Gransnet forums

Gardening

My ficus is poorly

(7 Posts)
Purplepoppies Thu 03-Nov-22 13:48:42

Can any of you lovely people identify what is wrong with my ficus please?
Having read umpteen pages online it 'could be' fungus, overwatering, underwatering, not enough light, too much light.
I'm very confused πŸ˜•
Thank you in advance for all advice

Quokka Thu 03-Nov-22 14:18:34

Have you tried talking to it? Our new King says this works.

Redhead56 Thu 03-Nov-22 14:23:43

My plant is the same and dropping leaves I have googled it too and I am just getting the same results as you. I have decided to repot it and put extra grit in to retain moisture and not water it as much.

Esspee Thu 03-Nov-22 14:24:48

Yes indeed, it could be any of these.
The important thing is what to do now.
I would repot into good quality compost, washing off all the present soil in case of vine weevils, firm it in providing temporary support then water it, leaves and compost with a mild dose of fertiliser and only rewater when the compost is dry. Good luck.

MrsKen33 Thu 03-Nov-22 15:29:04

My plant book says insufficient light or draughts. We had a similar problem, every time we moved the plant more leaves dropped off. We moved it away from the front door. It has been fine since. Good luck

Purplepoppies Thu 03-Nov-22 17:56:01

Thank you very much for your advice.
It was pot bound, I repotted hoping that would sort the problem.
I think I've become slightly afraid of doing the wrong thing πŸ˜•
I did move her when I noticed the spots. I was concerned my other plants would be affected. They haven't been. It was further away from the window and probably in a draft.
I have moved her halfway back (after reading it might shock the plant to moved right back into the sunlight).
@Esspee I will give her a feed with the next water. What do you recommend?
@Quokka I speak to all my plants everyday. My family and friends think I'm nuts but I'm not bothered 🀣
They don't answer back and make everyday a joy πŸ’œ

Visgir1 Thu 03-Nov-22 18:31:14

Mine is like a tree now it's over 30 years old. I have repotted it quite a few time over the years.
It had a serious break about 7 years ago when the grown up "kitten" decided to climb it, so I cut it down quite drastically, but it recovered well.

I put it on the garden each year. I give it a good cut and feed , once in the garden about May time, its still out there.
Once I see its going to get frosty, in it will come. I do live in South of England, but they love the garden.
Tough plants, I know when it's time to put out again when the leaves start to fall, around April.