Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritic knee with shooting pain only at night

(29 Posts)
Betty65 Fri 25-Nov-22 10:15:14

I have an arthritic knee, spurs show on X-ray but no way near bad enough for a replacement
At night I frequently have a shooting pain in the front of my knee that wakes me up and blooming hurts.
I am losing weight, have joined a joint management class at the gym, do tai chi and am trying most things to keep moving.
At night I take paracetamol and ibuprofen and put a cushion between my knees. I have tried a hot water bottle too. Nothing is working.
My doctor just says more pain killers but these have the great side effect of constipation! So it would mean more drugs to counteract it.
Does anyone else suffer with this, have you found any magic thing that helps. Ps during the day my knee is completely fine.

teabagwoman Fri 25-Nov-22 10:27:13

You have my sympathy Betty63. If it were me I would try the pain killers and see if I could eat enough fibre to counteract the side effects, with plenty of fluids, and the occasional resort to senna. The only other suggestion is to try a TENS machine. Hope you find some relief.

Baggs Fri 25-Nov-22 10:38:54

I've been taking strong painkillers daily for many years (arthritis). I find green veg and lentils made into dal (sometimes the greens get chucked in the dal too) deal effectively with the constipating side effects.

Also dried fruits and the common root vegetables: carrots, turnips/neeps, parsnips, which I roast in the oven with some sliced onion and sometimes chuck some grated cheese onto, plus a sprinkle of large-size porridg oats

Caleo Fri 25-Nov-22 10:50:10

Betty, have you tried a long pillow between your knees and long enough to reach from thighs to feet? If such a pillow is the right thickness it can keep your 'top' leg, knee, and ankle nicely parallel to the lower leg, knee, and ankle.

GrannyLaine Fri 25-Nov-22 21:56:30

Betty65 have you been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon? If your life is being affected to this extent, particularly chronic disrupted sleep, joint replacement should be an option for you. I had a total hip replacement earlier this year. Like you, my pain was awful at night, not so bad during the day but I walked with a pronounced limp. Physio simply made things worse, losing a considerable amount of weight had no effect whatsoever. I was needing to take pretty heavyweight analgesics but avoided constipation. Having a new hip joint has given me my life back.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Nov-22 22:06:11

Please don’t take ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

Aldom Fri 25-Nov-22 22:25:32

When I was having dreadful knee pain day and night I used a 'freeze spray' or a 'freeze gel' for the nighttime. During the day I used an ice cold compress. My pain was caused by inflammation of the tendon to the patella.

BigBertha1 Fri 25-Nov-22 22:32:06

The GP prescribed Pregabalin for my night time back and leg pain. Works a treat why not ask your GP if this would be good for you

tanith Fri 25-Nov-22 22:32:14

Before my hip-replacement my GP prescribed me a low dose of Amitriptyline for the pain at night. In a small dose it works as a muscle relaxant and it really worked for me. Ask your GP if it’s possible for you to try.

Kalu Fri 25-Nov-22 22:58:32

Pregabalin didn’t agree with me at all. Cocodamol 30/500, ibuprofen 40 and Omeprazole to ward off any stomach upset due to taking these meds..x 4 times daily to alleviate the pain due to a fractured hip and knee. To combat constipation I take bran flakes with prunes, various veg./fruit and a few Ricola Swiss herbal, sugar free sweets daily, which have a laxative effect. Failing that, I keep a supply of Movicol if needed.

Good luck in finding a solution that suits you. Nothing worse than wakening through the night with pain and also ongoing constipation to bring you down and feeling wiped out due to lack of sleep.

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:14:34

Caleo

Betty, have you tried a long pillow between your knees and long enough to reach from thighs to feet? If such a pillow is the right thickness it can keep your 'top' leg, knee, and ankle nicely parallel to the lower leg, knee, and ankle.

That helped me a LOT when my knee had a very bad patch.

that advice appears in a whole number of knee pain advice for sleep that I googles - long pillow separates legs/knees cushion them. Clearly something is "seizing up" at night due to still ness and lef/hip position as it eases in the day.

As well as the good painkiller advice (and alas the constipation that goes with)

Personally in a bad patch before bed I use "Arnica plus" cream from a good herbalist and take a real long time massaging all around the knee area and sometimes in the night.

I've also developed a way of sleeping "half" on my side half on my tum without knees together but your hips have to be reasonably flexible to do this.
Like this
[url=https://postimg.cc/WFP0qP6B][img]https://i.postimg.cc/WFP0qP6B/Unknown.jpg[/img][/url]

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:14:54

Will try again with image.

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:15:56

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/pTmC7W9L/Unknown.jpg[/img][/url]

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:16:14

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pTmC7W9L/Unknown.jpg[/img][/url]

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:17:06

Bother!

Wyllow3 Fri 25-Nov-22 23:17:49

Like that with back leg further back

AussieGran59 Sat 26-Nov-22 00:26:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madgran77 Sat 26-Nov-22 20:04:06

Thuasne Action Reliever Knee Brace. It is available on prescription but not all Health Authorities agree to it being prescribed. Get brochure from Thuasne which will include pack for your GP, discuss with GP, see if it can be prescribed. Otherwise you can buy it privately, £299 , but £250 with VAT exemption if osteoarthritis has been diagnosed plus further 10%off for first order from Thuasne brings it down to @ £225. It is brilliant, with a patella ring that keeps the knee stable, and straps that stop bones moving at the side if the knee. Nighttime-I have not worn in bed. I also use a pillow ..but have found a memory foam one is much better than a normal one flowers

Visgir1 Sat 26-Nov-22 20:15:17

TKR probably the only answer. Had mine nearly a year ago. Agree the pain at times was unbelievable but I eventually got a steroid injection that gave relief for about 4 months, before I had the surgery, I was also on waiting list for Hip as well. Had that in August.
But I did read in The Times about 2 weeks ago NICE was going to recommend special shoes to aid knee pain /those on TKR Waiting list.
Give it a Google search apprently they really help knee pain.
I was surprised, about the shoes but I would have investigated.

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 21:09:08

My GP advised me to take 8 paracetamol a day 'in the meantime' to relieve knee pain.
That was 18 months ago. The waiting list for KR here is about 4 years.
I'm still waiting, but not taking all those paracetamol.

Thank you for the tip about the pillow, Caleo. I will enquire about the knee brace, Madgran77
The steroid injections have worn off.

SyskaJake Mon 28-Nov-22 08:15:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:11:00

The 8 paracetamol a day is not meant to be a cure.

It's just meant to alleviate pain while on the waiting list for TKRs (could be years!).
I self-referred to a physiotherapist.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:12:34

But I did read in The Times about 2 weeks ago NICE was going to recommend special shoes to aid knee pain /those on TKR Waiting list
Thanks Visgirl, I will enquire.

Betty25 Thu 01-Dec-22 17:59:12

Thanks, lots of good ideas, the sleeping position does help a bit. Did any of you find that exercise helped. I’ve joined a Joint Pain Welness Class at Nuffield Gym. Not seeing any improvement yet, only more aches but didn’t want to give up

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 18:59:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.