Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My grandson 13th birthday

(11 Posts)
kasiula123 Sat 22-Oct-22 17:39:48

Hi! I've been wondering about my grandsons 13th birthday present. Do you have any ideas for what to buy for him? Or should I just give him money. Please let me now as soon as possible.

Witzend Sat 22-Oct-22 17:44:46

At that age, they do often want money. But I’d try to get something little/inexpensive to open anyway - I’d probably ask his parents for suggestions - favourite sweets/chocs etc., or perhaps e.g. toiletries, if he’s started to be hygiene conscious!

Grandmabatty Sat 22-Oct-22 17:46:31

I would ask his parents for ideas

Norah Sat 22-Oct-22 18:06:46

Money and or if he has a game play system (ask your son or daughter) - maybe a game for that system. They have vouchers too.

I have daughters, granddaughters, great granddaughters and a grandson. He is consistently the very hardest of all of them to buy for. He dislikes clothing, toys, sweets - money works, wrapped in a bigger box than he'd guess grin

Calendargirl Sat 22-Oct-22 18:22:20

Even 13 year olds like cash.

Waste of money giving them ‘stuff’ you think they will like, unless of course their parents have informed you of something specific.

I hate giving gifts that are never used or appreciated.

Cabbie21 Sat 22-Oct-22 18:40:44

Hoodie? Lego? Football team strip? These were on my grandson’s list, together with both cheaper and dearer items.

ElaineI Sat 22-Oct-22 18:43:34

A voucher for games if he does those (or ask parents which one), voucher for favourite sports shop/clothes shop or book voucher. Parents usually know about books, clothes he might like. DGS1 is getting a playstation for birthday/Christmas and everyone is contributing to it as it is very expensive.

M0nica Sat 22-Oct-22 19:12:54

I am a real spoilsport. I ask people, including children, to provide me with a wish list of what they would like and choose from that, Sometimes I have very good reason to know that there is something not on the list that they would really like and I buy it, but if I spend the money I want to know I haven't wasted it buying something that isn't wanted.

Hithere Sat 22-Oct-22 19:57:26

What did his parents and he say?

Grammaretto Sat 22-Oct-22 20:36:43

I'm another who asks the parents.
Sometimes I get it right grin
Money direct into bank account never goes amiss and a nice card.

CocoPops Sat 22-Oct-22 22:55:44

I love to bake and decorate my GCs surprise birthday cakes. One GS was keen on badgers so I made a "badger"cake. The previous birthday his "taekondo jacket" gave me the idea for his cake.
I find presents for teenage boys difficult so I opt for an outing somewhere.
eg a visit to an owl sanctuary where GS adopted a rescued owl was a success.
Another idea was a voucher for a take-out joint near school so he and a friend could choose something for their lunch.