Grandads' shed

Cars you've owned and loved

(85 Posts)
Grandpajo Sat 18-Dec-21 11:19:57

All my Rovers last being Conniseur 75
Granada
Vauxhall victor

Shandy57 Sat 18-Dec-21 11:22:36

Daimler Sovereign - loved it until firemen walked into my college classroom to tell me my tank had discharged all over the road sad

FannyCornforth Sat 18-Dec-21 11:22:51

We’ve had two Rover 75s.
Absolutely gorgeous cars. I don’t know why cars are all so ugly now.

Grandpajo Sat 18-Dec-21 11:26:13

FannyCornforth

We’ve had two Rover 75s.

Yes loved mine but water ingress and head going killed it..and it only had 23,000 miles on,1.8.Wish I bought a diesel

Grandpajo Sat 18-Dec-21 11:28:35

Kia Soul now .Great car going to run it till they ban diesels completely sad

Juliet27 Sat 18-Dec-21 11:29:20

A Reliant Scimitar until it was vandalised and set light to.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Dec-21 11:30:33

My dad always had rovers when I was a child.
Big leather seats that you could slide across when you went round corners. smile

25Avalon Sat 18-Dec-21 11:31:16

My first car a Hillman Imp.

midgey Sat 18-Dec-21 11:34:09

Oh my Fiat 500! I loved that little car, moving house with the broom handle sticking out of the roof….. The new ones are just not the same thing at all.

aggie Sat 18-Dec-21 11:47:19

We didn’t have a car , but I wanted to learn , my Brother suggested we bought one on the never - never ! I “drove “ it two or three time , Brother hogged
One day it wasn’t there any more ! It had been repossessed! I had been handing the payments to him …. Where they went into his pocket !
I have no idea what make it was , but it’s the only car I ever “owned “
I never learnt to drive ?
This was about 60 years ago , I never sat a test , think I bought my licence at the post office

JaneJudge Sat 18-Dec-21 11:49:01

I love the car I have now but it needs some work but hopefully I'll have enough money after Christmas smile

I loved my Vauxhall Cavalier. I have always been a bit confused about why they stopped making them!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 18-Dec-21 11:51:57

MrOops loved his Stag.
I hated my Wolsey Hornet, back in 1979, never worked 2 days running, glad to see it dragged away.

Grandpajo Sat 18-Dec-21 11:54:51

My neighbours got a yellow stag with a lovely sounding V8..I think under the bonnet.

Jane43 Sat 18-Dec-21 12:00:07

When we first met my husband had a Ford Corsair which was his pride and joy but he sold it to enable us to buy our first house. Since then we have been very fond of an Alfa Romeo 147 and a Ford Granada.

Peasblossom Sat 18-Dec-21 12:02:25

midgey

Oh my Fiat 500! I loved that little car, moving house with the broom handle sticking out of the roof….. The new ones are just not the same thing at all.

Me too. Double declutching because there was no synchromesh on the gears. 80 miles to the gallon and (with a beefy boyfriend) you could pick it up bonnet first to swivel it into a parking space?

Witzend Sat 18-Dec-21 12:07:49

My very first car - a little old blue Mini (£150) with an 850 cc engine. It used to struggle a bit up Reigate Hill when 4 of us were off for a night out, but managed it.

Some years later, when we lived in Oman, a sporty red Toyota Celica. Some of dh’s (male) colleagues asked why he’d bother to buy a car like that for his wife!

Fairly boring but comfortable and reliable ones ever since.

Kalu Sat 18-Dec-21 12:16:18

My favourite car has to be my Citroen Dyane, roll back roof, column gear stick, fold down side windows and all. Happy memories too of two DDs and two labradors on board for sunny day picnics. Air cooled engine also meant my car didn’t freeze up in winter as DH was stuck until his car defrosted.

Calendargirl Sat 18-Dec-21 12:21:55

Mini Clubman estate, when the two children were small.

Happy memories.

muse Sat 18-Dec-21 12:22:05

Four cars.

My first one was an old red Beetle given to me by my father when I passed my test at the age of 23. It was his car and he replaced it with another Beetle.

Second: MGB roadster, bought when the Beetle was sold. White, chrome wire wheels and bumpers. My passion for sports cars started.

Third was a treat to myself when I retired: an old BMW Z3. 6 months of water problems but then a dream of a car. Roof down whenever it was dry even in cold weather. Sold it when I moved to Cornwall as it wouldn't have coped with the rough track down to our cottage.

Current car: Audio Q5. First automatic (petrol). I love all the knobs, buttons, levers, cameras, and heating!

threexnanny Sat 18-Dec-21 12:23:22

My first car was the love of my life. An already elderly mini when I bought it second hand. It was red (and rust) but it was mine! Finally rusted away but no other cars since have been loved as much.

SueDonim Sat 18-Dec-21 12:37:30

A white Lotus Elan, back in the day. We sold it to put the money towards a deposit on our first house. We also had several MGB’s and MGA’s. MGA’s are so elegant.

Of modern cars, I loved my first Polo, bright yellow and such fun to drive! I bought an identical white one as a replacement but it wasn’t so much fun, though I don’t know why.

Jaxjacky Sat 18-Dec-21 12:44:13

Alfa Romeo Giulietta, company car, had to give it back when I retired ?

annodomini Sat 18-Dec-21 13:31:59

My first car was a red Hillman Imp. A lovely little car, built in Scotland, but had quite a few teething troubles. The next one was a Morris 1100, the kind with gas suspension, which proved unsuitable for driving through the East African bush and eventually gave way to a lovely blue Beetle 1300, the most reliable vehicle ever. It could go wherever a Landrover could go, and I drove it through several rivers without mishap. I was able to do simple servicing myself as the engine wasn't over-complicated. I had another blue Beetle back in England, followed by a Vauxhall Chevette, a small Honda, a VW Polo, two Fiestas, a Toyota Yaris and now a Kia Picanto which is all I'll ever need now.

EMMF1948 Sat 18-Dec-21 13:38:03

FannyCornforth

We’ve had two Rover 75s.

Oh they were lovely, a friend of ours had one years ago,Samantha, the car not the friend. You're so right about ugly modern cars.
My favourite car was an MG TF, I had two but then the second one started to use a lot of water, I thought it was just a damaged hose. However we were told it could be the head gasket, it was a very common fault with those engines, so OH insisted that we got rid of it immediately. We traded it in and I made him take it down to collect the new car, I stayed in bed sobbing!

EMMF1948 Sat 18-Dec-21 13:42:50

Grandpajo

My neighbours got a yellow stag with a lovely sounding V8..I think under the bonnet.

The day after I passed my test OH went out and bought a Spitfire. We had to go into the city a couple of days later to see the solicitor about our house purchase and we were running late, he pulled over and jumped out, Go and park the car and I'll get to the solicitor. I was left in the middle of a city I didn't know well, luckily I ma.naged