Gransnet forums

Gardening

Last blooms from the garden?

(145 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 17-Oct-22 18:01:03

Just thought I'd share.

Scent and colour all jumbled togethersmile

Georgesgran Mon 17-Oct-22 18:05:50

How beautiful - I’m not very garden savvy - but they’re my favourite colours. I’ve only half a dozen pink roses flowering in the garden, and I’m reluctant to
replace the pink geraniums in my tubs with winter pansies, as there still seems a lot of flowers to come.

Joseanne Mon 17-Oct-22 18:44:45

They are lovely Namsnanny and like you say, probably smell good too.
My lavender is going bonkers. I have 24 plants in a raised bed and they think it is June or July!
Photo taken just now.

Joseanne Mon 17-Oct-22 18:47:54

Same here with geraniums Georgesgran, those in my stone troughs are flowering non stop. The hanging basket ones are finished though.

Namsnanny Mon 17-Oct-22 18:56:41

Georgesgran I know what you mean about being garden savvy.
I have had a lot of failures. But I suppose it's all a learning curve.

The Lilies and Anemones were planted late. Then didn't come on as I neglected them when the weather was hot.
But since then, the rain and this lovely autumn weather has brought them into flower.
They are in pots, but I will transfer to the beds when they finished flowering.

The Callicarpa hasn't had that many berries, and they fall easily. But they are soooo beautiful!

Joseanne Your Lavender does look very healthy, they clearly like being in your raised bed.
Will you save the flowers for scent do you think?

BlueBelle Mon 17-Oct-22 19:00:33

Mines beautiful at the moment full of Nerines

BlueBelle Mon 17-Oct-22 19:01:21

Whoops missed the photo

BlueBelle Mon 17-Oct-22 19:02:24

And again

BlueBelle Mon 17-Oct-22 19:02:53

Ohh delay so now I ve got two sorry folks

Skydancer Mon 17-Oct-22 19:10:56

Bluebelle every year I mean to plant Nerines and always forget ? Yours are gorgeous.

Joseanne Mon 17-Oct-22 19:11:58

I used to make little lavender bags and scroll people's names on them with a silver pen Namsnanny. I might put a few together again for presents this year.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Oct-22 19:14:47

My little bedding begonias, planted in a trough, are still flowering away like mad. It's too dark to take a photo now.

Joseanne Mon 17-Oct-22 19:15:59

Oops I meant scribe with my pen, not scroll!

BlueBelle Mon 17-Oct-22 19:29:49

Skydancer do you a few bulbs if you do send me a PM

Forsythia Mon 17-Oct-22 21:00:16

Our geraniums are still flowering as are a few rose bushes and fuschsias. We have got nerines too and they come up every year. They are great autumn flowers. Also our rudbeckia are in full bloom still.

MaizieD Mon 17-Oct-22 21:30:14

I have roses, verbena bonariensis, geraniums, pelargoniums, alyssum, snapdragons, sedum, choisya (sp.) blooming for the second time, cyclamen and a couple of things whose name escapes me for the moment...
Not bad for mid October in the NE, I think. ?

SueDonim Mon 17-Oct-22 21:30:17

Im enjoying the photos here!

I’m in Scotland and it’s getting quite chilly at night but the gardens don’t seem to have noticed. There are still so many flowers blooming, it’s lovely to see and I can pretend winter isn’t coming for a little while longer. One of my neighbours has an astonishing display of gladioli in their front garden, they’ve been flowering for weeks and weeks and despite a battering over the weekend from wind and rain are still doing their thing!

Namsnanny Mon 17-Oct-22 21:42:35

MaizieD you can't come on with a list like that and not a photo in sight grin

SpringyChicken Mon 17-Oct-22 23:06:59

My garden today

Namsnanny Tue 18-Oct-22 00:38:27

Beautiful SpringyChicken doesn't look at all like autumn does it?

shysal Tue 18-Oct-22 07:46:56

This year I planted Amarines, a cross between Nerine and Amaryllis. They have not produced a single flower. Somebody on here told me that they sometimes fail in the first year, but I am disappointed. I still have some garden colour: Geranium Roseanne, roses, salvia, aster, fuschias and busy lizzies. Frosts will soon knock them out, but not happened yet.

Prentice Tue 18-Oct-22 08:45:26

Lovely flowers, and yes so good to see this colour in October.
Only two Nerines have flowered this year when usually there are about eight, but pelargoniums in flower still and fuschia, also roses in bud. Choisya just covered in flowers, so pretty.

SueDonim Tue 18-Oct-22 11:52:07

That’s joyous, Springychicken! ? ? ?

Daisymae Tue 18-Oct-22 12:46:13

Lovely flowers.

MaizieD Tue 18-Oct-22 12:50:46

Namsnanny

MaizieD you can't come on with a list like that and not a photo in sight grin

I can, because my garden is a mess! I can't compete with the photos that have been posted... grin