Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Supermarket home delivery

(25 Posts)
1John Sun 19-Apr-20 14:43:11

Has anybody had any luck getting delivery after having their letter telling them to stay inside for 12weeks.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 15:01:47

I haven't received any such letter so therefore haven't applied for a delivery either in case it asks for proof.

After reading that about 200,000 should have received letters I have a sneaky feeling that I should have received one having a variety of medical problems including CKD and also taking blood thinner amongst others, I doubt I'd get a slot because of others who don't fit the category.

Because I don't make a song and dance about things I know I'd get left behind. My own fault sad

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 15:03:37

I've been shopping locally every few days though do feel nervous but what can you do ?

lemongrove Sun 19-Apr-20 15:12:09

a family member has a government letter John but has only been able to get 2 delivery slots so far (TESCO) however they do seem the best of the supermarkets for honouring the promise.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 15:26:43

Tesco have been far and away better than the other supermarkets, 1John

I just got a 2nd slot , ie one about every 2-3 weeks.

Try sending them a message on email or FB if you have no-one who can shop for you.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 15:28:36

The letter came from the Government Medical Officer, EllanVannin with a list of categories for those included.

ExD Sun 19-Apr-20 15:29:19

I haven't received my letter either but a friend read me her's over the phone. All it says is the same old/same old - basic 'rules' about distancing, washing hands and staying in your own home and garden.
There's no help about getting slots for home deliveries.
EllenVannin, I'm in the same boat as you, aged 80 and having recently broken my back (although I am walking) I don't think I am considered 'vulnerable'. My husband has COPD and diabetes but doesn't seem to be on the vulnerable list either.
BUT three weeks ago, before they cut the availability of slots to 2 weeks in advance, I got a booking at Morrisons which arrived this morning. What excitement.
When I realised I was going to find it difficult to get another slot I ordered extra of everything, even milk which I have frozen.
I now have a supply of groceries which should last me a good three weeks, I shall use frozen veg, and feel strangely 'safe' and less anxious.
I've heard that going online during the night is a good ploy for finding a delivery slot, but after trying several times - this no longer seems to work.
I don't know HOW to let the supermarkets know you are considered 'vulnerable'.
Someone told me AgeUK would pick up 'Click and Collect' orderes for you - might be worth a try? (If you can get a slot!)

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 15:44:48

Do you have a local volunteer group? They may have a FB page.
Be careful that they are the genuine volunteers, as some scammers have been knocking on doors of vulnerable elderly.

lemongrove Sun 19-Apr-20 15:54:05

EXD...… we are talking of the government letter which includes you on the very vulnerable group and not the general letter sent to every household in the land.

lemongrove Sun 19-Apr-20 15:55:39

yes, going online about 4 or 5 in the morning is very helpful in getting slots we have found.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 16:29:40

Callistemon, no doubt if I get one at all it'll be amongst the ones which haven't yet been sent out grin----when everything's been lifted.

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 16:32:37

I was behind the door when assertiveness was dished out grin

dragonfly46 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:34:19

I have had the letter and in my experience only Sainsbury have honoured it. I have managed to get a delivery every week. Apparently they got a list from the government and I am wondering if each supermarket got a different list.

eazybee Sun 19-Apr-20 16:47:59

Perhaps the 'vulnerable' slots are gradually taking over the slots formerly claimed by the fit, able and under 70; I do hope so.
I stood in the queue talking to a lady who does the shopping for four elderly people who don't have deliveries, possibly she thinks because they don't spend a large amount, and don't have the money or credit cards to bump up their order.

Curlywhirly Sun 19-Apr-20 16:54:30

My son is doing our shopping; I am fine to go out, only in my early sixties and no health problems at all, but my husband has had a heart condition, so I am trying to stay in if possible. However, I realised that our son had forgotten bread and potoatoes from my list! So on Saturday morning at 8.00am I ventured to our small Tesco local shop and was the only shopper there! I was also pleased to see all the shelves were well stocked. If you can't get a delivery, make enquries at any local shops you have; they will tell you the quietest times to visit.

Soupy Sun 19-Apr-20 17:09:05

It's the Shielded people who are on the Government List, not the vulnerable.

People who have had an organ transplant who remain on long term immune suppression therapy

People with specific cancers - people:
with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs

People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD. Severe asthmatics are those who are frequently prescribed high dose steroid tablets.

People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)

People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection

People who are pregnant with significant congenital heart disease

This is from the Digital NHS page.

grannylyn65 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:21:14

Ellen, you appear to be very strong and capable ?

