Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son and DIL are slobs

(43 Posts)
MrsSharples Sat 27-Aug-22 04:47:43

I am 65 and have two adorable grandsons, one almost 4 years old the other just turned 1 year old. I am 120 pounds overweight and I get very winded easily plus have mild arthritis in the knees but otherwise pretty healthy. I baby sit about a couple of days a week while my son is at work and DIL is on maternity leave. The older one goes to daycare. I don’t get paid which I don’t mind at all. I work a few evenings a week from home. The problem is the state of there home. It’s very messy. The kitchen is tiny. Both kitchen sinks are unusable because they are are filled to the brim with dirty dishes. The tiny counter is crammed with dirty cutting board, dirty cutlery dishes leftover takeout food containers sharp kitchen knives opened boxes of cereal etc. The stove top is also cluttered. There are two or three bags of garbage hanging from the kitchen cupboard knobs. There is stuff stacked up in front of the microwave. No dish towel in sight. The living room is cluttered with last nights dirty dinner dishes, half full cups of coffee, half full cans of fizzy water, the occasional dirty diaper, ( they eat off the coffee table) no room for a proper table. The tiny living room floor is scattered with toys, the living room also has two laundry baskets full of clean unsorted clothes that have been there for weeks. The bathroom is actually not too bad. The boys bedrooms are not too bad. The parents bedroom is a pigsty. Sorry for the long list but this is what I face when I babysit. Everything is made more difficult and unpleasant because of the utter chaos and clutter. I have to keep my mouth shut because DIL gets upset if I say a word. She goes into a sulk and texts my son at work which stresses him out. My son is the type to walk on egg shells so won’t say anything. That disgusting term ‘happy wife, happy life’ is his motto. He works a hard physical job. She is on maternity leave and is addicted to her phone. Sits and watches TikTok videos for a good part of the day. I play with the baby. She loves her boys and is a good mum she cuddles and feeds them well and is firm but fair. But she is a pretty hands off mum when it comes too interacting with them. That’s why I baby sit so I can play with them and chat with them. I love that part. How she manages to cook is a mystery but she will whip up some tasty dinners a few nights a week but they also order delivery food very often. They are always broke too. But the mess really gets me down. I will be baby sitting a lot more soon because she returns to work next month. I can only imagine things will be more messy.

Daisymae Tue 06-Sep-22 23:13:42

When I first looked after one of my GC I was very careful not to make it look like I was tidying as I didn't want to offend. Then I just thought blow this and washed up, cleaned worktops and dusted ornaments etc while the baby was asleep. No one ever said anything, in fact I doubt that they noticed.

Limcha Tue 06-Sep-22 20:15:02

Again, I am curious as to why the MIL is there when DIL is on maternity leave and the other child is in daycare. All those speculating about the DIL’s mental health are a bit out of line. We know absolutely nothing about this young woman’s state of mind. The idea that someone who just had a baby has to be mentally ill just because her MIL disapproves of her housekeeping is exactly the kind of thing that puts the younger people off. And those of you suggesting that cleanliness is exclusive to us older generations are way off. It is no more generational than our generation being judgmental and insufferable know-it-alls. Personal anecdotes aren’t data smh.

Is this frequent visiting actually wanted or needed by DIL? I’m trying to guess the purpose of the OP’s presence in the scenario here. I can imagine a DIL secretly seething that her MIL visits for hours on end to “help” with... well not sure what exactly. Presumably she can feed and change her own baby. Maybe all the DIL needs is some space. Sure having her MIL sitting around her house all day would surely push her to the brink of PPD.

Unless the children are in an unsafe situation, it’s not really anyone’s business how they keep their home. It’s not the MIL’s issue to sort. She can simply spend less time there. To be so consumed that you turn to the internet to name-call your son and DIL says there may be some over-involvement on the OP’s part.bSurely there are other ways the OP can occupy her time than sitting around her son’s house judging his wife as she tries to have bonding time with her newborn.

