Gransnet forums

Gardening

Late flowers, Global Warming

(6 Posts)
J52 Wed 16-Nov-22 09:11:58

My Acidanthera, a type of Glaiolus, only produces leaves during the summer. Here it is flowering on the 16th of November.
So far we’ve had only mild weather with no frosts in my part of the Midlands. Anyone else with similar late to flower for the first time plants?

J52 Wed 16-Nov-22 09:13:11

I should have said ‘ produced leaves’. It normally flowers in August.

Lathyrus Wed 16-Nov-22 09:15:41

I still can’t bear to pull up the nasturtiums which are running riot up my fences. I really need to put my bulbs in though. It’s a hard decision.

And not just late flowering. On a walk last week I saw my first violets and primroses.

shysal Wed 16-Nov-22 09:32:35

I noticed some mounds of Aubretia in full flower on my morning walk through the village.

nanna8 Wed 16-Nov-22 09:49:18

Well it’s freezing here in Melbourne. And very wet. We must have missed out. We haven’t had a really hot Summer in decades ,I think the global warming has missed us or it has moved to other parts of the world. Not complaining because in the 1970s when it was hot it was all a bit much.

robertsilver Wed 11-Jan-23 23:44:11

Oh yeah, climate change is real. And I've experienced something similar, about two years ago. My sword lilies were so late to flower for like a month, and it had me so worried. I checked out with every expert here only to be told to be more patient. Which I did but begrudgingly, coz I had had them (still have them) for more than seven years and they never failed to flower. Thankfully by early November they finally bloomed.

I still don't know why this happened then (never bloomed late again ever since) but I learned that it's caused by temp changes and day lengths. I had initially thought that it was something to do nutrient imbalance, which is what Google suggested. But I hadn't done anything the whole year. I always care for my sword lilies the same way every year, so this was troubling to me at the time, sometimes every summer I kinda feel anxious if they'll flower as expected.

Anyways, climate change is real and is affecting us.