Gransnet forums

Health

Viruses doing the rounds

(28 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Wed 23-Nov-22 17:38:08

Is anybody else suffering from what might just be a cold, but feels bad enough to be Covid - only any tests are negative?
I’ve had it for two weeks and it comes and goes- sore throat, coughing, headache, general lassitude and (dare I say) grumpiness?
I’m thoroughly fed up as I don’t have the energy to do very much - I almost wish it was Covid because then I could tick that off (as I’ve swerved it up to now) and it would give me a reasonable excuse for hunkering down with daytime TV, the dog and Heinz tomato soup.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Nov-22 17:49:05

I had a terrible cold a few weeks ago. Covid test was negative. I did wait for several days before I tested because I knew people were testing negative for ages before testing positive. Got through rolls and rolls of loo roll because I was blowing my nose constantly and slept for England. Still got the dreaded post nasal drip. Annoyingly I always have some first defence nasal spray in stock but didn’t use it: don’t ask me why. Had I developed a headache I would have tested myself again, but I didn’t. I just think my immune system is very low from years of shielding myself. Spoke to a friend today who had covid just before I came down with my cold and she says she’s only just got any energy to do anything. She tested positive fir 7 days but had had covid fir several days before she tested positive.

merlotgran Wed 23-Nov-22 18:25:14

I had this last week. I’d had the flu jab two days earlier so at first I thought it was a reaction to that but I felt exhausted for days. Three Covid tests were all negative. 🤔

Iam64 Wed 23-Nov-22 18:47:50

Maw yes, I’ve got a terrible sore throat, headache, absolutely zero energy and a cough that was dry but changing. I wheeze and short of breath on incline. My gp prescribed antib as I immune suppressed
My 3 year old grandson shared this with me. I’m lft negative

MayBee70 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:02:48

The only person I could have caught it from was my 4 year old grandson who had a cough when I looked after him, but he’d had the cough for ages…it had just lingered in after he’d had a cold. It just makes me wonder what I would come down with if I went into a crowded room unmasked.

CanadianGran Wed 23-Nov-22 20:07:07

Virtual hugs and perhaps a hot tea with a shot of Grand Marnier from me!

Hope you all feel better soon, and take advantage of the ability to have long naps.

Witzend Wed 23-Nov-22 20:11:20

Sounds like what I had - really awful cold, dreadful cough, and feeling like a wet rag - zero energy.. I actually spent 2 days in bed - unheard of for me. It lasted a good 2 weeks.

Rest, plenty of warm fluids*, and keep warm, Maw - do hope you’ll be feeling miles better soon.
*I was getting through gallons of hot Ribena!

lixy Wed 23-Nov-22 20:22:32

Sounds very nasty.
There are all sorts of cold type things doing the rounds here with people feeling washed out for a couple of weeks.
Rest, keep warm and drink soothing fluids seems to be the advice. Maybe the old standby of lemon and honey?
Hope you all feel better soon.

MayBee70 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:33:01

Although I didn’t have much of an appetite I kept craving salty food and ate a lot of crisps. I opened the bottle of Co Enzyme Q10 that I bought in case I got covid.

NanKate Wed 23-Nov-22 22:37:03

I tested negative for covid 3 times last week but I knew I had caught it from my grandson. My 4th test proved positive and I was relieved 😷

I posted on NHS that I was positive and they have done a countdown on NHS covid 19 app to when I am allowed out, in about an hour and a half by their reckoning.

Hot lemon and honey has worked for me with a throat which appeared full of broken glass 😩

NanKate Wed 23-Nov-22 22:39:02

I was recommended to take Berroca tablets which contain Vit C and zinc. I think it has helped with recovery.

Redhead56 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:46:49

I have been ill for a couple of months coughing spluttering. I was given eight anti biotics from the doctor following phone consultation.
It did ease it very well but after a week returned I have constantly tested negative. My cough is 'productive' and is easing but making me angry as there is no end to it.

JenniferEccles Wed 23-Nov-22 22:49:40

I read the other day about something called RSV which is a respiratory virus with symptoms very similar to a cold.
Apparently for most people the symptoms are mild but it can be nasty for small children under five as well as older people who may have weakened immunity.

Therefore we are now facing colds, flu, covid and now this RSV too this winter.

Farmor15 Wed 23-Nov-22 23:26:11

There are definitely a lot of respiratory infections around. My daughter and 2 small children seem to be getting one dose after another. I got a bad cold at the end of September which lasted over 2 weeks - mainly a lot of nasal congestion and post nasal drip causing coughing. Tested negative for Covid, but it was very similar to the Covid dose I got in January. When it finally cleared up, I felt tired and lethargic for another few weeks, and then got a urinary tract infection! I suspect it was because I was “run down”. However, after the course of antibiotics to clear it, I felt back to my normal, fairly energetic self.

Iam64 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:22:34

My 3 year old grandson has been sharing the bugs he picks up since starting nursery school in September. He’s had a temp, cough, no energy etc 7 days. I’ve got it his dad had it, now his mum has this awful sore throat, can’t get warm, cough.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Nov-22 08:35:38

merlotgran

I had this last week. I’d had the flu jab two days earlier so at first I thought it was a reaction to that but I felt exhausted for days. Three Covid tests were all negative. 🤔

Mr C has been wiped out since he had his flu and shingles vaccines at the same time almost a month ago.
I don’t know what it is.
It’s difficult to get a cold if you never go anywhere

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Nov-22 08:39:29

JE that’s really interesting about RSV. His chest has been really bad (he has lung disease) but his oxygen levels have been fine.

I hope everyone feels much better soon thanksbrew

Jaylou Thu 24-Nov-22 08:42:52

You have exactly described my symptoms too. Timed perfectly to coincide with 2 weeks off work angry.

Forsythia Thu 24-Nov-22 09:01:40

Me too. I’ve got this. No appetite, inhalers not helping so now on steroids plus antibiotics. Shivers, temperature, sore throat, awful cough. Doctor advised lots of rest.

JenniferEccles Thu 24-Nov-22 09:57:32

There was a piece about it in the Mail last week Fanny which is worth reading.
A vaccine is being developed apparently so that gives us some idea how nasty it can be for, mainly I think, the under fives.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Nov-22 10:09:24

Thanks Jennifer.
I have the Mail (😱) but I must have missed it. I’ll see if it’s online

sazz1 Fri 25-Nov-22 00:11:36

My DS and DiL both have a high temperature headache and bad cough and it's been going for 5 or 6 days now. Both have been testing negative for Covid. Niece works as a TA in a school said lots of the children have coughs and colds. Friends daughter has similar symptoms but higher temperature. Think its a nasty bug going around. Hope I don't catch it as I have lung disease.

Grannmarie Fri 25-Nov-22 00:28:57

JenniferEccles, my friend's daughter, who is immunosuppressed, was hospitalised with RSV last month. When we visited her, she was in a single room and we had to wear PPE, apron, gloves and mask.

I remember reading on GN about RSV, mainly in children, in Australia/NZ last summer/ their winter.

Grannmarie Fri 25-Nov-22 00:30:05

Maw, I hope you feel better soon. 🙏💐

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 06:47:24

Winter months are always rife with viruses. Perhaps we should all hibernate, like bears.