Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Tummy Sleeping

(20 Posts)
JaydeeTas Fri 28-Oct-22 12:31:54

My GS is 7 months old now and having a sleep over tonight..

Just checking the monitor and he's sleeping on his tummy..

DS and DIL haven't mentioned that he has started doing it.. what does research say these days.. is it safe? There are no blankets around his face..

Grandmabatty Fri 28-Oct-22 13:41:10

What do his mum and dad do? Do they leave him or turn him round? I would take their lead.

Humbertbear Fri 28-Oct-22 13:44:09

How times change. My babies slept on their tummies from birth.

Esspee Fri 28-Oct-22 13:46:06

Mine slept on their tummies but these days I would turn the little one onto his back as it is recommended.

Blondiescot Fri 28-Oct-22 13:48:41

I used to turn my little GS when he was a baby, but he would invariably wriggle himself into all kinds of weird and wonderful positions. Both my two were the same. Remember the 'back to sleep' awareness campaign with Anne Diamond after she lost her little one?

emmasnan Fri 28-Oct-22 15:39:43

If you check the following website they have good information about infant safe sleeping. www.lullabytrust.org.uk

Yammy Fri 28-Oct-22 16:09:57

My dd's had to sleep on their tummies in case they vomited as they had Aberdeen splints on their hips.I was advised to put them down that way. Nowadays my children seem to put theirs down on their side.

Farmor15 Fri 28-Oct-22 16:42:25

I think when they get to the age when they roll over themselves, it's pretty safe. If you roll him back, he may wake up or just roll back onto his tummy. Biggest risk is with small babies. But obviously check with parents.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Oct-22 17:06:38

Mine all slept on their tummies we were advised it in case they were sick
I personally would leave him as he is at 7 months he ll turn back if hes not comfortable

Lathyrus Fri 28-Oct-22 18:01:37

Once they can move themselves you could spend all night awake, putting them back into the position you think they should be in and then they just go back to one they prefer?

Hithere Fri 28-Oct-22 18:13:16

If baby positions himself on tummy and is able to turn- my doctor says it was ok

Beautful Fri 28-Oct-22 18:16:55

Not my decision ... but .... my son was a very sick baby (apparently take in goodness from milk & get rid of the rest) I personally am thankful he slept on his tummy ! Say no more !

LOUISA1523 Fri 28-Oct-22 19:43:24

Beautful

Not my decision ... but .... my son was a very sick baby (apparently take in goodness from milk & get rid of the rest) I personally am thankful he slept on his tummy ! Say no more !

Say no more to what? ?

JaydeeTas Sat 29-Oct-22 03:10:00

To be honest, I was waiting for a barrage of "don't do that" messages wink

I couldn't sleep so I flipped him onto his back.. he spent a most if the night
on his side.

He normally is on his back at home. He can't roll onto his back yet from his tummy so, we will stick with laying on his back smile

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Oct-22 08:36:02

I would roll him over, personally.
Better to wake a baby up than it be a disaster.

Newmom101 Tue 01-Nov-22 04:25:23

The safe sleeping guideline say that once they can roll by themselves it’s fine, if they can’t roll from belly to back yet but can crawl I would leave them as odds are they probably can roll belly to back, but just haven’t done so yet. If they can’t crawl I’d be a bit more cautious.

Regarding all the comments about babies sleeping on their front in case they’re sick, the statistics show no difference in aspiration rates (choking on vomit) in babies when asleep on their front or backs. On their backs they automatically turn their heads to the side to be sick.

Beautful Tue 01-Nov-22 08:10:56

Louisa1523

With him being sick , if he was on his back ... what do you think may have happened ?

Zoejory Tue 01-Nov-22 08:13:24

Definitely leave him. As has been mentioned he's capable of rolling himself now.

grannysyb Tue 01-Nov-22 09:08:38

My DS, (now 53) would only sleep on his tummy. He could wriggle up to the end of the cot from birth. He could lift his head up as well. I would think that it's perfectly safe to let a seven month old sleep like that.

nanna8 Tue 01-Nov-22 09:17:48

We were told to tummy sleep our babies in the 1970 s in case they vomited and inhaled their vomit. Then things changed and mums were told it was safer to put babies on their back. My granddaughter sleeps her baby on her tummy because she sleeps much better that way. I guess, in the end, it is up to the parents.