Gransnet forums

Gardening

Spring bulbs

(3 Posts)
62Granny Tue 18-Oct-22 14:25:30

I planted a selection of spring bulbs in two big containers and they have sprouted green shoots already? I am not an experienced gardener so is this normal?

Namsnanny Tue 18-Oct-22 14:33:38

Agapanthus (Grape Hyacinth) are showing in my garden. They are coming up in the neighbours garden also.

But they were planted ages ago.

robertsilver Sun 22-Jan-23 10:18:13

Yeah, it's very normal for spring bulbs to sprout too early.. it's actually common with the likes of alliums, daffodils, anemones, muscari, etc. Bulbs don't really know the different seasons, and only react to sunlight, moisture levels, and soil temp. Basically when they're exposed to the right conditions they'll shoot. Even though this should be a concern, it shouldn't worry you that much.

Because yours shot before winter, and that I'm replying to this in January, I guess you've noticed by now that the cold weather has halted the sprouting. They'll continue sprouting later in spring.

I had a similar problem back 3 or 4 years ago with my alliums and it got me so worried. I thought it would kill the plants altogether. Luckily the alliums were fine and grew normally again once the ground temps warmed up.

But I'd also like to add that the effect of this on the stems was different. I'm not sure how your bulbs look like right now but the stems may grow feeble and thus affect your bulbs' overall bloom. If you experience this, don't worry either, they'll be better and back to normal the coming season.