Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Do you workout as much as you should??

(32 Posts)
nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:20:42

Answer truthfully! I have fits and starts with all good intentions. I have a cross trainer at home, an exercise ball and some hand weights - so the intention is there! I follow workouts online and I'm pleased with myself afterwards that I am doing something and certain I will do the same the following day...then it just stops!

NellG Fri 19-Feb-21 13:25:00

I think the trick is to find something you really enjoy doing and that you want to do again. For me it's dance workouts - I am absolutely useless, no coordination whatsoever but I enjoy them immensely and look forward to doing them.

Everything else I tried felt like a huge chore and would always fizzle out.

MayBee70 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:25:53

No. Not since I stopped going to the gym because of covid. I did plan to do a few minutes exercise every hour (walk upstairs, do a quick plank and a few tie touches etc, walk back downstairs) but slipped out of the habit it worries me how unfit I have become especially as the weather is so awful and I don’t want to go for walks. I can’t use a cross trainer as the sideways movement hurts my knees.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:27:09

I have so little motivation. I’ll do something one day - and enjoy it - and plan for day 2. Then nothing. I walk most days but even that is getting boring.

MayBee70 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:28:23

My friend recommended the awesome fifties utube indoor walking workout. I’m going to check it out.

Antonia Fri 19-Feb-21 13:30:11

I very foolishly agreed to my sister's suggestion that we did workouts together. She's very much into fitness. I am not. All went well for a couple of weeks, until she thought it was time to do a bit more. She had me doing 24 squats holding baked bean tins. My thighs reacted and now I can barely walk without pain. It's my own fault, I should never have agreed to it.

nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:35:02

Some of these responses made me smile - I'm with you polarbear2!

Redhead56 Fri 19-Feb-21 15:29:29

I struggle just getting around when I first get up because of my joints. On a good day I can have a jig around the house with music on or potter around my raised beds outside. I was extremely fit when younger and very active sadly that's just memories.

Cass64 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:01:57

I wish... I had to give up Zumba on doctors orders he said if I kept on I would need a new knee within a few years. I also have artrose in my hips knees and feet.

Ive tried pilates at home but she said stretch and my hand hit the wall, lay down and the dog tried to give me CPR. yuk

So I just stick to the walking, we walk about 10km a day with our dogs and I take my camera with me so while Im snapping away it doesnt ever get boring.

Id like to do more but its finding the right motivation , the right level and the space and time to do it.

Esspee Sat 20-Feb-21 14:32:30

I missed the gym today. Have done for the last 32 years ?

annsixty Sat 20-Feb-21 14:56:06

Esspee
? my sort of girl.

tidyskatemum Sat 20-Feb-21 15:00:54

As long as it’s not bucketing down first thing in the morning I’m up and out for walkies at virtually first light before all the families come out. I can have a socially distanced walk of about 6 miles and pass the time of day with the few other early birds. Exercise classes/going to the gym have never appealed so I’m definitely not missing them.

libra10 Sat 20-Feb-21 15:01:32

I walk my dog every day for approximately 2 miles.

Sometimes we bat along at a great pace, others he seems to want to sniff at everything.

My exercise level depends on him, but I do enjoy our daily walks and it seems to keep us both fit.

Humduh Thu 10-Jun-21 16:10:33

Me too

V3ra Thu 10-Jun-21 16:36:46

We were able to return to our club swimming pool last weekend for the first time in over a year. A pre-booked one hour session, so allowing for drying off afterwards we swam for a good 45 minutes.
The seven other people in the pool did little apart from bob around and chat. I did think they might just as well have met over a bottle of wine on the patio!

AGAA4 Thu 10-Jun-21 16:55:14

I have tried various types of exercise but the only one I do every day is walking. I live in a hilly area so it is good aerobic exercise and the countryside is lovely here.

nightowl Thu 10-Jun-21 17:40:43

I’m a servant to a horse. Hard physical work every day but it never feels like a chore smile. I’m allergic to any other form of exercise.

JackyB Thu 10-Jun-21 17:45:58

Having seen how people can degenerate after a fall, I know I should do something to keep my strength up to prevent having falls at all when I get old and frail, even if it is just walking. I haven't even been doing that recently because DH has a slipped disc and has been housebound.

When I do think to do exercises, it's usually just after a meal or when I'm supposed to be getting the next meal ready.

When do you all find the time?

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:48:56

I spend so much time working hard in the garden, or decorating, sanding, painting, etc- that I have little time to use exercise machines or gyms. Much prefer to walk in countryside or swim.

Judy54 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:50:50

Never been into the gym or workouts. I normally do Tai Chi once a week and am currently waiting for the class to open up again. I find it good for stretching and balance and for me it is much more enjoyable than strenuous exercise.

M0nica Thu 10-Jun-21 17:55:43

Why should I work out at all, let alone have workouts I should do?

I walk a lot - and fast, I live in a rural area we are surrocunded by fields, woods and footpaths. I love walking everywhere and litening to the birds or watching the changing seasons.We have a big garden and I am the gardener and enjoy regular sessions of Tai Chi.

Should do workouts? Bah, humbug.

Chardy Thu 10-Jun-21 18:06:15

I walk the dogs for 1 hr+ every day, so I average my 10k steps, but that is my lot.

PinkCakes Thu 10-Jun-21 18:10:27

I do Zumba a couple of times a week, and Aqua aerobics twice as well. Other than that, a bit of gardening when I can be bothered, and washing the car once a fortnight.

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:14:20

I garden and go for walks outdoors, push the vacuum around quite a large house and enjoy ball games like tennis and table tennis when possible (I have arthritis).
Is that enough? It feels like it.
I applaud Grans who do more ?

Calendargirl Thu 10-Jun-21 18:49:53

I go to aquacise three times a week, swim once a week, walk with a friend once a week, average about 5 miles a time.

Walk into town several days a week, try not to drive unnecessarily.

Never gone to a gym.