Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Time for a spring clean

(29 Posts)
pompa Mon 21-Mar-16 09:52:36

Hi all shredders, time to clear the shed out for summer. Kick out the spiders, along evict the mice.
Why is it that I have a big clear out before winter, two unused bike have gone along with other junk, but it has filled up again over winter.
The soil is warming up, another couple of weeks and I will start sowing veg seed. Birds are busy nesting and the frogs, well let's just say they are enjoying themselves.
Ladies, time to plan those cakes that you will be bringing along to the shed.

Jalima Mon 21-Mar-16 10:01:48

We have just had a spring clean and the sunshine is shining;
however, a lot more needs throwing out.

This thread should have a smile
pompa I can teach you how to make a simple boiled fruit cake for us - DS used to make one when he was 10! wink
as long as you have an oven in the shed.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Mar-16 10:03:37

Its lovely to see shed has opened its doors.
But if you want cake from me I'm afraid it will be shop bought.
Bet there's some lovely grandad bakers out there.
On the plus side I can help with spring clean as I've got workmen trampling over my garden at present.
A nicebrew for you pompa

Lona Mon 21-Mar-16 10:06:22

I've beaten you to it pompa! Only because I'm moving and my next door neighbour is getting the shed! smile

annsixty Mon 21-Mar-16 10:36:12

Is your move imminent Lona ?
The thought just fills me with wanting to pull blankets over my head but I suppose once the process starts momentum carries you along.
That and the excitement of a new place.

tanith Mon 21-Mar-16 10:43:36

Lovely start to the morning. Having emptied our shed our grandsons are here in the process of knocking down the old one and putting a spanking shiny new on up today. Spiders and mice evicted can't wait to get all my 'stuff' put back and start on the garden..

pompa Mon 21-Mar-16 10:49:34

Summer stars for us when the summer house gets emptied of all the garden furniture that get stored during the winter, the cushions go back on the armchairs,TV goes back all ready for summer.

glammanana Mon 21-Mar-16 13:30:18

One of my lovely neighbours had a shed in our communial garden and after she died just before xmas arrangements where made for her shed to be emptied by our Council,they unfortunatly when they opened the garden gates they went into the wrong shed and emptied another neighbours shed,the fact that the flat no. was on the sheds did not occur to them so poor neighbour lost all her possessions which have been deposited on the local tip,she now has to list and claim against the Council poor woman.

tanith Mon 21-Mar-16 14:54:41

Oooer! Just asked the man who trims our trees to quote for taking our old shed away and he wanted £150 OH said no I can buy a new bloody shed for that... 5mins later he knocked and said £70 OH told him to sling his hook . If he'd of said that in the first place we would probably of paid it but not after he tried to rip us off... don't think we'll be calling on his services again..
How much do you think is reasonable?

Synonymous Mon 21-Mar-16 15:06:16

tanith I reckon the boys down the road would have great fun knocking that down and having a bonfire! A pound of sausages to put on sticks and some big fluffy rolls to bung them in to eat and it would all be gone in no time. You could have a lot of fun with that! grin

Synonymous Mon 21-Mar-16 15:12:31

Pompa you sound like a chap who would know these sorts of things! So how is it that when we put up a new shed last year and DH put all his tools on hooks etc it looked great and totally organised and now that himself is potting up his tomato plants he has practically the whole of the shed contents shrapnelled across the lawn trying to find stuff? How does that happen?!?! hmm

pompa Mon 21-Mar-16 16:20:16

That's because sheds follow an inverse TARDIS law, the inside is always smaller than the stuff in it.

pompa Mon 21-Mar-16 16:21:06

Put you old shed on freecycle, someone may want the wood to make a hen run etc,

grannylyn65 Mon 21-Mar-16 16:25:12

I have a Granny shed !!

Lona Mon 21-Mar-16 16:27:30

annsixty Not imminent, but in my road houses sell like hot cakes, so I'm being very organised! shock One opposite to me went in three days, just last week!
It's quite hard work when you live alone, so I don't want to do it again!hmm

tanith Mon 21-Mar-16 16:59:40

Thankyou Pompa I'm going to do that right now...

Synonymous we have no lighting fires policy in our borough unfortunately although i think after dusk is ok but I'm sure the neighbours would have something to say about burning a whole shed with the stink of creosote too and wouldn't the fumes be dangerous?

Daddima Mon 21-Mar-16 17:08:52

For me, spring has sprung when the garden furniture comes out of the shed, and it gets washed ( along with the paving).

However, this year I am going to attempt to grow potatoes in heavy duty refuse bags. Watch this space!

Tizliz Mon 21-Mar-16 17:27:01

Pompa thought you were banned to your shed to make your music! Do the veg seeds like being played to?

pompa Mon 21-Mar-16 17:42:06

Being banned to the shed seems to be a suggestion from my fellow Gners, Mrs P doesn't have a problem, but I do practice in the summer house when it's warm.

mollie Mon 21-Mar-16 17:45:23

I'm moving too so I've been saying goodbye to old plant friends and donating many of my pots and tubs (with and without plants) to anyone who wants them. I feel in need of a whole fresh start garden-wise and am hoping to pinpoint the right spot for a grandma-shed. Happy days...

Synonymous Mon 21-Mar-16 17:49:25

tanith bother the 'elf n safety goblins' eh?! hmm Never mind, as Pompa says someone might use bits to make a hen hoose or similar.

You should have seen some of the bonfires we have had recently since we have been excavating an overgrown garden. And the stuff that has been stashed in the undergrowth has been mind blowing. We have two large metallic casks with all kinds of pipes and stuff attached so we were even wondering if it was a still. Hope DH doesn't get any whacky ideas!grin

Synonymous Mon 21-Mar-16 18:00:10

Pompa I suppose that is the same law that governs garages too is it? I mentioned it to DH and he seems to be in agreement anyway. I hope there is some kind of antidote or magic cupboard available anyway! smile

Synonymous Mon 21-Mar-16 18:05:27

mollie we have been wishing we weren't so gung-ho and generous with some of our stuff and reckon we should have bagged some future cuttings perhaps. We thought we were moving to a smaller garden but as we have cleared the garden it is much larger than we thought!

To everyone on the move hope it all goes well. smile

TriciaF Mon 21-Mar-16 18:21:04

Pompa - I wish you could convince my DH - his is a "workshop", and he never cleans it, apart from sweeping up the wood dust occasionally. Just accumulates more things, hanging onto old things which "might come in useful some time?"

Jalima Mon 21-Mar-16 20:11:40

DH has got someone coming this week to concrete the base for a larger shed (about triple the size of the present one).
I suggested that half of it could be a nice little summer house (fallen on deaf ears so far, what on earth is he going to keep in there?). The garden furniture goes in the garage, his workshop is in the garage with all the rest of the junk (no room for a car).

Perhaps he'll buy a ukele