Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Parents music

(39 Posts)
Grandpajo Sun 19-Dec-21 21:43:48

Heard a song this evening from my sons bedroom reminded me of a couple of songs my mother played over and over.
Seasons in the sun many a Sunday morning by Terry Jacks
My sweet Lord by George Harrison.
Interested if you can remember music from your parents played regularly,albums or singles.

TillyTrotter Sun 19-Dec-21 21:49:00

Noel Harrison’s “Windmills of your Mind” was often played by my dear mum.

Grannybags Sun 19-Dec-21 21:51:19

Threepenny opera with Lotta Lenya

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 19-Dec-21 22:08:44

Every.Single.Sunday.

Jim Reeves.

grannyactivist Sun 19-Dec-21 22:13:49

I remember (and liked) my nana’s music more Jim Reeves, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como etc. - my mum listened to Dusty Springfield songs endlessly. Depressing!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 19-Dec-21 22:18:14

I had Mum playing Jim Reeves, but if I went into our garden our teenage neighbour had lifted the arm off of the Dansette and ‘In Dreams’ by Roy Orbison played non stop on Sundays,
So I sat in the garden.

LadyGracie Sun 19-Dec-21 22:24:38

Spanish Eyes - Al Martino
Louis Armstrong - What a wonderful world
Jim Reeves - I love you because

Three of my mums favourites.

GreyKnitter Sun 19-Dec-21 22:31:35

My Dad was a great lover of Glenn Miller and String of Pearls was a def favourite.

Grayling Sun 19-Dec-21 22:31:55

Thanks for that Oopsadaisy - I had forgotten you could lift the arm and play the same record over and over. Our neighbour was a great fan of Jimmy Shand and one Saturday he came at lunch time with a new LP and it was played continuously until early evening!!

paddyann54 Sun 19-Dec-21 22:38:17

Opera on Saturday mornings played loud with all the windows wide open.Songs from musicals South Pacific ,West Side Story ,Matt Munro and Frank Sinatra.But they liked new music too,my Dad thought Marti Pellow had a great voice he liked the lyrics of Billy Joel and John Martin

.Left us with a love of all genres ,Sunday nights were round the paino with Dad and Granny playing and mum and mys 3 sisters and me singing .Its how we all learned our party pieces

Chestnut Sun 19-Dec-21 23:47:50

I remember my mother liking Jim Reeves and Roy Orbison. And the man downstairs payed Mantovani all the time. I hated it all and started playing endless Beatles songs.

Doodledog Mon 20-Dec-21 00:59:59

GreyKnitter

My Dad was a great lover of Glenn Miller and String of Pearls was a def favourite.

Mine too. smile

welbeck Mon 20-Dec-21 01:18:55

all i can remember is two way family favourites, on the light programme, sunday mid-day, with a song in my heart.
and workers' playtime, loved that theme.
and there was housewives' choice. can hear it now, the upbeat intro music, so cheerful, so evocative of happier days.
my parents did not have any records, so it was just what happened to be on the wireless.
i'm much the same now.

Sapphire24 Mon 20-Dec-21 03:36:32

I was brought up listening to Elvis, Jim Reeves, Slim Whitman and Connie Francis smile

Hiraeth Mon 20-Dec-21 05:27:18

I remember my mum listening to the “Seekers“ There’s a new world somewhere ?

Rowantree Mon 20-Dec-21 06:45:00

Schubert, Mozart, Brahms, Beethoven mainly. My parents refused to listen to jazz, light music or pop, leaving me to hunker down with my little transistor radio in secret to avoid censure.

baubles Mon 20-Dec-21 07:05:38

Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennet as well as arias from operas.

When I was thinking up a user name for here Frank Sinatra was singing ‘Baubles bangles and beads’ in my head.

MiniMoon Mon 20-Dec-21 10:34:19

The Flight of the Bumblebee, played on an ancient record player. My Dad had several HMV LP records made of bakelite, this was one of his favourites.
He eventually destroyed all the records and broke up the record player for parts. I'm sure those bakelite records would be worth something these days.

25Avalon Mon 20-Dec-21 10:41:31

Mum regularly sang Vera Lynn’s “there’ll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover” to me when I was a child. Mum had a lovely singing voice and I often requested it. I sang it to my dcs
and now I find one of them singing it to hers.

Lincslass Mon 20-Dec-21 10:47:51

Grew up with Acker Bilk, Matt Momroe, David Whitfeild, Ruby Murray and those piano genies Winifred Atwell and Russ Conway. Gosh even writing those names brought loads of memories back

silverlining48 Mon 20-Dec-21 14:05:21

Alma Cogan and Connie Francis just came to mind. Didn’t have a record player but listened to the radio( gramme). Family Favourites usually. Lots of fun records then, elephants called Nelly, pink toothbrushes and runaway trains.
I still liked David Whitfield (because my mum did,) while my friends started listening to rock n roll. I was always a bit late with anything new.

silverlining48 Mon 20-Dec-21 14:06:14

Not forgetting the very funny Joyce Grenfell

Grandma70s Mon 20-Dec-21 14:19:47

Anything with Kathleen Ferrier, Like Rowantree’s parents, classical only. I am the same on the whole, though I did know the pop songs of my teens ( pre Beatles). Much preferred the classics.

JackyB Mon 20-Dec-21 15:55:22

Good grief! My parents were dead against anything from Bill Haley onwards. My mother did have a soft spot for Perry Como. Their hero was Bing Crosby. Oh yes, and Val Doonican.My father said that Frank Sinatra can't sing.

We did have some fun singsongs together, the four of us, with DF on the guitar. Mainly standards like "You are my sunshine" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band".

I am so glad that I can enjoy the music my kids listen to. Before they were big enough to go under their own steam I would go to gigs and festivals with them. I never missed a chance to see them perform live in their bands.

MerylStreep Mon 20-Dec-21 16:09:54

My parents were big on parties so grew up with everything new in the 50s. My father was either at sea or working in the London docks so had access to all the American records which very often you couldn’t get here for a long time.