Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Gifts for men

(17 Posts)
HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:16:10

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for gifts for men on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:18:35

Kindle - overall rating 10/10

(From carole1002)

(2011) The best idea in the world EVER! I like the apps that read you the story. I take it on the bus, to appointments where I'm going to spend time in the waiting room, and shopping (so I can have a read whilst drinking my cappucino)

(From grannygrunt)

(2011) I was recently given the gift of a Kindle ebook, I never thought I would ever give up books but this is the best present I could have wished for. I use it everyday and it is really handy to take with you on bus journeys, holidays etc as it is small but holds hundreds of books. Great

HQ1 Mon 27-Jul-15 17:21:33

'Hot Highlander' hot water bottle cover

(From lucid)

(2011) The Hot Highlander cover is brilliant...handmade and very cute. Would make a good gift for a granny too....although I think the grandchildren might also want to use it. It looks like a little headless highland man ie kilt, shirt and waistcoat and a teeny red bow tie.

You can buy it here - www.folksy.com/shops/elliescraftycrafts

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:33:13

Albion Throw, Scarlet & Argent - overall rating 10/10

(From JosieGransnet)

(2011) If you're looking for a gift for the man in your life that will also be a gift for you, I'd really recommend the Albion throw. It's a lovely soft wool blanket that's just about the right size to snuggle up with on the sofa, or have at the bottom of your bed to keep your feet warm.

It's a white blanket with sparse red and blue checks, and looks so modern and stylish you wouldn't mind guests seeing that this is how you keep warm on the sofa (although they don't need to know it's while you're watching Strictly).

At £105, this throw isn't cheap, but you can really feel luxurious in it - Grandad (and you) deserve it!

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:35:14

Fascinating Aida CD - overall rating 10/10

(From Elegran)

(2011) Female comedy singing group who are side-splittingly funny. For a taste of their music see www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVASZ2lCY5Y.

Their website is www.fascinatingaida.co.uk/home.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:37:00

Mini Remote Controlled Helicopter - overall rating 10/10

(From snailspeak)

(2011) He received this in advance of Christmas and the first time he used it, it turned round and hit him on the head. Great fun as long as there are no breakables around.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:38:34

Personalised Year of Birth Wine - overall rating 10/10

(From Pittcity)

(2014) A bottle of fruity Chilean Merlot, crisp, dry Sauvignon Blanc or delicate Chilean Rosé. Presented in a personalised wooden gift box.

The label is personalised with age, year of birth and name of the recipient.

A lovely gift for a Birthday and reasonably priced at £19.95 plus £4.95 delivery.

Available from www.theoriginalgift.co.uk/Personalised-Year-of-Birth-Wine/Product1_22552_-1_110761_11056.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:40:06

Russian hat with ear flaps - overall rating 10/10

(From nette)

(2011) It would appear that ears get bigger with age, and when out with grandchildren and pets warm ears are essential. This hat does the trick.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:45:54

Electric can opener, Kenwood - overall rating 9.5/10

(From betejaid)

(2012) These are brilliant, for him and me (!)

(From weather)

(2011) Great, works really well... ideal when the strength in the wrists is giving up...also includes a knife sharpener.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:53:43

Grow your own mushroom kit - overall rating 9/10

(From geekygran)

(2011) I bought my kit from: www.woodfruit.co.uk/grow-your-own-mushroom-kits.html.

(From upsydaisy)

(2011) This sounds good, children would probably like to watch them grow too. Where can we get them from?

(From geekygran)

(2011) This gift went down well last Christmas -a 'grow your own pearl oyster mushrooms' kit. Visitors to the house were amazed, as were we, with the sight of these enormous mushrooms growing out of the bag. They tasted good in stir fry, too!

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:55:32

Le Chameau Country Vibram wellington boots - overall rating 9/10

(From Iwantmylunch)

(2013) We were asked to review a pair of Le Chameau Country Vibram wellies, from the wellyshop.com.

We ordered an adult size 10 for my husband. These boots arrived well packaged and promptly. I had chosen them because I was familiar with Le Chameau's good reputation, and how they are renowned for their handmade country boots.

The boots I chose were an updated version of the Popular Multi-purpose Country All Tracks boot. It features a dual density vibram sole giving strength, stability and grip in all directions - the soles are also well known for walking boot soles (which I didn't know prior to this!). It has a hardwearing natural rubber outer and was reinforced at heel, shin and toe for added protection from perforation.

We certainly noticed how versatile these wellies are, even after the first go. Not only are they visibly sturdy, they can be difficult to pull off. Which isn't a bad thing. My husband wore them around the house for the rest of the evening; he said they were so comfy. They feel secure when walking and because of the tough materials used, and since taking them outside, we haven't had a leak yet.

When we first got the boots out the box, we thought they appeared too big for a size 10. But we were surprised to find that the boots are contoured to fit perfectly; the calf styling is meant to be for comfort and support and we can agree that it does help!

We've only had these boots for a month and my husband has used them fairly regularly without any trouble (of course he's no longer allowed to walk in the house with them on now they've been outside!)

These boots retail at £89.99, so they're not cheap if you're looking for basic wellies. However, they are one of the lowest priced Le Chameau boots, considering they reach up to £300+. Wellyshop.com stock a range of Le Chameau boots, amongst other brands like Hunter and Havaianas.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:57:07

Membership of a car club - overall rating 9/10

(From nannasarah)

(2011) Popular gift with DH. Monthly magazine and discounts at car dealerships and garages.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:58:53

Azzaro Chrome Summer fragrance for men - overall rating 8/10

(From Happy2Be)

(2014) The Azzaro fragrances are always something different/special. I have sampled several. This is a great, cooling one for summer. It's quite citrusy which creates a nice fresh fragrance but this is balanced with a woody scent which comes from Brazilian Rosewood.

HQ1 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:01:12

Tens machine with massager, various manufacturers - overall rating 8/10

(From Nine)

(2011) Fab for when Grandad spends too much time in the garden and suffers from stiff and painful muscles in his arms and shoulders. Stops the groans wonderfully!

rubylady Fri 31-Jul-15 16:23:52

I had just thought of a microwaveable wheat bag for my dad for over winter, but read a report of a woman dying due to bag overheating in bed and causing a fire, so cross that one off then. Beware then of buying these.

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:47:08

Poor lady who died.

I always use microwavable wheat bags to keep cosy.

Can't help but wonder how it can overheat in bed.... unless perhaps the instructions were not heeded and it was really highly overheated in the microwave and continued to be hot/smoulder in the middle.

If the wheat bag is heated according to instructions and only heated to be 'hot to the touch', is able to be carried comfortably, it is likely to be ok. Mine is heated for 1 minute.

Saraali Tue 14-Jun-16 10:30:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.