Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Any single grandparents here?

(9 Posts)
KeepitLight68 Tue 08-Nov-22 17:02:21

I've been single for many years. My son and his wife are now the proud parents of a grandson who's now 15 months old. Fortunately for the child, we get a long better than we ever did when we were together .. though I miss him at times. Those of you that are single grandparents, how do you deal?

Grandmabatty Tue 08-Nov-22 17:15:59

How do I deal with what? Being single? I manage fine thank you. I look after my two grandsons two days a week. It's hectic and often chaotic but I prepare the day before I have them, have toys, puzzles, books and games for them and play with them. Then I tidy when I drop them off. If you mean how do I manage without my ex, perfectly well. We are not in contact nor do we need to be.

tanith Tue 08-Nov-22 17:21:07

Well I'm a widowed Grandmother does that count?
I have different relationships with all my GC, they age from 30s to 1 month. I love them all equally and love spending time with all of them in different ways. What are you finding difficult?

GagaJo Tue 08-Nov-22 17:23:30

Yes, I am. My DGS knows no different. My ex is remarried so my DGS just has an extra granny (step granny).

I look after my DGS full-time. It's tiring, but fine. I want to do it.

crazyH Tue 08-Nov-22 17:23:59

I am single - been divorced for many years. I don’t ‘get along’ with him. He has remarried. I presume your Ex is single as well. It’s easier .
In my case, I have 3 AC , all living in the same little town, and so I do bump into my Ex and his wife at family weddings, birthday parties etc. It was difficult at first. Thankfully and strategically, they always leave before I arrive. The couple of years leading to divorce, was very painful - serial philanderer etc. it’s hard to shake off the hurt even after all these years. But I do admire you and your Ex for managing to stay on friendly terms .

BlueBelle Tue 08-Nov-22 17:26:36

Single Nan to 7 never thought of it as a problem never thought of it really

FlexibleFriend Tue 08-Nov-22 18:51:20

I'm single and divorced and get on really well with my ex husband. My son who is father to my GC doesn't get on particularly with his dad or dad's new partner, they don't have much contact with each other to be honest. My GC is 3 years old and Grand dad shows very little interest. I usually have my GS 2 half days a week. I don't have any problems at all.

AGAA4 Tue 08-Nov-22 19:56:44

I have 6 GCs and I was already widowed when the first arrived. I looked after two of them for many years. They are teenage now. They have just accepted that I am not accompanied by a grandad.

KeepitLight68 Thu 10-Nov-22 13:03:45

I'm not finding it difficult. It's wonderful after many years of dissension that we can be friends. And though I love spending time with the grandchild, it's great to share some of those times with grandpa.

smile