Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparenting at a distance

(7 Posts)
Setha Fri 26-Aug-22 16:14:31

I would be hugely grateful for ideas about how to communicate with my (just) two year old grandson online. How can I engage/entertain/stimulate/interact with him in a video call?
Thank you in advance!

Grannynannywanny Fri 26-Aug-22 16:29:19

I read to my 2 youngest grandchildren on video calls. When we were kept apart for months during the first lockdown it was a godsend. We enjoyed it so much that we kept it up.

We duplicated a few of their favourite bedtime books so I had a copy here and they followed the story on their own book. Their parents tuck them into one bed and set up the iPad beside them. Sometimes my little grandson eventually falls asleep.

Setha Sun 28-Aug-22 17:59:10

Thank you- that sounds like an excellent idea! Great to hear that it works!

ElaineI Mon 29-Aug-22 13:11:34

Video calls are great but children under 5 tend to flit in and out as their attention span is short so maybe try the toddler type books first.

Hithere Mon 29-Aug-22 16:33:29

Attention span for a 2 y.o is very short and for a video call, even shorter.

What does your gc like?

PollyDolly Mon 29-Aug-22 16:38:51

How about using a glove puppet as a bit of entertainment for the GC? You could easily make one with an old sock and some buttons and trimming. Ideal for a youngster with a short attention span.
Work on short sketches in advance to engage with the little boy.

ElaineI Mon 29-Aug-22 17:18:45

PollyDolly

How about using a glove puppet as a bit of entertainment for the GC? You could easily make one with an old sock and some buttons and trimming. Ideal for a youngster with a short attention span.
Work on short sketches in advance to engage with the little boy.

That's an excellent idea PollyDolly.