Gransnet forums

Health

Beneden Healthcare - experience?

(18 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 29-Nov-22 10:54:41

I have been a member for years and never had need of their services. I phoned today and it just seems impossible for me to get any help. I feel like I have wasted my money when I could have put it in the bank and used it towards private health cover. I thought it would be some kind of safety net, better than nothing. But not my experience. I am going to cancel my membership. Wondering if anyone else had been successful, or is it like a lot of things, great in principle but not so good in practice?

Kate1949 Tue 29-Nov-22 15:52:58

I think there's another thread on this somewhere which may be helpful to you. I was in Benenden for many years but cancelled when they were of little help when needed. I think the other thread has some positive posts.

silverlining48 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:09:29

Have been members fir years, still are. We have used it fa number of times, but accept there are some things they don’t cover. A monthly fee of £11.50 is not a lot and we think it’s good value.
Sorry though you are disappointed.

joannapiano Tue 29-Nov-22 18:45:09

When I worked at a private hospital, the Consultants wouldn’t always take a patient on if insured by Benenden. They covered so little in their policies.

GagaJo Tue 29-Nov-22 18:56:07

joannapiano

When I worked at a private hospital, the Consultants wouldn’t always take a patient on if insured by Benenden. They covered so little in their policies.

Yup. I worked in private healthcare for a while. Benenden was by far the worst health insurance. Paid for very little.

Callistemon21 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:25:07

GagaJo

joannapiano

Yup. I worked in private healthcare for a while. Benenden was by far the worst health insurance. Paid for very little.

Yes, it is selective but then you get what you pay for.

Paying £11.50 a month compared to £hundreds per month for some other schemes is an indication.

We've used it three times and been very happy.
I shall enquire about help towards joint replacement as the NHS has failed me completely so far.

Gingster Tue 29-Nov-22 19:29:35

We have never used it but I do know people who have and have been very happy with their services.
The only time my Dh phoned them he was cut off and never bothered again, but that’s down to him 😤

grannyrebel7 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:36:24

We've been in it for years and I agree it's hard to access. Apparently though you can get joint replacement surgery for half price if you're in Benenden. My DH was going to use them but found getting a referral from his GP was a nightmare. He chickened out afterwards anyway and has strangely seen an improvement in his knee. Lots of people I work with have used it numerous times and think it's an excellent service though.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:39:12

I had a hernia done there last year. Was successful. Came under the normal insurance. I also had a problem with one of my ears which was dealt with including an MRI.
My daughter is a fan of Benenden having had a repair and a hip replacement under the NHS but referred to Benenden.
The only disadvantage is the travelling there. The advantage is you are seen on time and ops tend not to be cancelled.

silverlining48 Tue 29-Nov-22 19:47:53

Callistemon I enquired and the cost fir a new hip was £9000 this year. Quite a bit cheaper than the private hospitals I had also contacted.
Their new hospital in Kent is f@bulous, but if you live too far away they can refer you to another more local private hospital fir treatment on your membership. We are very happy with them.

clementine Wed 30-Nov-22 16:33:58

Have used them twice for day procedures and they were excellent . Also have had four private physio sessions . Husband has also used them .

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:35:11

Thanks silverlining

62Granny Wed 30-Nov-22 16:39:42

A friend had some problems with them recently, they do not cover a lot of things that see to go wrong with us as we get older unfortunately. She has decided to cancel her subscription too.

chloe1984 Wed 30-Nov-22 17:31:42

My family and I have been members for over 40 years have never had a problem in being referred and subsequent treatment. In fact have just had a consultation in a local private hospital all it took was a phone call and referral letter from my GP , confirming email and job done meanwhile I am still waiting for my NHS appointment so I will t be cancelling any time soon.

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 17:31:43

The good thing is that they are usually in touch with a decision after 2 weeks and first appointment is offered very quickly after receipt of the gp letter.
At a first appt with both knee and later hip I was given an mri and scan straight away. Another time when I saw a consultant neurologist I had a brain scan on the first appt. As much a fan I am of the nhs I know if an mri was needed there would inevitably be another probably lengthy wait.
There are many conditions that are covered but given the low monthly cost it is obvious that not all can be. Its clean, safe, no mrsa or other nasties. When we joined nearly 20 years ago it cost £8.50 pm , it has only increased by £3 I call that good value but its up to everyone to decide fir themselves.
However its not a Bupa et al, we all pay the same however many health problems people may have. It began a couple if hundred years ago as a TB hospital for postal workers and until recently was only open to those working in public service.

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:27:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Daisymae Wed 30-Nov-22 23:05:02

I'm wondering if they have tightened up their criteria. I only need some basic tests. Hip replacements are not covered, I've been reading elsewhere. You can of course self fund.

LadyGracie Wed 30-Nov-22 23:10:24

DH had his cataracts done with Benenden, great service.