Gransnet forums

Gardening

A splash of bright colour in November

(26 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 09-Nov-22 15:41:46

A splash of bright pink caught my eye in the garden. When I looked it was this fabulous Amarcrinum Howardii which I planted years ago and has never flowered before although having green evergreen leaves. A lovely surprise. It really cheered a miserable November day. I’ve ordered 2 bulbs to grow in the cool conservatory for next year. Just had to share.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Nov-22 15:46:40

Always nicest when unexpected! Lovely.

shysal Thu 10-Nov-22 07:47:17

My first-year Amarines are late coming into flower, I had given up on them until I spotted the buds. They are a lovely vibrant pink. I think they might be related to yours, 25Avalon, judging by the similar name.
They are in a trough and a pot, so I have moved them near the front and back doors so that I can enjoy them.

25Avalon Thu 10-Nov-22 09:21:17

Gosh Shysal they look lovely too. I checked Amarines are a cross between Amaryllis and Nerines whereas mine are a cross between Amarylis and Crinum. Amazing what they are doing with cross breeding. Mine is taller like a Lily and has a fragrance but yours looks as if it’s better for mass planting, hardy down to -10 and comes in several colours. Is yours Anastasia? I’m going to get some. Thanks for posting.

shysal Thu 10-Nov-22 11:17:18

Yes, they are Anastasia. I saw some in Carole Klein's garden on TV last autumn and made a note to myself to order some. I got then on line from Farmer Gracy Bulbs.

25Avalon Thu 10-Nov-22 12:19:54

Not available until Spring but can be pre-ordered from Farmer Gracy in December. I’ll be there!

MiniMoon Sun 13-Nov-22 13:18:44

I just had to show you our alstromerias. Absolutely beautiful, they think it's still summer.
DH brought the helichrysom into the porch/conservatory and they are still going strong too.

25Avalon Sun 13-Nov-22 14:17:35

Alstroemerias are another favourite. They just keep on giving every year. The other plant that flowers it’s heart out for me from June to November is a lovely red penstemon.

Ziplok Sun 13-Nov-22 14:29:13

Yes, 25Avalon, my red penstemon (with pinky white interior) is flowering so well, too. Such a joy to have these blooms at this time. Amazingly, there’s one small head of lilac flowering on my potted lilac tree at the moment, too, even though it has shed almost all of its leaves. Everything is very topsy turvy this year.

Aldom Sun 13-Nov-22 15:49:05

Gorgeous Minimoon smile

Nannytopsy Sun 13-Nov-22 17:32:48

Dahlia Cafe au lait has just produce its first flower of the summer!

AreWeThereYet Sun 13-Nov-22 18:30:30

I was a bit shocked this morning to see flowers on an Escallonia hedge - I was just thinking it was looking a bit sad after being cut back when I noticed all the pink buds. It's going to look beautiful in a few weeks if we don't get a cold spell before the flowers come out.

Fleurpepper Sun 13-Nov-22 18:33:23

I have 2 standard marguerites which are currently flowering for the 3rd time! Calendula too- I Chelsea chopped and coming back again, primulas are flowering for the second time, and some veronicas, which I cut down end of August, just about to flower. Madness!

BlueBelle Sun 13-Nov-22 18:41:37

I have a rose out, one dahlia, a nasturtium and a marigold as well as Nerines

Kate1949 Sun 13-Nov-22 18:49:08

MiniMoon I'm very envious of your alsteromerias. They are my favourite flowers. We treated ourselves to one (like the paler one in your picture) from the garden centre this year. It has been a disaster. We put it in a large pot and it hardly flowered then shriveled up. We are going to put it in the ground. Any tips for how to encourage it?

Visgir1 Sun 13-Nov-22 19:13:59

Crazy weather 20° in my garden today.
My hanging baskets on the fences are still an abundance of Geraniums, Banana plant still fine, Canas still perky, plus others, my Alstroemeria's still in flower.
Dreading a sudden frost, but just not right at the moment to pack away in Greenhouse or wrap up in fleece.
Bonkers weather.

Grayling1 Sun 13-Nov-22 19:21:11

AreWeThereYet - my escallonia is flowering away here in the north of Scotland and lots of buds forming. It was a beautiful day here today - more like May/early June - long may it last. My only complaint is my brown bin collection by the Council finishes next week and I am loath to empty some of my pots (£45 per year for 9 months and I do like to get my money's worth!!).

VB000 Mon 14-Nov-22 11:48:12

This salvia (uliginosa) is the best thing in the garden at the moment - every year it flowers from August until first frosts

Aldom Mon 14-Nov-22 11:58:28

So difficult to believe it is mid November. It's very still and mild today. Rather damp, yesterday was lovely and sunny. I have enjoyed doing lots of tidying in the garden, whilst not feeling cold!

Witzend Mon 14-Nov-22 12:03:01

I’ve still got a potted begonia doing its best! I was never mad keen on begonias but this one, in its 3rd year now, has certainly earned its keep.

Aldom Wed 16-Nov-22 16:07:32

Seen today as I walked the family dog in Oxford.

Aldom Wed 16-Nov-22 16:09:51

And some more.

overthehill Wed 30-Nov-22 14:41:38

Does anyone do any gardening this time of year? Reason I ask, in the past we would attack the garden around October and chop most things back and leave them to pop up following year. After losing one plant decided perhaps best to leave everything and just tidy it up. Only now it is cold and thinking should I once again venture out to pick up dead leaves etc. I'm not a fan of gardening by the way.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:35:30

I potter out and do perhaps half an hour a day if the weather is ok.

So gradually working my way around the garden.

The aim is to have it ship shape by March.

Casdon Wed 30-Nov-22 17:01:01

Whitewavemark2

I potter out and do perhaps half an hour a day if the weather is ok.

So gradually working my way around the garden.

The aim is to have it ship shape by March.

Same, Whitewavemark. I’ve been out there today tidying up, and rather belatedly lifting my dahlias to store for the winter. I wouldn’t say I enjoy it while I’m doing it unless the sun is shining, but I always feel better afterwards.