Gransnet forums

Gardening

Any idea what these apples are?

(22 Posts)
Witzend Fri 21-Oct-22 11:40:10

I’m dealing with a load of windfalls from a dd’s garden. Standard sized lemon is there for comparison. They’re cookers, not eaters, and mostly large-Bramley size, but a lot of red, rather than all green.

The apple tree is probably very old, was v likely there when the house was built in 1929 - neighbours have similar trees so the area was possibly an orchard.
Any ideas?
They make a very nice pie or crumble!

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Oct-22 11:43:32

Do they mush down or stay firm, Witzend?

Witzend Fri 21-Oct-22 11:47:22

Er, well the first batch has just simmered - some a bit mush and some still relatively firm, but that could be down to where they were in the saucepan. I did stir a bit but maybe not enough.

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-22 12:01:50

Could be James Grieve.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Grieve_(apple)

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Oct-22 12:05:20

Lord Lambourne?

Witzend Fri 21-Oct-22 12:52:29

Thanks, everybody.
James Grieve could be a possibility - I don’t think LL - they’re not as tart as Bramleys but I wouldn’t fancy eating one raw.
They do drop early in hot weather, but so many of them now.

Despite cutting out masses of bad bits, I haven’t see one maggot, but maybe that’s down to the time of year - all turned into whatever insect and flown by now.

Farmor15 Fri 21-Oct-22 13:43:15

Look like Bramleys to me. Some have some red- pic shows mine. James Grieve ripen much earlier and are yellow/red.

Namsnanny Fri 21-Oct-22 13:51:23

They look like my kind of apple.
Mine are all over now and in the freezer.
Also mine dont keep well
I found hardly no infestation this year.
Did we have a cold spell last winter that killed off the eggs/lava?

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Oct-22 15:13:13

We didn't have any apples this year, fairly young trees but they did produce some last year.
No plums either!

GrannyLaine Fri 21-Oct-22 15:19:08

Some of the Bramleys we grow are flushed red - It definitely looks like a Bramley to me.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 21-Oct-22 15:30:42

They look the same as mine, my tree is a out 20 yrs old and it’s a Bramley, lots of small green apples this year but the high ones are flushed with red like yours and are quite large.

MiniMoon Fri 21-Oct-22 15:56:53

Blenheim orange is a possibility. They cook well and make very good puree. Your apple looks more like these or James Grieve rather than a Bramley.

Redhead56 Fri 21-Oct-22 19:02:59

They look like Cox orange to me

Witzend Fri 21-Oct-22 19:25:03

That’s interesting - I’ve never seen anything but unoformly bright green Bramleys, but then I’ve only ever seen them in shops.,

I do think they’re less tart than Bramleys - I wonder if they could be a hybrid of unknown parentage, so to speak? Say a Bramley parent and A. N. Other?

Redhead56, the colouring is similar but they’re much bigger than any Cox I’ve ver seen.

Esmay Fri 21-Oct-22 20:55:52

I agree with Mini Moon - they look like a Blenheim Orange to me and possibly a James Grieve , but not a Bramleys .

Esmay Fri 21-Oct-22 21:00:56

Do you know how old the orchard is ?
Might be worth contacting the RHS if they are old heritage apples .
There's also the possibility that some one has cross pollinated them though the more I look at your photo I think that they are Blenheims .

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-22 21:06:39

You could try this site for identifying it. They have 617 varieties of apple to choose from...

www.fruitid.com/#identification/1

25Avalon Fri 21-Oct-22 21:44:40

Could be Newton Wonder. I have an ancient fallen apple tree which I couldn’t identify and cooked into a purée within 5 minutes. I sent three of the fruits with £20 off to Brogdale who hold the National Apple Collection. They identified it for me as an Upton Pine originating in Devon.

GrannyLaine Sat 22-Oct-22 09:17:25

This might help clarify for those that don't grow apples. These are Bramleys picked yesterday from our allotment. We planted the tree about 20 years ago. Smaller fruit this year because it has been so dry and also noticeably less tart.

25Avalon Sat 22-Oct-22 11:50:40

If you cut the apple horizontally through the core you will reveal a formation of pips and star shapes inside which varies from apple to apple. You can then look it up online to see if it’s a Blenheim, Bramley or Newton Wonder. It’s fascinating to see the different formations. If it’s an uncommon apple like mine you need Brogdale.

Greyduster Sat 22-Oct-22 12:14:48

Worcester Pearmain? Beauty of Bath? Both old varieties.

Witzend Sat 22-Oct-22 12:19:14

Blast it, Avalon, they’re all stewed now, all the bits in the food waste bin.

I will def. look up Blenheim Orange, sounds a possibility. Dd also lives not far from Blenheim, not that I suppose that’s really relevant.