Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

New to Gransnet?

(804 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Sep-18 10:53:26

Any new joiners? smile If you've recently signed up to Gransnet or have been around a while but haven't got round to posting anything yet, please pop over to Welcome to Gransnet to introduce yourself and have a virtual cup of cafe or wine.

starrygran Thu 13-Sep-18 11:12:06

Hello, I'm sort of new to Gransnet. I joined a month or so ago - I think it was either from Facebook or a google search for something - but hadn't managed to summon up the courage to post on a thread just yet. I do read most of the threads though and enjoy getting the newsletter which gives me a snippet of the conversations of the day if I've not been online for some reason. It's great to have so many views in one place. Too early in the day for me for wine ;) but I'll happily partake in the tea and cake!

BlueBelle Fri 14-Sep-18 07:55:25

Just a quick welcome Starrygran I hope you don’t lurk in the background but get stuck in joining us for a bit of chatter of all types some you ll agree with some you ll hate but usually with a lot of humour

MTVO Fri 14-Sep-18 15:15:05

Hello all,
I joined Gransnet yesterday, found it while I was looking for an alternative to the old Streetlife site, which I still miss.
Gransnet feels like a nice friendly community, I look forward to “chatting” online and making some new friends.

Charleygirl Fri 14-Sep-18 16:38:14

I agree, I used to like Streetlife also and I cannot get used to its so called replacement, Nextdoor because it gives away too much personal information.

CocoPops Fri 14-Sep-18 19:17:26

Hi, Joined today. Found Gransnet via The Telegraph. Expat living in the Pacific Northwest. Good to read Brit discussions.

kittylester Sat 15-Sep-18 08:17:19

Hello and welcome to all newbies. Please do join in!

Bretonneau Sat 15-Sep-18 14:12:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kittylester Sat 15-Sep-18 16:02:03

Reported

Suzanne60 Sat 15-Sep-18 22:43:50

Hi, just found gransnet whilst searching for advice. I am about to retire, my husband is four years younger than i and seems to be extremely jealous that i sm retiring first! He doesn't seem to realise/understand that i was working whilst he was still in education. It is really getting me down. Any suggestions how to deal with this please?

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 06:51:41

Hi Suzanne - welcome to gn. It might be a good idea to start a specific thread as not many people will read and answer on this one.

hillwalker70 Sun 16-Sep-18 07:34:27

Hi, I am fairly new to G.net but it is not really for me, yet to find someone on my wavelength, all seems a bit town/suburban, a bit Buckinghamshire. I am looking for a women only, rural matters, no O.H’s as they all sound a total pain and why don’t the aggrieved women just leave for heavens sake. It’s all complaining, nastiness, absolutely no sisterhood, far too much fashion and make up, not enough calm, peace or stillness for me.

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 07:36:55

I hope you find the ideal place for you, hillwalker

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 07:55:27

Sorry Hillwalker G N has not come up to your expectations.

I have found some lovely, funny, supportive friends on GN, such as Kitty.

I steer clear of any nastiness and post threads on my own interests.

Finally I live in Buckhamshire and really don’t know what the problem is. We don’t all regularly drink champagne or call each other Dahling. Having said that I do enjoy an occasional drink ?

Hope you find what you are looking for.

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 08:09:12

Kate grin

hillwalker70 Sun 16-Sep-18 08:41:59

Ahh, alcohol, the thief that creeps into your mouth and steals your brain.

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Sep-18 10:05:27

Each to their own, hillwalker.

Welcome, starrygran, MTVO, Cocopops, Suzanne60, and I hope you stay with us and find out for yourselves which threads interest you and which other GNers are on your wavelength (we’re from all areas and backgrounds). smile

Can I recommend the Book Club? There’s a free book to apply for every month on the Competitions page (the October offering should be on there soon), and they lead to some good discussions on the Book Club thread.

oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 10:09:29

I live in a slum in Salford. Not very rural, although we do have rats.

Willow500 Sun 16-Sep-18 10:18:06

Welcome to all - this is a great place to air views, debate serious or funny subjects and just generally hang out if you are looking for companionship smile

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 10:20:05

But is primarily intended to welcome new members - not be controversial.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Sep-18 10:50:56

hillwalker may I suggest that you have a look at soop's kitchen and see if it comes up to your expectations? If it does not then GN is definitely not for you.

Atqui Sun 16-Sep-18 12:52:58

hillwalker I'm sure I've seen some chat rooms for hill walkers online, though whets they were just for women I can't say!

Atqui Sun 16-Sep-18 12:53:16

Whether

hillwalker70 Sun 16-Sep-18 13:56:14

Thanks charleygirl, had a look at kitchen thread, NO WAY, too many fluffy women, not enough substance, shame really, waste of a Forum that could be of use to people who live alone but have interests outside of clothes and cooking.

annsixty Sun 16-Sep-18 14:07:25

What a charmer you are hillwalker
I think the only thing you can do is to start your own forum of like-minded people and leave this one to we fluffy, woolyminded and boring but oh so friendly, caring and compassionate folk.