Rufus2 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:10:43

Good Evening;
Unless I'm mistaken this thread is "titled "Grandad's Shed"
So what's going on in here? confused
What's going on is what Grandad 1943 feared would happen again. Grandads kicked out! sad
We're waiting to re-build the Shed when the planks arrive! Meanwhile I need room to pin up a notice (see below) setting out an example of what we're about! hmm
Thank You.
Funding For Men's Shed
"I was proud to open the newly refurbished room at the
Monash Men's Shed. The Shed plays a fantastic role in
our community and this helps them to continue the great
work they do, strengthening social connections and
community involvement.
Thanks also to The Hon. Luke DonnellanMP, Minister
forDisability, Ageing and Carers who I joined in
announcing $60,000 in funding to the Waverley
Woodworkers. This funding will allow them to move
into their new facility at Central Reserve.

Daisymae Tue 21-Apr-20 18:36:40

Somehow Waitrose decided that I was in the vulnerable list, but really it my DH. I did email them early on so perhaps that did work, I don't know. you do need to be persistent. Hereabouts farms are doing deliveries of all sorts too so that might be worth looking into

Callistemon Tue 21-Apr-20 20:00:25

Soupy you could be wasting your breath (or typing)

I posted that on another thread, in fact twice because it wouldn't post then both appeared!
And still posters came on and asked the same questions and some seem upset that they do not come into one of those categories.

Quite unbelievable.

Callistemon Tue 21-Apr-20 20:03:02

eazybee I think the supermarkets have taken on more staff and drivers, or perhaps re-allocate staff and have been able to offer more slots. Well done to those who have.
They will deliver smaller amounts but I think the delivery charge is slightly higher.

Doodledog Tue 21-Apr-20 20:22:55

I am not on the shielded list, but I have only had trouble getting a slot right at the start of the crisis. Since then, I have managed a Sainsburys delivery when I've needed one, so availability must vary widely across the country. The only dilemma I feel is whether to order just what I need immediately, or whether to buy more so that I don't need to get as many deliveries as before the crisis.

I have shopped online since the service started (about 20 years?) so I don't feel guilty about continuing. Also, I don't drive, so click and collect is out of the question, and if I went out to shop (which I'm not keen to do) I would have to go a few times a week, as I am unable to carry much because of health conditions which don't qualify me (rightly) to be on the vulnerable list. There isn't a large supermarket near me, so I would have to go to several smaller shops to get everything I need, and then carry them back on foot.

I don't make a song and dance about getting deliveries, but I have seen people moaning on social media that only those on the list should get them, whether or not they have ever shopped online before, and without the slightest thought that those not on a list don't necessarily have easy access to groceries either.

ExD Fri 24-Apr-20 14:46:53

Sensible thinking Doodledog.
I too have been using online shopping for years as I am living in a pretty isolated place, so tend to do a big shop to avoid multiple trips.
There are arguments for and against ordering enough to last a week or enough to last a month. Living out in the country miles from the shops I have always done a monthly 'big' shop in a supermarket online, with the odd top up locally.
I've never done a daily 'shop' - but that's just my way of life I guess.
I can see that it comes across as selfish to someone used to being able to get to the shops daily, its not intentional.
I successfully froze, and later defrosted, some full cream milk a couple of weeks ago. I'd always understood milk didn't freeze well, so now I feel quite confident about buying my milk online too.
Unlike you, Sainsbury's have very few slots and no recognition of loyal customers. Morrisons have been a better option for me, it must all depend on your area I suppose.

I'm still in favour of the super vulnerable getting offered first 'dibs' at the delivery slots and think the option should be made much more straightforward.
(ps I don't count myself as vulnerable and would happily give up my slot as long as I was sure it went to someone who really needs it).

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:06:20

ExD I also shop online with Morrisons and have done so for years. I have a feeling that their old customers- old in more ways than one are being sidelined.

At the start of the lockdown, it took me a week trying multiple times to find a slot with Morrisons but I think I have cracked their method so the last one took me two attempts only and my slot is now the 5th May.

They appear to release availability slots daily for a couple of weeks ahead. I paid an annual amount to have mine delivered on a Tuesday, Wednesday or a Thursday for "free" and so far it is working because they have increased their delivery prices.

Teetime Fri 24-Apr-20 16:18:00

DH had the letter but I didn't even though I fit the criteria but I'm keeping quiet. Fortunately I already had a delivery [ass with Ocado so apart from hiccups to begin with I now get a weekly delivery.