LadyGaGa Sat 03-Sep-22 22:37:45

As your DIL is at home when you go round OP, I’d call this a visit not babysitting. Can you involve your DIL more? Chat to her as well as your DGC? Maybe offer to take them all out to the park/lunch/farm etc if you can afford it. Can’t be nice for her if she thinks you are just there for her children. You sound like a lovely caring granny who just wants to help, and maybe emotional support is needed more than physical. Forget the pots etc. that may come later. Good luck.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Sep-22 22:03:29

Prentice

Socksandsocks01

I'd get stuck in. Help out but keep quiet. She may feel exhausted and cut off ftom her friends and life outside. As long as kids are fed and loved that's fine. The oldest child needs stuff out of the way so it doesn't hurt itself like sharp knives. But yeah help out where you can. Get the washing done as well. Any woman worth her salt will soon start to buck up when her MIL is doing the housework. And you are a star for baby sitting. Keeping contact up with your grandchildren is imperative. Well done

No, that would only mean the Granny would be viewed as a useful servant from then on. Definitely do not do her housework.
if the baby was new, then that would be different, but he is a year old now.

I think it would be seen as criticism.

Normandygirl Sat 03-Sep-22 21:58:29

My goodness, you should see my youngest daughters place, it's the stuff of nightmares grin
5 children under 7yrs, 4 dogs, 5 horses, 2 goats, 2 pigs, 2 cats and assorted chickens and ducks. It's absolute chaos and with a SIL who has got to be the untidiest man on the planet, the GC's taking after him, my DD has given up I think.
But the children are all happy and thriving, doing well at school and spend their days climbing trees, caring for the animals, splashing about in the river and are always polite and caring.
I just have to take a deep breath, bite my tongue and accept that they choose to live this way. For a neat freak like myself it takes some doing though!

Prentice Sat 03-Sep-22 15:23:32

Socksandsocks01

I'd get stuck in. Help out but keep quiet. She may feel exhausted and cut off ftom her friends and life outside. As long as kids are fed and loved that's fine. The oldest child needs stuff out of the way so it doesn't hurt itself like sharp knives. But yeah help out where you can. Get the washing done as well. Any woman worth her salt will soon start to buck up when her MIL is doing the housework. And you are a star for baby sitting. Keeping contact up with your grandchildren is imperative. Well done

No, that would only mean the Granny would be viewed as a useful servant from then on. Definitely do not do her housework.
if the baby was new, then that would be different, but he is a year old now.

Prentice Sat 03-Sep-22 15:20:16

This is how some people live unfortunately.
if she spends lots of her time watching Tik Tok instead of cleaning and interacting with her children then in my own view, she is not a good Mother at all.
I would not wash any of her dirty dishes or do any cleaning for her but would continue being with the little one and bonding with him.Take him out to the park? then to a cafe?
I do understand how the mess affects you, as it sure would upset me too.You seem to be a good caring Granny.

Georgesgran Sat 03-Sep-22 12:19:33

No response from OP?

Norah Sat 03-Sep-22 08:39:52

I watch GC at home. I can accomplish my own cooking and work with GC underfoot in our house.

Can't GC be brought to you, or you GC bring home?

Does your son help washup? Hoover? Laundry? He should, you know, be as involved in their home as dil.

Maya1 Sat 03-Sep-22 08:29:49

I also think it could be a generational thing, my son and dil are both untidy. My son gets it from his dad. But you know what, l don't think it's important at all. They are fantastic parents to my dgd. Both work hard and are kind, generous, empathetic people. To me that's more important than a tidy house.
As previous posters have said, don't criticise but you could offer to help out if you wish to, in a kindly, non threatening way.

Nightsky2 Sat 03-Sep-22 08:04:19

Try to ignore the mess.

Take your own dish cloth next time you go there but don’t let her see it. Have a plastic bag in your bag and take it home with you as it will be wet.

Take the baby out for a walk.
Don’t say anything to DiL about the messy kitchen, her kitchen her mess. You’re not there to clean her house. You could of course always ask her if she’d like you to wash the dishes or do a bit of vacuuming. Whatever you do don’t criticise her.

Has she always been messy/untidy or is it only since she had the babies as it’s quite possible that she is depressed. Does she talk to you, could you possibly ask her how she’s feeling as it doesn’t sound as if you do much talking.

It’s great that she’s a good mum as that’s far more important than having a clean house. Children grow up very quickly so do try to enjoy just being with them.

Socksandsocks01 Sat 03-Sep-22 07:55:17

FarNorth Sat 03-Sep-22 07:36:43

Your son must be responsible for making some of the mess - could you suggest he cleans up after himself a bit more?

