Gransnet forums

Health

Osteoporosis

(11 Posts)
Goldieoldie15 Tue 29-Nov-22 21:30:15

I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Was prescribed alendronic acid but having had read up about it decided against taking it. Now am deliberating taking PROLIA. Still quite uncertain. My GP is pretty keen. I am still not sure as with all the drugs on offer the side effects are pretty horrifying. I would appreciate advice. Thanks so much.

granfromafar Tue 29-Nov-22 21:41:05

I took alendrolic acid for several years without any side-effects. As with most drugs, the side-effects only occur in a minority of people. What is your GP keen on, alendrolic acid or Prolia? Sorry but have no knowledge of Prolia.

Luckygirl3 Tue 29-Nov-22 21:50:14

I am on Prolia (also called denosumab) and have been for about 2 or 3 years. I have had no problems. I have 6 monthly injections preceded by a blood test to check calcium and Vit D levels - and kidney function I think. These have always been fine. I also take calcium and vit D.

The only downside as far as I can tell is that you only get a DEXA after 5 years as research has shown that the results can only be seen then. I find it mildly concerning that I have no idea whether it is working!

Calendargirl Wed 30-Nov-22 07:15:00

I also took alendronic acid for several years with no ill effects, but after my latest bone scan I was told to stop. Also have daily vitamin D and calcium tablets.

My osteoporosis seems no worse than years ago hopefully.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Nov-22 07:26:49

Goldieoldie I have Osteoporosis and refused the drugs because I have long-term M.E. plus I'm Hypothyroid and have a rare pancreatic condition, along with Asthma and some other illnesses, so I'm juggling all of these and didn't want to add unpleasant side effects into the mix.

I researched and worked out a programme of bone-supporting supplements (not just calcium and Vit d) and have been taking these for over 20 years. I recently had another DEXA and my results are exactly the same as they were years ago, so no deterioration at all despite now being in my mid 70s. I am not able to do load-bearing exercise because of the M.E. so I credit the supplements with keeping my bones on track.

Franbern Wed 30-Nov-22 09:41:39

When I was first prescribed Alendronic Acid, a friend 'warned' me about all the horrendous side effects. As I am an ostomist, anything which causes upset to digestive system worries me. I decided not to take them.

A year later GP suggested again I take these tablets and have done so for the past three years without a single side effect at all!!!

ALL drugs have side effects, but for many the effects are very minor and most effects only a small minority.

So. Goldieoldie - why not give these tablets a try - if you are one of those effected then you discuss with your GP at that point about an alternative.

Goldieoldie15 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:53:38

Thank you so much to all who replied. All very instructive xx

Goldieoldie15 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:57:54

To Sparklefizz. What are the bone supporting supplements that you have been taking (if allowed to say on this forum) ? I’d really be interested to know.

Sparklefizz Sun 04-Dec-22 10:05:19

Goldieoldie15 There are bone supporting complexes which contain all the basics for Osteoporosis, but usually the calcium they contain is calcium carbonate which is not well absorbed by the body, and also the doses are the bare minimum.

I researched and decided to buy separate supplements in order to take exactly what I wanted, and these have worked because my bones have not deteriorated in 5 years. I'll send you a PM with more details.

travelsafar Mon 12-Dec-22 11:33:40

What are the symptoms of osteoperosis please.

Sparklefizz Mon 12-Dec-22 11:39:04

Often there are no symptoms travelsafar until you have a fracture. I had a female GP who was very aware and she sent me for a bone density scan when I was having to take Tamoxifen for breast cancer (it's a known problem with Tamoxifen). I have never - touch wood - had a fracture and had no symptoms at all.