Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Bee in your Bonnet?

(83 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 07-Feb-16 12:35:29

Here you are - a thread all ready for discussion of Age UK Enterprises!

Stansgran Sun 07-Feb-16 14:13:09

Oh bother. I posted on another thread.

Realgranddad Sun 07-Feb-16 19:06:24

Thanks folks, any chance of you IT skilled Grans putting Bee in your bonnet on a page that will attract both females and males?

The Bee in my bonnet (or cap ) today is the growing unfairness in society. Attacks on social housing and rural transport cruel cuts.

Ironically, I voted for a Conservative candidate who is now breaking every promise made. So I am partly to blame for trusting him.

A question I would like to have answered is how we get the more caring MP's to understand the cuts are going to far in damaging our infrastructure without being accused of being political ,which I am not?
I am just being a decent Christian.

Jalima Sun 07-Feb-16 19:23:22

Well, Realgranddad it would then be our post, not yours.
I may not have the same bees in my bonnet as you smile

Click Forums, find the heading you want to put it under, click 'create conversation', type your heading and questions in an OP and away you go.

In your case it could be 'Bee in my Cap' as bonnet is rather feminine and not many grandads wear them imo.

Good luck.

kittylester Sun 07-Feb-16 19:24:08

Start your own Flipping thread then Realgrandad!

Ana Sun 07-Feb-16 19:34:21

Exactly - less complaining and more getting on with it! Every thread on here has been started by a GN member (apart from the GNHQ ones).

If you want more threads for men, start them yourself Realgrandad.

POGS Sun 07-Feb-16 19:35:05

But you have posted before on the News and Politics Forum Realgranddad .

For the benefit of doubt is it because you don't know how to ' start a discussion ' that you are raising issues?

POGS Sun 07-Feb-16 19:46:56

Actually forget that question, you started your own thread called Grandparents so you do know how to start a thread.

Imperfect27 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:47:33

RealGranddad, welcome. I am sure you will soon get the hang of things and from your post on another thread you are clearly an interesting person who will have a lot to contribute. Sorry you have encountered grumpy-old-woman syndrome, but I reckon you will quickly be seen as an asset here. smile

ninathenana Sun 07-Feb-16 22:16:00

To be frank I only noticed where this thread was posted after reading your comment RealGrandad I read the title not which forum it's on. So this thread will attract both genders IMHO

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 22:22:45

Why was this thread put in Grandads Shed? It should be in News. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 22:24:09

Oh God! confused

moon

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 11:00:58

Thank goodness it is not just me that drops clangers, we are busy today preparing for a party for local Chinese New Year celebrations. Hope these strong winds die down soon.

Catch up later I hope if there is no Monkey business at the party.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 08-Feb-16 11:15:14

Hope the party goes well! I don't think it really matters where a popular thread lives because it will always be near the top of posts with recent replies. If this thread takes off, we can always ask GNHQ to move it. smile

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 11:32:07

Ana, thank you for your inspiring welcome comments to a new member, not sure what it will do to encourage more males to to contribute. In anycase you got it completely wrong. I in my heavy boots intended to seek a non gender thread that encouraged both males and females to contribute. I thought " Bee in my Bonnet (or Cap) would do just that.

I will try to offer an occasional subject for the day, that might encourage others to suggest more constuctive subjects: The one that caught my eye this morning was the CAB research.Was the overnight type of inceases in Care.

Typical care home fees for elderly people surged by an average of £900 last year alone – and more than twice that for those needing more intensive nursing, new research has disclosed.
Meanwhile as many as 22,000 older people receiving residential care in England – or almost one in 10 – were given just a week’s notice before seeing hefty increases on their bills,
it found.
Most of the others were given less than a month to adjust to significant increases in their care bills, the investigation by the charity Citizens Advice concluded.

Jalima Mon 08-Feb-16 11:53:46

Is it just me who is confused?

I thought my post above was on another thread or am I losing the plot?

Jalima Mon 08-Feb-16 11:55:49

No, I am losing the plot because one thread sounded like another.

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 12:40:54

Your losing the plot, then no wonder new comers like this old codger gets lost in all these threads, I need a darning needle to draw them all together. Never mind I will get the thread in time. Otherwise I shall continue making that big hole bigger instead of repairing it. Good job I learnt to darn in the RAF.

Love to all, ( or should I have not expressed any affection?)

I am new to these chats, but slowly learning.

James

DotMH1901 Mon 08-Feb-16 13:23:49

Are there many Grandads on here? Don't see many posts at all from our male counterparts ? As to Care Home costs - it is a sad (I think) reflection of life today that so many elderly people end up in a Care Home. The owners of these homes are not (as a rule) a Charity and want to make a profit out of their businesses. The Government (doesn't matter which Party as they have all done the same) would rather pay towards private care charges than do something themselves to ensure care in the community. Many elderly people could remain at home if the care services were there for them and not being restricted to just 15 minutes per day per 'client'.

I would like to see communities being built specifically for older people, with something along the lines of the Tiny Homes design, and including a GP/local general shop + Post Office and on a bus route! I see so many posts about elderly people being lonely and cut off - if these communities existed it could well give them a new lease of life. Provision could be made for additional housing to be available for family visits etc.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 08-Feb-16 13:28:28

You can express affection to me all you like Realgranddad. I lap it up. smile

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 13:35:02

I like DoTMH1901 suggestion of communities being built specifically for older people, with something along the lines of the Tiny Homes design, and including a GP/local general shop + Post Office and on a bus route!

Two years ago, I nearly blew my top when a Councillor in Cotswolds opposed the Anchor Homes similar to the Tiny Homes design, saying he did not want older peoples getto's in the Cotswolds.

Such Nimby's do make me sick.

James

Jalima Mon 08-Feb-16 14:13:49

Bond - James Bond?
wink

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 14:14:36

Hi you lovely Ladies, any chance of encouraging more granddads on here?.

When I considered joining in on the discussions, I kept coming back to GN site but found the Home page off putting, mainly because there rarely seemed to be a subject on the page of interest to a male.

Which is why when I did join you after months of should if's and but's, I asked about the possibility of having a non gender forum, which seemed to upset quite a few.

It was never my intention to infer that granddads should try to change the ethos of GN or the lovely chats you ladies enjoy.

We are all aware that loneliness is horrible and needs tackling. There are 1,000's of lonely males who need a good push and will need considerable encouragement to get them on this site.

I believe you ladies do have the charm and great ability to help them to overcome that loneliness, in fact you can achieve it for both our genders.
Can I therefore request you to consider inviting suggestions encourging more granddads to join GN, perhaps, starting by revamping the Home page, hopefully, to attract more Grans and Graddads without upsetting established view?

Love to all.

James

Realgranddad Mon 08-Feb-16 14:22:51

Jalima,

not sure about Bond more "Hardy" , with a friend Laurel smile

Jalima Mon 08-Feb-16 17:22:20

I asked about the possibility of having a non gender forum, which seemed to upset quite a few

But, as we said, there are a lot of non-gender specific forums (or fora), I am sure that posts from a male perspective would be most welcome. And, if other posters disagree with your views, it will be because they disagree with your viewpoint not because you are male.