Gransnet forums

Health

Face masks and cold blisters

(28 Posts)
M0nica Wed 29-Dec-21 10:36:38

Over the last week I have worn a facemask for a prolonged period, 3 times (6 hours, 2 hours, 3 hours). Yesterday I woke up wth a cold blister one side of my nose and today I have a matching one the other side.

A google search has produced links suggesting that the micro climate between mask and face could be contributory to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem.

I rarely have cold blisters under normal circumstances and certainly not 2 full blown ones on my nose.

Coastpath Wed 29-Dec-21 10:50:30

I woke up with a cold sore last month for the first time in decades. I wonder if there is a link?

It was very annoying as, after 2 years of waiting I'd finally got a dental appointment for that day and of course the dentist won't see you if you have a cold sore.

Snorkmaidenn Wed 29-Dec-21 10:59:20

Yes, I have suffered sores at corners of mouth and my daughter has grown a fine crop of spots in mouth area.
I have used blistex and seems to help.

GagaJo Wed 29-Dec-21 11:01:39

I've not had any problems at all, despite wearing masks most of the day while teaching. Maybe it's the type of mask? I wear FFP3/N95 masks. They don't rest on the mouth (helps me when talking to a class) so there isn't anything rubbing on my mouth or nose.

Hetty58 Wed 29-Dec-21 11:05:43

Yes, I've had them a lot recently (never before) so I'm sure that wearing a mask creates ideal humid conditions for them.

My nurse friend wears masks for 12 hour shifts on Covid wards. She has a face full of spots!

M0nica Wed 29-Dec-21 11:13:38

I am interested to know others have the same problems. I also have a bad cold at the moment. Not to be confused with COVID as I do not have a headache, a temperature, a sore throat, nor am I coughing. I just have cold blisters and a runny nose.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Dec-21 11:24:36

I’ve had sore lips now for several weeks, coincidentally (?) I stopped wearing disposable face masks a while ago and stared wearing the reusable/washable cotton type, I now have a cold sore.
I didn’t put two and two together until I saw this thread……

M0nica Wed 29-Dec-21 11:40:53

*Oopsadaisy, that is interesting because I too have made the same transfer recently because the disposable masks fitted so badly, gaping at the sides, no matter what I did.

Cloth masks may cause bacteria to build up because they are more effective at blocking leakage round the sides) while the disposals allow a gale to blow through from one side to the other.

GagaJo Wed 29-Dec-21 11:44:47

The surgical masks (N95) don't have gaping? Perhaps better fitting masks would be helpful. In addition, cloth masks are reported not to be much protection against Omicron.

lemsip Wed 29-Dec-21 11:54:43

you need to moisturise the area that your mask covers or it will dry out and break into sores/spots...
also when you blow your nose especially if you have a cold then wash the nose, mouth lips after each blowing or you will get cold sores.

spottybook Wed 29-Dec-21 12:54:03

Same for me. I ditched the disposable ones and returned to my cotton ones with resulting cold sores. Back now to the disposable ones, not a cold sore in sight.

Oldbat1 Wed 29-Dec-21 13:14:50

I woke up with a cold sore Christmas Day. I normally get at least one each winter anyway. Didn’t give mask wearing a thought as I only wear a mask when I go out food shopping once a week or to go to the garage for fuel. Luckily I keep a new tube of cold sore ointment in medicine box so it was short lived.

Nannan2 Wed 29-Dec-21 13:23:05

I read also that a lack vitamin B12 can cause corners of mouth to crack etc.

M0nica Wed 29-Dec-21 16:58:01

No problems with my lips or skin. I am a lavish user of moisteriser every morning and spend several minutes massaging it in. I also usually only wear masks for half an hour or so once or twice a week. But in the last week, I have exceptionally worn masks for longer periods several times.

I was wearing cloth masks for about 6 weeks before this last exceptional week, so I am clearly connecting them to wearing masks for prolonged periods. I have also developed streaming cold over the course of today, although I do not usually have cold sores with colds. I do not have COVID as I completed a LFT earlier this afternoon and it came out negative.

