Gransnet forums

Gardening

Suggesting for a flowering climber

(30 Posts)
jeanie99 Fri 14-Oct-22 20:12:19

I'm looking to add colour to the garden from September.
What I would like is a couple of flowering climbers growing on a trellis at the back of the border.
I already have in another area of the garden Clematis Montana which grows well and two variegated ivy climbers.
Reasonably quick grower which can be kept in check. I'm not young enough to be waiting years before a result.

Forsythia Fri 14-Oct-22 20:13:25

What about a climbing rose? They grow quickly once established.

lixy Fri 14-Oct-22 21:41:29

Not strictly a climber, more of a sprawler, but Winter flowering jasmine is evergreen and gives cheery yellow flowers in January.
Mine was trained against a low trellis and clipped each year so it made a slim dense plant about 5 ft high.
Very undemanding apart from the annual trim.

Coolgran65 Sat 15-Oct-22 00:36:15

I've just put in a couple of pyracantha against my 6' wall. Not a flower but evergreen and full of orange berries all winter. Very hardy.

lixy Sat 15-Oct-22 21:52:37

Clematis 'freckles'?

MayBee70 Sat 15-Oct-22 21:58:54

Coolgran65

I've just put in a couple of pyracantha against my 6' wall. Not a flower but evergreen and full of orange berries all winter. Very hardy.

Just be careful when pruning it! It’s lethal. Great for the birds though and I love the orange berries.

MayBee70 Sat 15-Oct-22 22:00:08

My euonymus climbs up the fence and it’s a lovely yellow colour all year round.

Casdon Sat 15-Oct-22 22:14:55

If you want something that will flower in the winter, try a Mahonia winter sun, lovely bright yellow flowers November-March, and evergreen. It’s a shrub rather than a climber, but will grow tall if you prune it.

jeanie99 Sun 16-Oct-22 19:24:18

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I'm looking into the plant requirements.

NannyPT Sun 16-Oct-22 21:36:29

Passion flower. then of course you get the seeds of the fruit that are edible.

SpringyChicken Sun 16-Oct-22 21:45:42

There are several different winter flowering clematis (some have perfume).
Winter flowering jasmine easy to grow.

MayBee70 Sun 16-Oct-22 22:04:26

NannyPT

Passion flower. then of course you get the seeds of the fruit that are edible.

I had one that took over my whole garden ( including the washing line). I planted it many years ago and it didn’t grow, I returned home after a holiday and I literally had to fight my way into the garden! I’ve never known anything like it.

Hetty58 Sun 16-Oct-22 22:05:44

I've trained a Viburnum × bodnantense 'Dawn' against a fence. It's pink flowers (on bare stems) in winter are delightful - and it's perfume amazing!

Esmay Fri 21-Oct-22 21:03:16

I have a hydrangea petiolaris - an extremely reliable climber which was grown from a cutting .

MaizieD Fri 21-Oct-22 21:15:14

Hetty58

I've trained a Viburnum × bodnantense 'Dawn' against a fence. It's pink flowers (on bare stems) in winter are delightful - and it's perfume amazing!

Not exactly a climber, of course, but the one I planted about 20 years ago is a good 10 feet high!

It is fantastic, it's just coming into flower now and will continuously produce pink flowers on its bare branches all the way through the winter until April. And, as Hetty58 says, the scent is lovely, and pervasive.

(The flowers can turn brown after a frost but it recovers really fast.)

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Oct-22 21:26:22

I'm looking at Clematis cirrhosa Freckles

It's winter flowering.

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Oct-22 21:31:08

This was from another thread:

Me:
*Clematis cirrhosa Freckles
Does anyone have it? winter flowering*
Whitewavemark2
Yes I do. It is on a south facing wall and quite rampant. Have to prune well every year.

But gets visited by buff tailed bumbles all winter long and the local sparrows use it as cover - it is always full of them.

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Oct-22 21:34:58

lixy

Clematis 'freckles'?

Sorry, I see you have suggested this.

Luckygirl3 Fri 21-Oct-22 21:54:42

I have something that looks like a jasmine - but it does not smell and is called "something jasminoides" - it has been flowering since April.

Luckygirl3 Fri 21-Oct-22 21:56:36

www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/trachelospermum-jasminoides/classid.2000042580/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhsmaBhCvARIsAIbEbH5NUyWl4wxoPMmV6AbGwPdLkipE3ziV6vP9q_jNNswAWCibVUh2F-kaAgrzEALw_wcB

This is it. It just goes on and on flowering and is evergreen so the fence is covered all year round.

BigBertha1 Fri 21-Oct-22 22:22:56

Our honeysuckle is flowering now.

Nannytopsy Fri 21-Oct-22 23:06:07

Clematis Jingle Bells. Mine is just starting to flower.

grannysyb Sat 22-Oct-22 09:32:27

I have a cream version of clematis freckles, it's panted against a north facing wall, and is flowering now. There is trellis at the top of the wall and it flowers on both the north and south side.

Patsy70 Sat 22-Oct-22 09:39:57

I would definitely go for one of the evergreen, winter flowering Clematis. I also have a Viburnum Bodnantense ‘Dawn’ (for my daughter) which looks beautiful against the fence. ?

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Oct-22 09:40:34

Does your cream freckles flower through to January/February (say) grannysyb?
Do you know the name please?