Otherwise, ask if you can take the baby out when you visit - and also ask if visiting once a week suits them, or if they'd prefer something else.

MissAdventure Sat 03-Sep-22 00:29:43

I think it's partly a generational thing, perhaps?

Parents now place more value on getting out and about with their children, rather than shooing them outside while mother polishes the doorstep or irons piles of clothes (unnecessarily)

My neighbour worked herself into a frenzy because her grandchildren don't have a 'proper' sunday dinner (because they're in the woods, camping and jumping and climbing trees and other great things)

CanadianGran Fri 02-Sep-22 23:19:02

I would offer to babysit at your own house. I have a similar situation with my son and DIL. Their kids are a bit older now, but yes, I don't know where to start if I go to their house!

I don't have to do actual child-care, but just do casual sitting if they are going out or if shifts overlap. But going to their house gives me anxiety, so I just avoid it, even if it means transporting the kids myself. You don't want to spend all your time doing housework and not enjoy the little one.

jeanie99 Fri 02-Sep-22 22:26:43

You cannot control someone else's way of living, any problems with this situation surely your son would say something.
We are all different, I like a very tidy home, everything as a place but that's me.
Others are happy to live in a messy house and that's ok also.
I could understand your worry if the children were in a dirty condition and not fed or happy.
Take the little one out on good days out of the mess and stop concerning yourself about something you cannot do anything about.

Georgesgran Tue 30-Aug-22 07:40:51

I think there is some good advice here MrsS - albeit with some criticism of your son. Perhaps not the comments you were expecting, putting the ball back in your court?
I’m wondering if you’re the same lady who joined GN a while ago, but then left almost immediately, saying GN wasn’t supportive?
If so, please stay with us and you’ll see how diverse a lot we are and how opinions differ.

Madgran77 Tue 30-Aug-22 07:07:40

This is only a problem of uour making really. It's their house! Your solutions are:

Ignore it

Don't bahysit

Over to wash up but as a general kindness not judggementally

Baby sit at your house

Consider whether your DIL I'd OK!

Consider why she night get upset if you " say anything"!!

Up to you really

( and best not to put all the blame on your DIL. It's a choice they are both making!)

AGAA4 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:06:46

I would cut the babysitting to once a week. Are you there to help your DiL? If so ask if while you are there you can wash the dishes for them. It can be a struggle with two small children and some practical help may be welcome.

Limcha Mon 29-Aug-22 11:47:35

Ageed Hithere. It’s incredibly poor manners and I have to wonder if DIL has not always picked up on this judgement.

Hithere Sun 28-Aug-22 19:05:28

Another thread of a mil who is judging the state of the home and blaming dil while she contradicts herself and calls her a good mom at same time

The son seems to be excused from doing any household chores for working an active job

This is going to get so much worse when dil goes back to work

Elizabeth27 Sun 28-Aug-22 19:04:13

I am uncomfortable in a messy house but accept we all live differently, sounds like they are happy in their mess. maybe better to babysit at your house.

If your son wanted a clean and tidy house he could clean and tidy, you seem to blame just your daughter in law. Do not criticise her to your son, if he has to take sides it will not be yours.

HeavenLeigh Sun 28-Aug-22 19:00:44

I like others wonder if it’s postnatal depression too, but I also wonder why you are there if she’s at home all day, yes I couldn’t live with dirty dishes and used nappy left out, I don’t understand why you are going into their bedroom, how they live their life is there business, could your son help with the housework, mine used to come home and help with our children and do some chores if I was attending to the children, she doesn’t sound like a bad mum to me looks after the children feeds tasty dinners cuddles them etc, could be that she’s depressed

Limcha Sun 28-Aug-22 18:58:08

Maybe she is keeping it a mess so that you do not get comfortable being in her home while she is trying to spend time with her new babe? I would have been livid if my MIL, or anyone took up so much of my maternity leave. Have you discussed with her if you are actually needed there or is this something you assume she is okay with?

In any event, it is extremely rude to look around someone’s home judging them. I wouldn’t know what my son and DIL’s bedroom looks like because I would never venture there. Maybe it is time for you to let them get on with it? Speak to your DIL and son and see if your presence is actually needed/wanted so often.

Hithere Sun 28-Aug-22 18:49:26

OP

Have you discuss full time babysitting rules with your son and dil?