Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

22 year old son expecting a baby need advice

(47 Posts)
Mummykins Sun 20-Nov-22 13:05:46

My son and his 22 year old girl friend are expecting a baby in March 2022/ She was initially going to abort but changed my mind.

I am going through an acrimonious divorce where my STBXH do not speak. Quite frankly I am worried sick about how they are going to cope. They are very immature and I don't think the realise what they are committing to.

Everyone tells me it will work out but will it? I am worried sick about them. I am 57 work full time so cannot help during the day. I know I should feel happy but I only feel dread. A baby is a blessing and part of me is excited but 75% of me is scared still for their future, He works (not great pay) and she works part time in a discount store.

Anyone got any advice?

Baggs Sun 20-Nov-22 13:08:12

Leave them to it except in emergencies and for normal visits. People as young as them have been managing for millenia.

Oldbat1 Sun 20-Nov-22 13:19:03

This used to be the normal age for children to arrive. My dad used to say you’ve made your bed now lie on it. Sounds harsh but I’d left home married aged 18 and never another penny did we receive and we moved to another part of the UK to get work. We made it.

tanith Sun 20-Nov-22 13:27:04

They’ll manage like millions of others before them. Just look forward to enjoying your Grandchild when it comes.

Kate1949 Sun 20-Nov-22 13:36:13

I was 19 when I had our daughter. I knew nothing about babies and we had very little money. We all survived.

Retread Sun 20-Nov-22 13:40:38

A nephew and his girlfriend were in a similar situation at that age and his parents were worried too. Guess what? An adored baby was born and the young couple rose to the occasion and are exemplary parents. smile

GrannyLaine Sun 20-Nov-22 13:42:39

Does anyone really know what they are committing to when they have their first baby? We were the same age as your son, we did ok.
All you can do is love and support them in whatever way you can.

pascal30 Sun 20-Nov-22 13:46:02

I had my son at 23. Both sets of grandparents lived on the other side of the country. We made friends with other new parents.. None of us had very much money but we swapped clothes and support.. It was the best time... let them sort themselves out, we create dependency..

LOUISA1523 Sun 20-Nov-22 14:26:37

You leave them to it OP...I'm 57 same as you with x 2 GD ...my DD had her first at 21 and my son at 20.... 22 is not a teenager...your DS is an adult....he will grow up a bit faster with a baby to care for......justbe there for them....give them support, love and a few quid..they will be fine

LOUISA1523 Sun 20-Nov-22 14:27:15

X 3 GD that should read 😁

ginny Sun 20-Nov-22 15:05:26

Exactly what pascal30 said.

Enjoy !

Hithere Sun 20-Nov-22 16:05:08

They will manage and cope!

Worrying for something outside your control is poinless

NotTooOld Sun 20-Nov-22 17:59:25

It'll be a shock but then most of us were shocked when our first baby arrived. I certainly was! You mean I've got to look after this baby ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT? They'll be fine. Just be there for them but don't take over.

PoppyBlue Sun 20-Nov-22 18:19:17

I was expecting my second at 22.
Honestly, it will be fine.

Just be there for both of them. It might be nice for you to reach out to his GF? Support her and build a relationship with her thanks

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 20-Nov-22 18:52:43

I had 2 by the time I was 22!
No money but we all managed.

Lucca Sun 20-Nov-22 18:57:12

What is STBXH ?

And 22 is plenty old enough for two adults to look after one baby.

bluebird243 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:04:29

I had my first son when I was 21, my husband was 23. We'd been married nearly 3 years and the baby was planned. I/we coped just fine and had no problems. I loved being a mum. We had no help at all from parents/family.

Your son and GF should be fine.

bluebird243 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:05:00

STBXH = soon to be ex husband

grannyrebel7 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:06:19

I was 22 also when my first baby arrived. We coped, but it was hard at times. He went to uni and is a successful investment banker now, so we didn't do a bad job.

Elegran Sun 20-Nov-22 19:26:54

It just shows how deeply transitioning has cut into our language that on reading the title I thought at first that your son had transitioned from a daughter and was now himself (who used to be herself) expecting that baby.

Then I realised it is his girl-friend who is actually expecting/pregnant. I agree with othe posters, by the way, that there is nothing extraordinary about them having a baby at that age, and they will cope fine. It won't be easy and there will be hard work for all, and you had better be prepared to be very positive and encouraging, but the arrival of a new life will be a reason for joy, just you wait and see.

HeavenLeigh Sun 20-Nov-22 19:44:43

I was 21 when I had my first.nobody knows how they will cope do they until they go through it, of course it’s a huge life changer but I’d hold back and give advice if asked, millions have had babies much younger age, pointless worrying about it, just stay calm and let them enjoy their baby, support when necessary

Luckygirl3 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:47:58

And other problem is .......? This is the best time biologically to have babies.

Congratulations on impending grandmotherhood.

Your post implies that they will not cope without you, given that you have little time to spare. They will find ways of coping, just as we all did at whatever age.

welbeck Sun 20-Nov-22 20:19:12

you are perhaps projecting your anxiety about your situation and changes onto them and theirs.
you have to let them live their own lives and accept that they are adults.
maybe it makes you feel stronger to see yourself as the problem-solving mother rather than as a STBXW.
i reckon things will pan out ok for you.
one step at a time.
good luck.

pinkprincess Sun 20-Nov-22 20:37:59

My son was 19 when he became a father, he is now a grandfather

Hellogirl1 Sun 20-Nov-22 20:47:30

I had my first at 20, hubby was 19, by 28 I had 5, not much money, but we always managed.