Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Feel bad for being 2nd

(10 Posts)
Water69 Sat 26-Nov-22 00:31:32

I am trying to be positive but is getting hard. My son and daughter -in-law and grand kids used to take turns with the other grandparents for being together for Christmas and other holidays. But the last 2 years they have been only with her family. My son is an only child so no cousins for the grandkids to play with. But they are still young. 3 and 7. My daughter-in law has 3 siblings with kids, so lots of cousins. They live in Ca and we are in the Midwest so we do not see them very much. Any suggestions on how to handle this ? I do not want to be a pain but miss them on holidays Thank-you for any suggestions.

Ro60 Sat 26-Nov-22 00:36:28

Invite them!

Hithere Sat 26-Nov-22 00:59:06

Celebrate holidays early or late- not the same day of the holiday

How about meeting them in other occassions that are not tied to holidays?
Good company is good regardless of the ocassion

Granny23 Sat 26-Nov-22 00:59:52

Remember that Christmas is a season, not just one day. Also my immediate thought is that it must (unless you have health problems) be easier and cheaper for you to travel to see them than for 4 of them to come to you. Why not consider booking yourselves a short break near to them, just before or after Christmas Day. Take their presents and spend some time with the DGC?

NotSpaghetti Sat 26-Nov-22 01:04:35

Are the whole family in California? It's obviously easier to catch up with them all if they are all living nearby. It's a long drive with little ones - I haven't done it but would guess 24 hrs?

Maybe invite them to you next year as Ro suggests and meanwhile maybe invite them over the summer holiday period for a few days?
Alternatively, could you rent a holiday house in CA for a few days? I expect that depending on where you are in the Midwest, you can get a return flight for $200 (if you can be a bit flexible on dates)...
It may be easier for you to visit CA than for them to come to you.

This is the problem that many of us face when we have adult children living at a distance. It's a pity in some ways but we have encouraged our children to become independent and spread their wings so sadly this is one of the consequences of that.

Thinking of you.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 26-Nov-22 06:28:13

Go to them, rent something nearby and make a holiday of it, much easier for the 2 of you to go visit and not just at Christmas either, try to go and see them more often.

M0nica Sat 26-Nov-22 06:47:05

Why do people spend so much time feeling bad about themselves. Living a long way from your children and grandchildren is quite a common situation, as is not having cousins, in these days of smaller families. These problems arise frequently. They are situations millions of families face.

The thing to do is look for solutions. Talk to your son, ask him whether he has any suggestions. In the posts above mine people have suggested lots of different situations, which you can discuss with him.

Situations like this are caused because people sit around 'feeling bad' instead of standing up and finding solutions, of which the first step is to talk to the other people involved about the difficulty.

notgran Sat 26-Nov-22 08:41:37

"Situations like this are caused because people sit around 'feeling bad' instead of standing up and finding solutions, of which the first step is to talk to the other people involved about the difficulty."
I couldn't have put it better myself M0nica.

Water69 Sat 26-Nov-22 19:35:04

Thank-you for all the suggestions! Will try some of them!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Nov-22 19:40:18

Absolutely M0nica! Why don’t people just talk?!