Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

What does Granddad do all day ?

(104 Posts)
MagicBubble Sat 03-Feb-18 10:12:06

I received this brochure through the letterbox yesterday

So I wonder, what does granddad do all day ?

lemongrove Sat 03-Feb-18 10:32:30

Well, certainly not that! grin
The Grandad here is a keen gardener, and likes to go out a lot ( with me, thankfully) and reads, and watches sport amongst other things.

NanaandGrampy Sat 03-Feb-18 10:32:39

Whatever I tell him ? ?

Greyduster Sat 03-Feb-18 11:02:17

Gets under my feet!!

MissAdventure Sat 03-Feb-18 11:03:39

grin

grannyqueenie Sat 03-Feb-18 11:08:50

Mostly what I say!! grin

fiorentina51 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:13:19

Here, he has taken over most cooking duties, helps with housework if needed, tackles the garden and generally spoils me rotten. ?

NonnaW Sat 03-Feb-18 11:20:36

Likewise fiorentina, plus he often offers to do the dog walking alone if he thinks I’m out of sorts. He also spends time on his music hobby, playing saxophone and communicating with like-minded souls.

jusnoneed Sat 03-Feb-18 11:22:57

I often wonder that! He does the veg part of the garden, and I have handed over most of the hedge cutting to him since he retired. Stuff in the house, noooo - I think he's allergic to the vac and cleaning products. As for cooking, a boiled egg or beans on toast is about the limit.
Often goes fishing (or fish feeding as I call it - they rarely actually catch anything) or on days out with "the boys", or simply drinking coffee/eating butties with one of his mates.
Does decorating when it really needs doing, usually after months/years of hinting from me.

cornergran Sat 03-Feb-18 11:23:09

Eactly N&G grin

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-18 11:48:43

No idea really but, so long as he does it in his study and out of my way, it's fine!!

hildajenniJ Sat 03-Feb-18 11:56:51

The Grandpa here still works part time. When he's not working he does gardening, watching TV, but not the sort of TV I would watch if I had the choice. Currently, he's upstairs with 3 DGC sorting out the crawl spaces and putting away the Christmas decorations etc.

ninathenana Sat 03-Feb-18 12:24:30

Goes for a walk along the prom to get his paper, potters in his workshop with wood and other things (for hours at a time confused) does the gardening and DIY, a few domestic jobs are 'his', comes food shopping, reads and when he has time likes to paint.

ninathenana Sat 03-Feb-18 12:25:08

kitty grin

midgey Sat 03-Feb-18 12:31:26

Watches endless tv.....he forgets things these days so it’s even the same programme! Sometimes I can remember the plot, what comes next and even the blooming words!grin

NannyTee Sat 03-Feb-18 12:57:45

Rides his bike and goes for his walk. Takes me shopping and he's the cook, I'm the bottle washer .

glammanana Sat 03-Feb-18 16:48:06

He seems to do more now than when he was at work.
6am takes Poppy for her first walk for 1/2 hr,then back home to her and to feed Oliver.Walks to paper shop for his daily chat with the guy at papershop for 10mins.
Does some recycling if it needs doing,tidies up the garden and brushes the pathways.
Shouts me at 8am if I am not already up and about.Helps with any housework he will come shopping with me but stay in the car.He is not affraid to pick up the iron and do the bedding for me.
Takes Poppy for her 2nd walk until 1.30pm for 1/2 hr.
Wanders to his local for a couple of pints with his 2 pals where they put the world to rights between the three of them,I am a firm believer that men should have male company where they can talk a load of rubbish.
About 4.30 Pops goes for another walk and then tea at 5.30ish,he helps with dishes and tidying up before we settle down about 7pm.So he keeps himself rather busy and I do like having him about most of the time.

tanith Sat 03-Feb-18 17:16:01

He's been ill and under treatment for months and tends to lie in till 9/10 am but then he'll potter around and helps with recycling, or whatever needs doing vacuuming, loading dishwasher etc, we generally take a walk together if he's feeling up to it or we'll drive to the shops if we need anything. He'll play bowls or snooker with friends once or twice a week but he does love to watch old TVs shows or black and white movies.

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-18 17:52:56

I've done the resident Pa a huge disservice by being flippant!!

He does spend a lot of time in the study but he is usually playing with his stocks and shares or things related to his volunteering. He does, also, look after the DGC, a lot of the gardening, volunteer driving and being generally helpful around the house. He takes DS1 to the football, even when they are losing and he'd rather not go.

lemongrove Sat 03-Feb-18 18:28:59

Sounds like a diamond geezer Kitty ?

mollie Sat 03-Feb-18 18:34:42

I’m taking notes because the grandad here still works full time and I’ve often wondered what his days will look like when he’s retired.

Christinefrance Sat 03-Feb-18 18:39:41

Yes same here fiorentina he does the cooking, shopping, house maintenance, we share the dog walking. We make a good team.

kittylester Sat 03-Feb-18 19:10:28

He is really Lemon even though he irritates sometimes. And,I forgot the most important thing - he pours my wine!! grin

BBbevan Sat 03-Feb-18 19:54:56

Busy all day. Built two log stores, chops wood, , does the garden, put in two new gates. Decorated hall, all in last few months . Everything is incredibly well done. I can only salute him as he is 72 and has a wonky knee.

Bathsheba Sat 03-Feb-18 20:36:23

The resident Grandpa here does the garden - he's not passionate about it, but he'll cut the grass and sweep the paths and generally do whatever's needed. He always puts the bins out/brings them in, takes our DS's dog for a long walk every day - and sometimes takes our DD's dog as well so they have a run together. He isn't averse to cooking, and will often take the list and do the shopping if I'm busy doing something else. Most mornings he washes up anything left from the previous evening, and gives the hob and worktops a good clean.
He can sit and endlessly do sudokus on his laptop, and he reads a lot too - when he was working he only ever read on holiday, now it's all the time.
I don't know why I sometimes moan about him to be truthful, he's rather a good egg really smile