I will stick to cloth masks, as I find them more comfortable and easier to breathe through. The disposable masks I used were the standard ones. However I will in future wear disposables if I am likely to be wearing one for over an hour.

Nonogran Wed 29-Dec-21 17:12:17

If your immune system is low & clearly it might be given you have a cold, take a Zinc supplement for the rest of the winter & beyond.
I have suffered cold sores since childhood usually brought on by a cold, stress, exhaustion or sun light which activates the dormant virus. After a series of 14 sores one after the other during a winter 7 years ago, it was recommended I take zinc.
I haven’t had one since.

Marmite32 Wed 29-Dec-21 17:23:59

That's an interesting connection - wearing a mask helps create an ideal environment for the herpes virus to flourish.
Similar to my dose of shingles which started on my face and head from a different virus .
Both resident in our systems, ready to flare up.

mokryna Wed 29-Dec-21 17:27:25

Yes, my DD suffers from them. She works for the NHS, therefore has to wear one all the time but changes the morning mask for a new one after lunch.

AreWeThereYet Wed 29-Dec-21 17:39:09

Many years ago I used to get constant cold sores on one side of my lips. I would get rid of one only to get another. I finally nailed it down to switching between extreme temperatures eg getting out of hot car into cold air, or sitting by a fire then going into a cold room. Haven't had any from wearing masks, nor heard of anyone else getting them.

Mogsmaw Wed 29-Dec-21 18:59:14

I worked in the semiconductor industry for 17 years and we had to wear mask for the 12 hour shifts. I can tell you from my, and my colleague experience masks don’t necessarily increase herpes outbreaks but they will make them spread more widely when you do have an episode.
Please don’t give up on masks in public places

M0nica Thu 30-Dec-21 08:47:28

I have no intention of not wearing a mask. I have done it from the start when the government was saying it wasn't necessary, and I am not stopping now, but I do intend to wear disposable masks when, very occasionally, I need to wear a mask for over an hour.

Esspee Thu 30-Dec-21 10:55:06

Interesting. ?
My OH had a cold sore just after we arrived in Texas having worn a mask for over 16 hours. I thought it was the sudden exposure to the sun but perhaps not.
We have another long haul flight in a month’s time. I think I’ll suggest some cold sore cream befor putting on the masks.

Chestnut Thu 30-Dec-21 11:03:17

I'm afraid to post this, but I also read that we are breathing in micro-plastic particles from the masks directly into our lungs which could cause lung problems. I don't know how true this is, but it sounds worrying, especially for people wearing them all day at work. I suppose it's not a natural state of affairs, having that thing clamped over your face all day. Maybe again it depends on the type of mask? I don't know.

bevisp1 Thu 30-Dec-21 11:13:23

In the time since having to wear face masks i have just started getting dry lips and since Christmas have had coldsore like blisters. I think the material in the deposable masks irritate my skin but also I note that the winter with central heating can dry my skin out more, the blisters may well be something’s I’ve eaten over Xmas like crisps that had a lot of cheesy powder over them may have well irritated my lip. Regardless I think facemasks are irritating people’s faces, I keep moisturising with Vaseline but feel this is making problem worse. Any ideas from anyone would be gladly appreciated. I wear deposable face masks for work which is only 2 days a week, other times I try and wear any other kind like cotton. Of course I think moisture that occurs is affecting the lip area.

bevisp1 Thu 30-Dec-21 11:19:36

That’s interesting to know, as August 2022 we are flying from England to Canada for our son’s wedding. I will do all I can not to develop any cold sores possibly caused by a disposable mask when flying on a non stop 9 hr flight... must remember this.

maddyone Thu 30-Dec-21 11:27:28

What I have found is that the surgical masks, the blue ones, cause my nose to itch. I can cope with that, but when I wear one for a whole visit with mum in her care home, and am speaking to her, the fact that I’m breathing in through my mouth as I speak, has twice caused me to have asthma attacks. I’m on steroids for the asthma at the moment, and it doesn’t happen when I’m on oral steroids. I’m not allowed to wear a cotton home made mask in the care home, it must be one of their surgical masks.