Gransnet forums

Gardening

How to care for a red hot poker plant

(8 Posts)
lixy Sun 30-Oct-22 21:45:26

I have a red hot poker that has made a big clump. It had 10 pokers this Summer but is getting too big for its space.
Advice seems to be to mulch it over the Winter and then divide it in the Spring - to 'tickle the roots apart'!
This will be a new venture for me, and this plant is big - about a metre across at the base - so the thought of tickling its roots is a bit daunting.
Have you done this? Any hints and tips about how to go about it would be very gratefully received.

Jaxjacky Sun 30-Oct-22 21:56:15

I had one many years ago, tbh I don’t remember when I split it, but I know I used a spade and it was hard work. Good luck.

lixy Sun 30-Oct-22 21:59:43

Thanks - I have until the Spring to build up the biceps!!

Auntieflo Mon 31-Oct-22 11:29:56

Perhaps you will have to do as Monty Don did recently with something that needed dividing.
Two forks, back to back, and work back and forth until the clump splits.
Good luck, it sounds like hard work.

lixy Mon 31-Oct-22 13:48:53

Using two forks sounds like a good idea - more realistic than tickling for sure. Thanks.

Maybe I should get the family to do a reprise of 'Fork andles' for Christmas!

Aldom Mon 31-Oct-22 13:52:46

Years ago I tried and failed to divide my red hot poker plant. I just couldn't dig it out of the ground. You might have to ask a strong man to help you.

robertsilver Wed 11-Jan-23 22:59:44

You'll have to wait until spring coz right now in winter thats when the poker plant feeds on food it has stored during other seasons. I'm sorry but the "tickling" of its roots is the best way to cut the spread. The fork idea is also great coz it's a more careful method (well, they all are). I had a similar problem two years back and I dug up the clump. Then used a sharp knife to carefully slice through the rootball without killing the growing tips on each clump. I gave away the ones I had removed to my neighbor. I helped her replant.

Esmay Thu 09-Feb-23 12:49:11

When dividing plants with the two fork back to back method I've trickled a hose on them to losen the roots from the soil .

I've not divided Red Hot Pokers yet - have one to do , but when dividing Agapanthus I've cut through the roots with a clean sharp knife with success ( after battling to divide them ) I don't know if you can do the same with Red Hot Pokers .