Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Lone grandparenting: How to take toddler to swimming

(22 Posts)
mrsbirdy Wed 16-Nov-22 10:16:06

Hi Please share how you would take a toddler to the leisure centre swimming on your own!

TerriBull Wed 16-Nov-22 11:39:07

I'd go to your leisure centre first, look at the changing rooms and see what facilities they have there, such as a playpen. Many of the young mothers where I go, admittedly quite a small health club, put their toddlers in the playpen sited in the middle of the changing room, so they can get dressed and undressed themselves whilst they are talking to their child.

I did take my own children on my own when they were toddlers, yes all a bit of a faff when still in nappies, there were some special waterproof baby swimming shorts if I remember rightly. I have only taken my grandchildren post nappy stage and singly at that. I get them showered and dressed first and give them a snack whilst I do the same usually worked when they were little.

Needless to say you can't take your eyes off them once in the pool, but sometimes the palaver involved is worth their enjoyment.

Good luck mrsbirdy.

wildswan16 Wed 16-Nov-22 13:25:30

Put swimming costumes on before you go. When finished, have a towelling robe for yourself to wear and keep a bit warm while drying/dressing toddler. Give toddler a biscuit. Get dry and dressed yourself.

Quokka Wed 16-Nov-22 17:02:42

I used to aim for some of the larger changing rooms. I’d never leave them alone while I get sorted. I’ve no problem with a toddler seeing me naked though I try to cover up as much as possible.

However it did mean I always left semi-dry.

Nannarose Wed 16-Nov-22 17:56:50

Agree with others: ask to have a look at the pool facilities first and work out what you would do. I've gone to many different pools with toddlers on my own. usually, it's either: share a large changing room, or use the playpen in the communal one.
I put a slip over robe on the toddler, and give them a pack of raisins to eat (because biscuits crumble on the floor!)
If you get your hair wet, use a towelling cap or 'Buff' style tube to get your hair almost dry.

If you are able to use a car it's easy! This is what I do now:
We go pool ready, in towelling robes, and take a towel, toddler underwear, and 'pool shoes'. We look daft (who cares?). After swim, toddler costume off, underwear on and towelling robe. Me, quick towel over costume to get the drips off and pull on robe. Change shoes, straight out to the car, put the heater on! Proper change at home.

LOUISA1523 Wed 16-Nov-22 18:42:59

It is a proper faff I found.....I'm 57 now and took my 3 GD ( singularly) as toddlers to lessons where I was in the water too... I found it much harder in my 50s than when I took mine in my 20s ....I was exhausted after each session....but 8t is doable....definitely take snakcs for when they are dressed and you need to sort yourself out.....I used to tell my DD to give them easy to put on clothes ....usually a onsie over a nappy.....I would then bundle them into the car and finish hair at home.....I take my eldest GD now once a week...but she's 7 now...so much easier

Nannarose Wed 16-Nov-22 18:56:20

PS: I pray we don't have a breakdown or accident dressed like that!

ParlorGames Wed 16-Nov-22 19:07:18

Most swimming centres have family changing rooms. Put swimwear on at home to speed up time getting in the pool. Have easy clothing for after the swim and a snack or toy to distract the little one whilst you get dried and dressed.
More importantly.......have fun! smile

JackyB Thu 17-Nov-22 08:09:25

Leave yourselves plenty of time to get dressed and undressed so you don't get stressed. Important for the toddler who is in unfamiliar surroundings and very important that you be in a good mood and the child learns that playing in water is fun.

Is the little one enrolled for a course or are you just going for a swim/splash about.

Going swimming late afternoon is a good idea because you can change them into pyjamas and they will fall asleep on the way home, with luck they will be clean, happy, and exhausted!

Hetty58 Thu 17-Nov-22 08:24:45

I just wouldn't - not these days - as it's far too demanding of my time and concentration - so I'll leave it to the parents. I'm just not agile or quick enough in my old age, so wouldn't enjoy it!

kircubbin2000 Thu 17-Nov-22 08:45:34

I wouldn't either. I used to take him to lessons and that was stressful enough.Toddlers can be quite happy playing at home or in the park. Early swimming lessons were wasted on my gs and he did not learn until he was about 8 or 9 even after all the toddler classes.

