is really sore. I can use the finger normally otherwise.

Anybody got any ideas?

Grandmabatty Wed 30-Nov-22 14:55:57

Osteoarthritis?

tanith Wed 30-Nov-22 15:45:26

I’d say it’s Arthritis too, the joint is where two bones meet and the cavity between is filled with a jelly like fluid and or cartilage. It can become inflamed and painful when touched.

icanhandthemback Wed 30-Nov-22 15:52:21

Osteoarthritis hurts the joints but in an effort to "mend" the worn part, the body goes into overdrive so you get bony nodules growing. This can give you pain in the bone between the joints which it sounds like you are getting. The good news, is that although movement might be restricted, the pain does stop once the nodes stop growing. I'd choose deformity over the pain anytime!

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:26:51

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Supernana1 Fri 02-Dec-22 14:30:38

Thanks for all your replies. It seems then that it is osteoarthritis - wear and tear - and I'll just have to put up with it.

Thanks again.

tanith Fri 02-Dec-22 15:48:35

Supernana1 once the inflammation dies down and it will, it is far less painful and you might be left with nodules ( swelling) on the joint, I have many.

Sarah74 Fri 02-Dec-22 17:22:00

Try using Flexiseq gel - I find that helps my arthritic knees.

Debbi58 Fri 02-Dec-22 18:30:48

I have osteoarthritis in my fingers and hands as well as rheumatoid arthritis, pain can start before you see any swelling etc. Mine starting when I was 53, I'm 58 now and my hands and fingers are really bad, I have arthritis everywhere, even in my head . People don't understand how bad the pain can be 🤷‍♀️

Oldbat1 Fri 02-Dec-22 18:59:30

Sounds similar to how my arthritis started. My finger top joints all have nodules on now and fingers all bend to the side. The discomfort when it first started was quite honestly making me wish I could amputate the top joints. It went from finger to finger. The pain wasmore noticeable in cold/rainy weather. I’m pleased to say a few years further on that I don’t find the discomfort nearly so bad now. I take vitamin D every day from October to April.

Namsnanny Fri 02-Dec-22 19:31:18

Old bat which type of vit D and how much do you take, and last bu t not least, do you think it helps?

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 18:59:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Tizliz Sat 24-Dec-22 19:05:36

The trouble with using a gel on your hands is you then can’t do anything until it is absorbed and then as soon as you need to wash your hands it goes all gooey - someone needs to invent a better absorbing gel

Hetty58 Sat 24-Dec-22 19:15:51

I'm thinking that you may have injured it - and it could get better. I had a very painful ring finger, with no apparent injury, bruise, swelling or redness, that eventually went away, completely, after a couple of weeks - just as I was getting used to using the other hand!

Oldbat1 Sat 24-Dec-22 20:30:04

namsnanny it may be worth asking for a blood test via the nurse at your surgery. My vit D results were very low and I was prescribed quite a high dose of Vit D for a few months then advised to continue all year. I now take one 4000iu tablet daily. I would suggest you have a word with a pharmacist to make sure you get the correct strength. I think the vit D definitely made a big difference. My ring finger is giving me gyp currently but I am hopeful once the nodes develop further the nagging in that digit will cease. (I can no longer get my rings on or off over my knuckles). My mum was riddled with osteoarthritis but she had a very hard working life whereas I haven’t so I’m hopeful I don’t suffer as much as the years tick by.

josephalex Wed 28-Dec-22 09:55:58

Hi, It seems that it is osteoarthritis. Please consult a doctor for further care. Thanks