Gransnet forums

Gardening

Have I made a costly mistake?!

(32 Posts)
Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:28:44

We’ve just planted a small tree in our front lawn where, luckily, the soil was much better quality than expected.
However, for reasons beyond me, I forgot to tease out the roots before planting, something which I have always done without thinking.
The soil’s in, the stake’s in…. can’t bear the idea of re-doing it.
Will it make a huge difference?

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:31:41

Probably not, but if you’re going to lay in bed worrying about it, I would get on and redo it,

But, it will be fine…..

Chapeau Sun 25-Sep-22 13:36:31

Agree with Oops. Keep your tree well watered and clear away any grass around the trunk. Some seaweed feed would be a good idea.

PollyDolly Sun 25-Sep-22 13:37:19

I've watched Monty Don and Alan Titchmarsh plant all manner of shrubs and trees and neither make a habit of teasing out the roots - maybe they forgot, maybe they thought it unnecessary, who knows.

Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:38:31

Excellent news, thanks! We put on the recommended root improver stuff so hoping all will be well.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Sep-22 13:48:10

The roots will sort themselves out And grow where they want to grow I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it at all

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:43:51

What kind of tree did you plant, Kate54?

We need to plant one in the midde of our front lawn but nothing too large. I was thinking of a June Berry, hoping the fruit is not poisonous to dogs.

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:44:31

I'm sure yours will be fine if you keep it watered

Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 16:05:57

Alemanchier (spelling?) as recommended by GN ers here. Also seen as shrub in borders but I wanted to see something out of kitchen window.

karmalady Sun 25-Sep-22 16:13:28

you should redo it, won`t take that long. Being a tree, the roots will be doing a lot of work in holding it in the ground when the gales come, which they will. A tight root ball rocking in the wind is not good. The stake can stay where it is. An hours work at most

EkwaNimitee Sun 25-Sep-22 16:16:12

Amelanchier, Kate. I planted one this spring when it became smothered in beautiful white single flowers, followed by red berries that the blackbirds fought over. Now its leaves are turning slowly orange. It’s lovely and gives so much most of the year. My variety is ´canadensis’ and shouldn’t get over 5-6 m.

Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:08:08

My variety is Snowy Mespilus. Will get the spade out tomorrow!

Casdon Sun 25-Sep-22 17:15:12

It depends if it was pot bound or not. If the roots were still growing out into the soil of the pot, it will be fine. If it was a tight rootball with the roots already intertwined with each other and winding round the pot, I’d replant it, that would give it the best start.

Kittye Sun 25-Sep-22 17:23:59

Callistemon21

What kind of tree did you plant, Kate54?

We need to plant one in the midde of our front lawn but nothing too large. I was thinking of a June Berry, hoping the fruit is not poisonous to dogs.

We have a June Berry tree in our back garden. It’s been there for years. I wouldn’t worry about your dogs being poisoned as ours have never had a chance to eat the fruit as the birds have stripped it before it had a chance to fall.

Esspee Sun 25-Sep-22 17:25:47

A tree is a major addition in terms of longevity. I would dig it up tomorrow and spread the roots.
Have you staked it?

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:41:03

Kate54

Alemanchier (spelling?) as recommended by GN ers here. Also seen as shrub in borders but I wanted to see something out of kitchen window.

I think the June Berry is a type of Alemanchier, Kate54.

Will investigate, yes I remember the thread.

Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:46:07

It wasn’t pot bound Casdon and all the roots were looking healthily small if you know what I mean! Yes espee it has been very securely staked.

Jaylou Sun 25-Sep-22 18:54:42

I didn't know what the tree looked like, so looked it up on Gardener's world. There was a video of Monty Don planting one, he took it straight out the pot and planted it, he didn't tease any roots out.
Hope that helps

Kate54 Sun 25-Sep-22 19:33:29

That was kind of you, many thanks.

Katie59 Sun 25-Sep-22 20:24:20

Whatever you the most important thing is water, lots of it until we get proper rain.

karmalady Mon 26-Sep-22 06:37:15

Katie59

Whatever you the most important thing is water, lots of it until we get proper rain.

I disagree. One watering is enough. The roots need to grow downwards in search of water. Too many overwater

Spice101 Mon 26-Sep-22 06:47:16

We have just had over 200 plants including trees planted by a landscaper gardener and none of the roots were teased out. All are growing beautifully.
I think potentially you could do more damage digging up than leaving it.

BlueBalou Mon 26-Sep-22 07:21:24

I wouldn’t disturb it, I have planted plenty of trees, never teased out roots and never had any problems from not doing so.

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Sep-22 07:57:04

I also love my Alemanchier. Mine is Amelanchier lamarckii.

This may be of interest:
www.thespruce.com/nine-species-serviceberry-trees-and-shrubs-3269674

NotSpaghetti Mon 26-Sep-22 08:01:54

Some people make an alcoholic drink from the berries (think it may be parts of Canada). If you think you might want to do that I'd pich a variety with larger berries.

Ours is beautiful all year.
We dress it with tiny white lights at Christmas time. It's directly in front of our sitting room. All year interest in my opinion.
The edible berries are tiny but flavoursome.