Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

HELP Adding an extension onto our hut-Advice Please

(16 Posts)
jeanie99 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:30:19

I'm looking for advice from a knowledgeable person with regards to extending our existing hut.
This winter as confirmed that we really do not have enough space in our garage for all of our garden furniture and plants which I over winter there.
We had thought originally of buying a hut for the space we have a 4 foot(door on this) x 5 foot but soon realised that this size is not made. It's a tight space with fence on two sides and the existing hut, so it will be a bit of a squeeze building it also.
So I thought of just adding on to the existing hut, however not knowing what type of wood to use and only with a vague idea of building this thought I would put the flag out on the site for some tips.

shysal Mon 14-Jun-21 13:44:37

Would a ready-made garden storage chest do the job? They come in all sizes. I have a large one behind my shed, which is invaluable for garden clutter and cushions.
www.bing.com/images/search?q=garden+chest+storage&qpvt=garden+chest+storage&form=IQFRML&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

jeanie99 Mon 14-Jun-21 14:23:41

Thank you for your suggestion shysal, I much appreciate your comment.
I have looked at this type of storage unfortunately it would not hold the garden furniture we have, one seat would just about fill the container and I have chairs and a table.
We do seem to accumulate so much don't we.

Doodledog Mon 14-Jun-21 14:27:10

Have you thought of asking on your local Facebook page? If you are not on FB you will almost certainly know someone who is, and most towns have these pages, which are mostly asking fro recommendations like yours, and moaning about poor parking and dog poo?.

It's probably something that a joiner could knock up to order - it's worth asking, at least.

J52 Mon 14-Jun-21 15:30:42

You don’t say how much area you want to extend by, but could you buy a small flat pack shed and add it on?

M0nica Mon 14-Jun-21 15:45:09

You can buy plastic covers for garden furniture, just cover them up, put them in a corner and do it that way

jeanie99 Mon 14-Jun-21 16:59:31

J52
You see in my post the size is 4 foot (door) x 5 foot and this size is not made in sheds. There are 3'x5' which would be too small. We have a seat a number of chairs and a table.
M0nica
We did try this one year wrapping everything up and leaving all the furniture outside but I don't want to go down that road again. Just to get it all in a dry hut is so much better if we can sort this small space out.
I'm going to go down to the local DIY and try and get some information from there, how hard can it be adding on to the hut.
I used to make my clothes in times gone by so I should be able to create a plan for a hut just need to know the types of wood to use.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Jun-21 09:41:45

I know nothing about the wood needed to add on to an existing shed, sorry.

Try googling "small pent shed" though - this will offer small sheds of 2x3, 4x4 etc as they are designed for loo sheds or potting sheds. With a pent roof you can get away with smaller footprints.
Good luck.

www.wayfair.co.uk/WFX-Utility--5-Ft.-W-x-3-Ft.-D-Solid-Wood-Garden-Shed-V112209122-L510-K~U001198011.html?refid=GX434248611059-U001198011_2094332624&device=m&ptid=902306738333&targetid=pla-902306738333&network=g&ireid=102575817&PiID%5B%5D=2094332624&device=m&gclid=CjwKCAjwn6GGBhADEiwAruUcKn85B1_jQHqlYdK72DvP5SbLiCJWPfU4qp0I65-i0FKB52RErcTcohoCQncQAvD_BwE

B&Q have small sheds by the way.

jeanie99 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:48:37

I went to our local Jewsons and had a really good talk with a gentleman there.
He was so helpful and took me round all the wood I need to do the job. Gave me a printout with prices per metre.
They will even cut to size for me and delivery free.
I just need to plan out the layout, work out the quantities and get my husband to help me construct it, and that will be the hardest problem.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

jeanie99 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:52:40

Hi NOtspag

I have a limited space, the hut you mention is 5 foot wide I only have 4 foot and the door needs to be on the 4 foot.
I have tried for a 4 foot x 5 foot but they are not made.
But thank you for looking I very much appreciate everyone's help in this.

theworriedwell Thu 17-Jun-21 17:54:05

We had a shed custom made to fit the space. I can't remember the name of the company but maybe worth a google.

midgey Thu 17-Jun-21 18:00:56

Sheds apparently are in short supply! Have you thought of a bike shed? They are really amazing, I managed to ram so much into the one we had! It’s a cheaper option than wood and will last for quite awhile.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 22:53:07

Oh sorry jeanie I'd got that well and truly wrong then!

Try googling "small pent shed" though. I think you will maybe find something if you decide not to start from scratch.

Good luck anyway.

muse Fri 18-Jun-21 00:30:48

We did this four years ago. The original hut had foundations - concrete base. The extension therefore had to have one too. We used a local carpenter to build the frame work, and roof trusses which was the same as the original hut. We needed a specific size extension like you. Wood price has shot up recently. Sorry. Just bought some for raised beds.

Look on www.mybuilder.com. I've used it twice. You post what work is needed. A huge range of builders, carpenters, plumbers etc list their businesses. People leave reviews about them.

Chewbacca Fri 18-Jun-21 00:54:01

Don't know where abouts you are OP but these people make garden sheds, wooden outbuildings etc all made to your precise measurements and probably deliver anywhere.

birchenoughsheds.co.uk

Katyj Fri 18-Jun-21 06:46:26

We had a shed made to measure, lots of places sell them now. Our is 4 ft by 8 ft Cost about £700 they came and erected it too.