Gransnet forums

Health

After-effects of flu vaccination…anyone?

(22 Posts)
Nannatwiglet Wed 30-Nov-22 11:30:12

Had my flu vaccination two weeks ago. Spent 3days in bed afterwards…pounding headache, aching joints, nausea…Felt much better on the 4th day, but still not feeling 100% since then with a slight tickly cough, no appetite and slight discomfort in my ears. (I do suffer from vestibular neuritis from time to time).
Last year, after the flu jab, I had no problems whatsoever. Has anyone had similar after-effects….?

Thoro Wed 30-Nov-22 11:32:55

I usually get some symptoms but didn’t get any this year. I wonder if you picked up a bug when you went to get your jab?

ElaineI Wed 30-Nov-22 11:35:13

Last year I had similar side effects to you from the flu vaccine. This year apart from a slightly sore arm was ok. It can be because each year it changes depending on circulating flu strains. Covid ones have been ok.

emmasnan Wed 30-Nov-22 11:43:04

No problems for me.
Perhaps you were about to go down with a virus anyway.

Theexwife Wed 30-Nov-22 11:46:34

Had mine on Monday, obviously had no symptoms as I had forgotten about it until reading this.

Oldbat1 Wed 30-Nov-22 13:09:24

No reaction from me and I had Covid booster at same time. Arm was bit tender. Couple of weeks later I also had the shingles vaccine and at start of this year my pneumonia. All up to date with all available injections.

schnackie Wed 30-Nov-22 15:04:40

Had mine on the 19th - flu jab in one arm and Covid in the other. I have been feeling a bit off now that you mention it.

Grammaretto Wed 30-Nov-22 15:09:40

I've had a cough and runny nose ever since the covid & flu jags. That was 4 weeks ago.
No wonder people aren't queuing for it.

M0nica Wed 30-Nov-22 15:30:14

None

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Nov-22 16:06:16

Nothing here.

Doodledog Wed 30-Nov-22 16:12:38

I had a very sore arm and a 'fluey' cold for a week or two after the jab. There was a bruise on my arm for the full fortnight. I don't know if the cold was connected or a coincidence, but I definitely had it.

I'm fine now though - I had the jabs separately weeks ago.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:15:28

Clinician warned me of possible after effects - so I guess your reaction must be at the more severe end.

I had no reaction, but I have had a very nasty bout of flu in the summer. So I am guessing that is why I had no reaction.

Doodledog Wed 30-Nov-22 16:16:34

I meant to say - I was fine after the Covid jab. It was the flu one that got me.

Farzanah Wed 30-Nov-22 16:16:37

Had both omnicron and flu vax same day. Felt unwell next day, afterwards fine.
We meet with thousands of wild viruses and bacteria every day and it’s an heroic function of our immune system that we are still living 😀
Flu vaccination is inactivated and cannot cause flu.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:19:42

No reaction to covid jab either - I had covid this summer as well 😄😄😄

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:27:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alioop Wed 30-Nov-22 18:32:25

I'd my Covid jab in one arm and flu jab in the other on Saturday morning and apart from no sleep because of sore arms turning over in bed on Saturday night, I'm fine.

sazz1 Fri 02-Dec-22 00:47:21

I haven't had it because I was in the hairdresser's a couple of weeks ago and people were talking about friends being ill after the flu jab. Then hairdresser said they had several cancellations from people who had the flu jab and were ill.
Put me off getting it but OH had it with no side effects.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Dec-22 05:21:10

No reaction at all to either jab couldn’t even remember which arm, no soreness either
I never have had a reaction I often wonder if anyone who does may have something starting at the time without realising it

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Dec-22 06:52:36

I would honestly re-think your decision not to have the flu jab.

I caught it in the summer and was so very ill. It came with very high fever, dreadful cough, awful sickness and diarrhoea and burst ear drum. I was ill for 3 weeks and fragile for weeks more.

A few days of feeling grotty doesn’t compare.

Franbern Fri 02-Dec-22 08:19:51

It takes a fortnight for the 'flu jab to become effective. It cannot cause 'fl or any other illness. Slightly sore arm yes.

Anyone who had their 'flu jab round about the time where they had been infected by any sort of virus - is still going to get the symptoms and illness of that virus (whether or not they had they jab).

One of the myths is that a 'flu jab can cause flu - it cannot, but it definitely can help to protect (after that two weeks) the person from actually getting this very nasty and potentially dangerous illness

Doodledog Fri 02-Dec-22 08:32:26

I am prepared to believe that my fluey cold was coincidental, but it has happened every time I've had a flu jab, and my GP says each time that I might be achey and feel fluffy for a few days after the jab. I know it is not a live virus, but that does seem more than a bit of a coincidence - particularly as I usually also get a large red mark at the injection site that fades to a bruise.

It won't put me off getting them, as I agree with WWM2 that on balance a few days feeling under the weather is preferable to getting real flu, particularly as I am asthmatic.