Katie59 Thu 17-Nov-22 10:20:55

Take a track suit to change into, use a family changing room. Take a biscuit for the child, put day clothes on at home.
Don’t stress!.

GagaJo Thu 17-Nov-22 11:02:19

I'm not 60 yet, but taking my DGS swimming is a challenge. He's very hyper and can easily get away from me. Fortunately, I still have some authority and he more or less does as he's told. BUT it is exhausting. He does love it though, so I do try to go fairly regularly.

Chardy Thu 17-Nov-22 12:01:12

In my late-60s, I'd take 3yo DGD swimming, travelling to and fro on the bus.
Choose what you and they were thoughtfully. She'd wear a onesie, me joggers and sweatshirt.
One day when the bus arrived, I realised that, although standing up, leaning on my leg, she was asleep! Tiring - yes x2.

CBT61 Tue 20-Dec-22 21:52:31

I take one grandchild at a time ( ages 18 months and 3.5 years). I drive so it’s easier than public transport. I am
in costume and put child in costume at home. Use family changing room. Take two small bags with clothes, towels, robes and snack. Let child choose locker and help to decide which bag goes in first/ put the pound in/ basically anything that makes child concentrate on locker and not running off to the pool. After swim we go to the toilet - or I know I’ll be bursting by the time we’re changed! I have a robe I put on so I am warm and not dripping over child. Change child. Give snack whilst getting myself changed. Have hot chocolate in cafe! Go home.

tapestryfrog Tue 11-Apr-23 22:49:58

I used to take DGD to the 'mum' and baby sessions when she was about 2 until Covid put a stop to it. I never found it a problem just used a family changing room and she wore a swim nappy under her swimsuit. Got her changed first then me and again in reverse. Biggest issue I had was the little pickle running off with my socks!

BlueBelle Tue 11-Apr-23 22:52:25

I used to take mine and used the family changing room never had a problem that I can remember I just did it didn’t really think about it before

Wyllow3 Tue 11-Apr-23 22:54:40

Check times pool is open to "toddler with adult" times.

They can be in limited slots only unless its a big centre with a child's pool.

Granarchist Wed 12-Apr-23 09:26:41

as has been said before - change before you go - towelling robes for both of you. dry sacks for clothes (otherwise they will get soaked however careful you are). Get yourself dry first and by the time you are dressed the toddler will be dry. I know talc is frowned on but frankly its brilliant for drying. Put swim towels on the floor so shoes and socks stay dry. Also as they get older train them to change quickly. My children went to a primary school with an outdoor pool and every child swam every day in the summer term and whoa betide anyone late for the next lesson. It was brilliant. Always have snacks for the way home. Enjoy!!!

Kalu Wed 12-Apr-23 09:56:22

I took both GDs when they were toddlers. Swimwear on under clothes for quickness. We each had a bag with a hooded bathrobe, no need for towels. Leaving the pool, we showered together and used the family changing room. Feet were dried last sitting on a bench before shoes were on. Back to the car with heater on for biscuits and a flask of hot chocolate.
You will quickly find your own routine OP.

Callistemon21 Wed 12-Apr-23 10:17:19

kircubbin2000

I wouldn't either. I used to take him to lessons and that was stressful enough.Toddlers can be quite happy playing at home or in the park. Early swimming lessons were wasted on my gs and he did not learn until he was about 8 or 9 even after all the toddler classes.

That's interesting. I took my youngest DC from when she was about 16 months, a younger age than the others but she was the one who took longest to learn to swim. Although she can swim, she never did so competitively, unlike the other DC.

I'm not talking Olympics here, more competitive swimming against other schools 🏊‍♀️ 🏊‍♂️

Nannarose Wed 12-Apr-23 11:42:29

I certainly wouldn't worry if it feels too stressful and you don't enjoy it. But even 'wasted ' swims probably means that a child isn't afraid of the water when doing lessons later.
For me, it is part of our family story, my mum was an excellent swimmer and took me from very young. I am very clumsy and cannot really do any fun physical sports with GCs, except swimming. I am also now better able to look after a child in a pool than a playground where I can't keep up!