Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Austin A40 etc

(23 Posts)
pompa Sat 27-Sep-14 17:04:00

Anyone have an Austin 40 back in the 60's ?. Just watching them race at the Goodwood festival, OMG our was NEVER as fast as that.

nightowl Sat 27-Sep-14 17:17:14

My dad had an Austin A40 pompa, and we spent many happy hours touring the local roads and lanes with him supervising me as a learner driver. We had to stop off at a couple of pubs where he would have a shandy (though he was dying for a pint, but took his responsibilities - or his car - too seriously for that when I was at the wheel). Happy days! I can't imagine racing one!

Tegan Sat 27-Sep-14 20:43:50

We were more Ford Pop people. My ex and his mates used to drive round corners, open the doors, and stick their legs out blush; this was student days of course.

shysal Sat 27-Sep-14 21:25:29

Yes, our first car was a Morris Minor, but the second was an A40. The rear window opened up, possibly the forerunner of the hatchback. I was learning to drive at the time, but hubby (now ex) was furious when someone shunted into the rear when I was hesitant at a junction, putting me off for a year or two, until I could afford proper lessons.

Anya Sat 27-Sep-14 22:15:01

.Shysal my first car was a split-screen Morris Minor, with little arms at the side which popped out as indicators!

tiggypiro Sat 27-Sep-14 22:24:30

Nothing quite so posh as an A40 ! Mine was an A30. It was always useful to have the skill to ram it into a low gear when the brakes failed !!

gillybob Sat 27-Sep-14 22:24:49

Hi Pomp Reading this thread my DH has just told me he had a powder blue (with a black roof plus orange rust ) Farina Mark 1 in 1972. It was 10 year old at the time. He bought it for £30 and sold it a year later for the same money. It had the reg number of either DOT 59 or 59 DOT he can't recall. Probably worth more than the car. smile

gillybob Sat 27-Sep-14 22:28:05

Oops sorry. Not pomp ! pompa DH said his lights often failed and he remembers carrying a torch to stick in the window "just incase" . Following this car he had a 1961 Ford Anglia. (Angela) .

ninathenana Sat 27-Sep-14 22:40:49

tiggy DH's cousin had an A30. He once travelled home from playing rugby with 7 passengers shock including DH, this was before I knew him.

ninathenana Sat 27-Sep-14 22:44:21

My first car was an Austin maxi. Reg ended WDY hence she was called woody smile

Marmight Sat 27-Sep-14 23:04:06

My Dad had an A40, MRU 269. It had a rather fetching 'bottom'! I had an A30 in the late 60's which my Grandad gave me when he gave up driving. It was grey with red leather seats, OBY 475. I loved it and used to bomb down the A27 to Brighton - downhill it reached the dizzy heights of 65 mph. Occasionally it wouldn't start, even with the handle, so I had to lift the bonnet and jiggle something with a knotched cane to get the oil/petrol flowing. It had dear little 'wings' as indicators - oh, those were the days. Strange that I can remember the registration numbers but haven't a clue what the reg of my present car is. confused

shysal Sun 28-Sep-14 07:14:16

Isn't it strange how we remember the old registration numbers of those cars. I can even recall my childhood ones; BVO 330, CRO 810, PFC 753. Yet I come to use a car park machine which asks for my current reg and I have to think hard!
Anya, our Morris Minor was like yours, bought second hand for £40 and sold a couple of years later for the same. They are collectors items now! I always wanted a Minor 1,000,000, a limited edition, but way out of my price range!

petra Sun 05-Oct-14 17:31:49

OH being the petrol head that he was (still is) was done for racing on the public highway in his A40. He had to have 12 extra pages put in his licence as they threw everything at him, including taking his test again.

Mishap Sun 05-Oct-14 17:44:49

My OH had a A40 van when we first met - I will keep my memories to myself!!!

JoyBloggs Sun 05-Oct-14 20:17:07

tiggypiro My first car was an A30 too, I paid £50 for it and apart from needing a replacement secondhand gearbox every so often it was no trouble at all! It was grey and affectionately known initially as 'The Tub' and later rechristened 'Hippo' when my future DH came on the scene as he thought it resembled a hippopotamus. Although very tiny, up to 8 people could travel very uncomfortably in it, provided they all breathed in and out simultaneously. I was a student at the time, aged about 19, and believe it or not the insurance was only £12 a year.

annodomini Sun 05-Oct-14 20:47:31

I failed my first test in an A40. Eventually passed in a Morris Minor.

feetlebaum Sun 05-Oct-14 21:32:56

That's five tests you failed!

Purpledaffodil Sun 05-Oct-14 21:48:24

DH bought his first car in 1966 and it was a 1938 Standard Flying 10. Would be a classic car now, but back then it was a student's old banger. My mum's war work had been stripping down engines for Pickford's and when the car broke down, she would advise him which bit went where. We called the car Eglantine, partly because it was a Standard Eglantine and partly because like Chaucer's Prioress, she was 'full fair and fetys'. Gosh we were intellectual back in those days and rather pretentious too smile

annodomini Sun 05-Oct-14 22:22:36

feetle. I will have you know that I only failed two tests. In 54 years of driving I have had only five speeding tickets. grin