Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Pace Egging

(16 Posts)
Baggs Sun 17-Apr-22 09:13:39

We used to do this. I forget whether it was in Dundee, Edinburgh or Oxford where we didn't get to eat the eggs because ducks beat us to it. ??? ?

Jaxjacky Sun 17-Apr-22 08:55:34

I didn’t know it was called that, we just called it egg rolling, decorated the hard boiled eggs and then rolled them down a hill to see who won.
I think it started with my family who lived in Scotland when I was small, my children did it and our grandchildren too.

posset Sun 17-Apr-22 08:48:37

Yes, I remember pace egging in Cumbria (Cumberland back in the day). We did exactly the same as you LadyHonoriaDedlock. Was talking to my partner earlier this morning abut it and he had never heard of it, he's a Londoner. I guess it is just a northern thing.

Georgesgran Sun 17-Apr-22 00:17:16

Yes. Yammy egg jarping is something my DF used to talk about.
Think conkers without the strings! ?

Yammy Sun 17-Apr-22 00:11:59

We pace egged in the north west but it was called Egg dumping, look up egg jarping for the north east the same thing .You each took turns to see whose egg would break the eggs were boiled with onion skins or cochineal to die them.

Shandy57 Sat 16-Apr-22 23:55:53

We used to take the kids to the local castle to roll their eggs down the moat, the crows would then eat them smile

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 16-Apr-22 23:52:35

Georgesgran

That’s my first pace egg - it’s 70 years old!

Love it!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 16-Apr-22 23:52:14

I should have mentioned that my pace-egging experience was on the Wirral but the rituals belonged to my parents who came from much further north. My mum's family came from Maryport on the south side of the Solway indeed.

There are records of Mummers in Wirral but it had died out by the 60s. Also records of a long-gone pace-egging ritual where children went from farm to farm like Hallowe'en guisers, asking for pace-eggs on pain of a curse on the chickens. I didn't know anybody in my Infants and Junior schools there who did any form of pace-egging.

Mogsmaw Sat 16-Apr-22 23:31:50

My husband’s mum, now him, have always insisted eggshells should be crushed “to save the witches using them to sink ships”. I’ve never known anyone who had heard of this before.
I have always crushed the shells.

Georgesgran Sat 16-Apr-22 23:03:36

That’s my first pace egg - it’s 70 years old!

Georgesgran Sat 16-Apr-22 23:02:13

I believe Pace eggs - (pronounced pace to rhyme with race) are a Northern thing - Durham/Northumberland/
Lancs/Yorks. Pace comes from Pascha - Latin for Easter. Just an ordinary egg, hard boiled with onion skins to make a pattern.
Some areas rolled the eggs down hills, but I think Lancashire had Mummers and when eaten the egg shells had to be crushed to pieces to prevent witches using them as boats.

Esspee Sat 16-Apr-22 22:51:41

Never heard of pace egging. Must be a local thing if you are in the U.K. When I was young we used to go to the local park with a hill and roll our eggs down it.
I would be interested in how it is pronounced OP.

crazyH Sat 16-Apr-22 22:47:49

Not heard of pace egging

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Apr-22 22:43:39

Mumming yes, here in the UK most eggs are brown anyway but we would dye ones that weren't with flowers

BlueBelle Sat 16-Apr-22 22:40:37

What’s pace egging never heard of it ?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 16-Apr-22 22:38:17

Will any of you be pace-egging this Easter weekend? Did you have any pace-egging rituals when you were younger?

As a child my sister and I used to hard-boil eggs in water with onion skins in to make them brown. On Easter Day we rolled them down a grassy slope to see which went further, or rolled them against each other to see which one would crack. Then, obviously, we ate the eggs.

I don't recall any Pace Egg plays or Mummers Plays though. Do you?