Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Mens PJs

(22 Posts)
Graygirl Fri 01-Oct-21 11:31:56

Hoping you knowledgeable gents can help with this , my DH only has a 26in inside leg due to surgery and Arthritis in spine. Need new PJs have spent last couple of weeks trying to find some all he wants is a brushed cotton button jacket PJs . I know bottoms can be taken up but as man of 5ft5in he hates having trousers altered insisting they never hang right. Anyone help please

Septimia Fri 01-Oct-21 11:36:45

Can you get any with a gathered ankle, or put elastic in the hem to gather the legs of the trousers so that they fit round his ankles? They might not hang right, though, as the legs will probably 'balloon'.

tanith Fri 01-Oct-21 12:19:09

Tell him they’re not trousers they’re pjs who’s going to see them if they are a bit skuwhiff (sp?)I’d tell him to get over himself if he were mine. Men! ??‍♀️

M0nica Fri 01-Oct-21 12:45:20

Some times, in cases like this, he just has to swallow his pride and wear pjs which do not fit perfectly. He could always pay a professional tailor to make bespoke pjs for him.

I have never heard of any man being fussed about the cut of his pyjmas trousers. Does he entertain in his night attire, silk dressing gown, cigarette and a glass of wine and, of course hand embroidered monogrammed slippers?

Elegran Fri 01-Oct-21 12:52:17

Taking up the hems of trouser legs shouldn't alter the hang of them, unless the person taking them up is incompetent. Tell him he can either have PJs with neatly altered hems or lie in bed with them flapping round his toes, it is up to him, but you can't work miracles.

Is he planning to wear them on the catwalk of a fashion show? Or perhaps he foresees a private display to a glamorous Other Woman - in that case you should make sure the work is done as badly as possible to discourage her. grin

Baggs Fri 01-Oct-21 13:00:48

elegran grin

You could always just cut some off with pinking shears and tell him frayed bottoms are the new fashion wink

tanith has it about right: he needs to get over himself.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Oct-21 13:11:13

Whose looking he’s in bed !!!

chris8888 Fri 01-Oct-21 13:14:27

Maybe this should be his problem not yours smile

grandtanteJE65 Mon 25-Oct-21 12:39:36

If he is as fussy as that he can either shorten his pyjamas himself, wear a nightshirt or sleep in his birthday suit!

winterwhite Mon 25-Oct-21 12:49:19

Oh come on, this is a bit unkind. The OP's husband clearly feels self-conscious and she's trying to help find pjs with shorter legs. No need to mock.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Mon 25-Oct-21 12:50:41

I had this prob for fil in the hospital may sound odd but what about a nightshirt? there are some really nice ones and when being operated on makes it easier to use bedpans etc

silverlining48 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:39:59

PJ trousers should be easy to take up and won’t show. I am only 5’1 so always have to take up hems. Or if he is slim get some for older boys 15/16 etc, might be worth looking at.

timetogo2016 Fri 03-Jun-22 16:32:55

Turn the waiste band over.
I wear Dh`s pj`s,more room than womens.

paddyann54 Fri 03-Jun-22 19:06:01

can you get teenage boy size ones for him? The 15-16 year old one s or maybe a year younger would maybe fit if hes not a chunky build .My SIL is 5 ft 7 and he buys boys ones and they are cheaper too

Fennel Fri 03-Jun-22 19:13:04

As Grandetante suggests, wear a nightshirt.
One of our sons lived in Kuwait and introduced husband to "dish-dashes". We bought a few and he wears those at night.

25Avalon Fri 03-Jun-22 19:14:00

You can get pyjama sets with shorts.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jun-22 19:29:47

Cyberjammies sell tops and bottoms separately - useful for my lodger, who needed larger bottoms for his extra long legs!

nadateturbe Fri 03-Jun-22 20:26:30

I turn my husbands pj's up, it's not difficult.
I like Baggs suggestion though. ?

You can get gathered ankle but not sure about brushed cotton ones.

mumofmadboys Sat 04-Jun-22 07:27:27

With womens PJs M and S sell cropped leg ones- ideal for us shorties!

Puzzled Mon 06-Jun-22 12:22:53

I think that LIDL sell ops separate from trousers, so he might be able to get a well fitting top, and trousers with short legs.
maybe even boy's ones ? (ADDED bonus, of no VAT in UK for childrens wear).

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 06-Jun-22 12:38:58

The men in my family tend to sleep in the nude, apart from OH who wears pyjamas with a teeshirt underneath.

ElaineI Mon 06-Jun-22 13:27:25

My DH has opposite - he is tall so have to get taller made ones. So far from M&S and JL. Look for shops that do PJs in short, regular, tall. There are aren't many but they are there.