Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

G’day or Hiya

(40 Posts)
Platypus Fri 09-Jul-21 14:52:10

Hi from about 50 miles south of Sydney, Australia. I’m the child of a Ten Pound Pom, who really should have jumped back on the boat to the motherland, so I was brought up British amongst the colonials. That hasn’t always worked out so well - I’m a bit of an in-betweener - don’t really belong here but don’t really belong there.
I’ve been lurking around Gransnet a while, too scared to say boo but today, summed up the courage.
I love reading everything on here and love everyone’s varied opinions - you do make me giggle sometimes.
Anyway hiya or g’day or probably a bit of both !

Aveline Fri 09-Jul-21 14:59:12

G'Day yourself Platypus. I loved Australia when I visited a couple of times and always enjoy TV programmes set there. Currently watching 'Offspring'. I think it's set in Melbourne. I liked Melbourne but unexpectedly just fell in love with Sydney.

Blossoming Fri 09-Jul-21 15:14:28

Hi there Platypus

Charleygirl5 Fri 09-Jul-21 15:17:18

I just would say hi.

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Jul-21 15:21:29

How you going Platypus? smile

welbeck Fri 09-Jul-21 15:21:57

hello. and welcome on board.
waves across the ocean.

Scentia Fri 09-Jul-21 15:44:37

Good afternoon Platypus. I was a ten pound Pom but in South Africa rather than Oz. We only stayed 2 years until my mum got home sick. Wish we would have gone to Oz she may have stuck around.

AGAA4 Fri 09-Jul-21 16:19:58

Hello Platypus.

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Jul-21 16:26:24

Welcome Platypus ?

Sar53 Fri 09-Jul-21 16:45:31

Hi to you Platypus, lovely to see you here.

I have two lots of aunts and uncles who were '£10 Poms* and they all still live in Australia. All in their late 70's and 80's now. xx

BlueBelle Fri 09-Jul-21 18:47:36

Hi there platypus nice to hear from you
Do any of us ever really fit in ?
I hope you enjoy your time here no one really bites just bares their teeth occasionally but also lots of fun and good humour and care in times of trouble

Mapleleaf Fri 09-Jul-21 18:52:48

Hello Platypus. Welcome to the forums. ?

sodapop Fri 09-Jul-21 20:55:31

Hi Platypus welcome to GN. Some ups and downs on here but lots of support and fun.

Platypus Fri 09-Jul-21 21:05:36

Awww thanks everyone for the lovely warm welcome. I think I shall enjoy my time here and enjoy some laughs.

Infinity2 Fri 09-Jul-21 21:08:23

Welcome ! I’m another newbie so glad I’m not the only new girl in the class ! We had an ancestor who was transported to Australia ( for sheep stealing - so it was a good choice of destination ? ) at least your family arrived voluntarily and have thrived !

ElaineI Fri 09-Jul-21 21:13:13

Hi Platypus. We were meant to visit our relatives in Perth last April from Scotland. Had booked to go to Sydney too. Covid cancelled the lot and we've only just had some money back. DH had a stroke in Feb so don't know if we will ever get there. Love the news from our relatives though - keeps us going! We were also going to Bali while we were there so that was also cancelled. Looks like a couple of days as a staycation is what we will be having this year. Anyway welcome to the site x

Aldom Fri 09-Jul-21 21:18:17

Welcome Platypus I have family north of Sydney and I have enjoyed several long visits. Hope you enjoy Gransnet. smile

MayBee70 Fri 09-Jul-21 21:18:42

Platypus

Hi from about 50 miles south of Sydney, Australia. I’m the child of a Ten Pound Pom, who really should have jumped back on the boat to the motherland, so I was brought up British amongst the colonials. That hasn’t always worked out so well - I’m a bit of an in-betweener - don’t really belong here but don’t really belong there.
I’ve been lurking around Gransnet a while, too scared to say boo but today, summed up the courage.
I love reading everything on here and love everyone’s varied opinions - you do make me giggle sometimes.
Anyway hiya or g’day or probably a bit of both !

Hi there. I quite often listen to Radio Sport 927 or occasionally Radio Melbourne (on Melbourne Cup Day) and pretend I’m in Australia. I like the way they talk about precipitation and there are adverts for Peter the Possum man (he’ll help you if you can….). I do tend to err towards g’day when I’ve been listening to them. Although I don’t really meet anyone to say it to much these days.

Juliet27 Fri 09-Jul-21 21:46:31

Hi there Platypus. As both my kids live in Australia, one in the Blue Mountains and one near Engadene, I welcome any news of your country.

CanadianGran Fri 09-Jul-21 21:47:57

Hello and welcome! I just read about Ten Pound Pom scheme a while ago, and am curious. If your parents immigrated after the war, were you born there? If so, why wouldn't you feel like a true Australian culturally?

My parents immigrated to Canada in the late 50's from UK and France, but I was born here and I am Canadian through and through!

mokryna Fri 09-Jul-21 22:04:23

Hi platypus , hope all is well with you and yours. I remember visiting a lovely place near you call Pebble Beach. My first encounter with the beautiful colorful birds and the kangaroos. We had to hurriedly pack up our beach picnic and finish it in the car because the kangaroos wanted to dip their noses into our bags and as their claws were the same height as the children we were a bit worried. However we had a lovely time in a house we rented by a lake,

Infinity2 Fri 09-Jul-21 22:27:22

Elaine1 - sorry to hear about your DH. Hoping he makes a full recovery and you can get back on track with your future plans ?

timetogo2016 Fri 09-Jul-21 22:48:31

Hi platypus.
You would be welcome back here by all of us i am sure anytime.
But hi to you anyway.

Platypus Sat 10-Jul-21 10:42:07

Awwww thanks again for the warm welcome - from all you in the motherland!

Aldom Sat 10-Jul-21 11:43:23

Platypus Have you thought about joining the Good Morning thread. You'd be writing at the other end of the day, I know, but others in Oz go on there. smile