Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric causes iron deficiency

(20 Posts)
AussieGran59 Wed 16-Nov-22 00:02:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wyllow3 Wed 16-Nov-22 00:05:10

I take a high dose turmeric tablet every day and happened recently to have full bloods as have CFS, but iron bloods came out fine.
But it could vary from individual to individual?

Wyllow3 Wed 16-Nov-22 00:08:16

Just had a quick google. There are concerns, so it seem worth looking into if you are affected.
(my tablets say 20.000mg (as 500mg of extract).

Catterygirl Sat 26-Nov-22 14:56:11

I don’t take the tablets but eat a curry twice a week. All fingers crossed. This getting old business is not much fun but better than the alternative.

Iam64 Sat 26-Nov-22 15:03:33

I’m on blood thinners so turmeric tabs are out but I eat it in food

Ellie Anne Sat 26-Nov-22 15:58:11

That’s interesting . I was diagnosed as being very anaemic and put on iron. I’ve been taking turmeric daily for years.

JaneJudge Sat 26-Nov-22 15:59:48

I wonder why it affects iron absorption?

Farzanah Sat 26-Nov-22 16:37:20

This is very interesting. I’m a bit of a sceptic when it comes to food and vitamin supplements because there is very little good quality scientific research for their efficacy.

For anyone who has the Zoe app, there is an interesting discussion with a professor who carries out huge randomised control trials on supplements, entitled “The truth about supplements” and worth listening to.

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Nov-22 16:43:25

I've been taking Turmeric with Black Pepper capsules for a couple of years for Arthritis and it has really helped. My last iron test was fine, but I think I'll do some research.

halfpint1 Sat 26-Nov-22 17:38:20

I'm always dubious that the pharmacutical industry will put out
misinformation on a cheap alternative to deter a loss of sales.
Once out there its hard to retract from reality, its called marketing.
Remember, eggs are bad for you, butter is bad for you, honey
etc etc all proved to be wrong in the long run.
Tumeric keeps my arthritus at bay, my iron is fine

growstuff Sat 26-Nov-22 17:42:45

JaneJudge

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414192/#:~:text=Turmeric%20is%20among%20the%20spices,so%20in%20mice%20%5B3%5D.

Wyllow3 Sat 26-Nov-22 17:45:26

"Tumeric keeps my arthritis at bay, my iron is fine". Me too - I suggest people don't give up on it, but if its helping - and it helped my 88 year old friend too, substantially - have iron tests - clearly some affected, some not.

I also take Wellwoman 70+, which has iron supplement in.

growstuff Sat 26-Nov-22 17:46:06

Ferritin and iron tests are different. GPs don't usually test for Ferritin, unless you ask them.

Juliet27 Sat 26-Nov-22 17:51:38

I was taking turmeric for arthritic pain and had read recently that it can inhibit iron absorption but as my iron count is always very high it might help to reduce it.

Seakay Sat 26-Nov-22 17:53:00

The evidence about iron is from one study of mice, and one anecdotal case of a human patient.

I'm not sure if the turmeric in either case was being properly absorbed (see below), or if the iron was taken in combination with vitamin C which is necessary to enable it's easy absorption.
If not, then could that explain the turmeric and iron attaching to each other?

"Be aware that the biggest problem with turmeric is making sure that its compounds are absorbed from the gut. You will absorb little if turmeric is not taken with along with fats or oils, which is why it's best to take turmeric and curcumin with a meal containing fats or oils. Black pepper does not help with absorption"

www.consumerlab.com/answers/is-turmeric-effective-only-when-combined-with-black-pepper/turmeric-black-pepper/#:~:text=You%20will%20absorb%20little%20if,does%20not%20help%20with%20absorption.

Farzanah Sat 26-Nov-22 17:55:44

Thanks for that info growstuff. On the Zoe podcast it was mentioned that research shows that very high doses of most self administered supplements is invariably not a good thing for health and can be counter productive, unless prescribed by a doctor.

growstuff Sat 26-Nov-22 18:04:59

Interesting info Seakay. I guess the message is that if you take turmeric without any problems and it seems to be of benefit, there's probably no harm in continuing. However, if you have symptoms of anemia, it could be worth investigating further.

crazyH Sat 26-Nov-22 18:22:22

I use turmeric in most of my cooking - haven’t had a full blood test for some time 😫

MerylStreep Sat 26-Nov-22 18:30:12

Halfpint
Totally agree. My own Dr recommends turmeric but fresh if you can get it.

JaneJudge Sat 26-Nov-22 18:53:57

growstuff

JaneJudge

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414192/#:~:text=Turmeric%20is%20among%20the%20spices,so%20in%20mice%20%5B3%5D.

thank you for posting that growstuff