Gransnet forums

Gardening

moving roses and fresh air

(7 Posts)
karmalady Fri 09-Sep-22 11:30:56

I just had to get outside and away from radio and tv, so I am prepping for moving some roses, yes it is raining but I have a rainhat on and don`t care

I know these will be fine at this time of year, it is all down to the prep

karmalady Fri 09-Sep-22 11:41:50

I have taken out the six I am not keeping, an unfortunate purchase 3 years ago, beautiful perfume but far too spiky and not that attractive. I `bunged` all my roses into the front very soon after moving house and hit all sorts of stones and compacted sand etc. I was knee deep in digging out and replacing soil and I remember it getting dark and me being tired and shoving them in

I am keeping six lovely healthy pink roses, not too prickly and really lovely, I have two beds. I will have to re-position three of these because for some reason I zig-zagged my roses and I will add two of the same, which are not really liking being in my large containers. I shall end up with 4 each side and with better spacing. It will be so worth it

Now the hard work starts and first job is to get the first load of JI3 in, so I can dig large new holes. I shall have to have my large pry bar to hand for all the missed rocks. The other bed has a grid cover, I need to explore that properly, find the outlet and will need to plan to avoid that

Micorrhizal fungi and JI will make this a success. No-one need to worry about transplanting now

Kim19 Fri 09-Sep-22 15:24:51

Good luck. Sounds very well thought out.

Razzamatazz Fri 09-Sep-22 15:43:44

I knew it was you karmalady! It is difficult to avoid the grief isn't it, and there are some awful poems going around Facebook too.

I know what you mean about prickly, I've now got a bramble in the front hawthorn hedge and both try to perforate me, horrible. You need to be able to bend down to smell them without getting snagged! Careful with all that humping of JI bags, I'm sure you have a method smile

Barmeyoldbat Fri 09-Sep-22 16:15:00

I went out in the drizzle to plant the pots with bulbs, just needed to get outside

karmalady Sat 10-Sep-22 13:54:55

I think there are a several who understand

Job was done and I left it at 3 roses, olivia, in each bed, one bed each side of my front door. I did the correct spacing ie 3.5 feet between each one. All I need to do is ensure that the soil will remain moist enough, as it is now. At least there is plenty of fresh air around each rose now, weeding and mulching will be much easier for many years to come. More future prep I suppose

I felt a bit bad about the 6 that I removed, susan williams ellis but they were extremely prickly and the branches were puny as in skinny and tall and the actual rootball was pathetic. They were the only ones that ever got die back. The roots on olivia were long, thick and tenacious, sadly I ended up cutting roots but typically, olivia will survive and now has the autumn flush to put more roots down. They will look beautiful, as normal by next summer

I did loads of deep digging and clearing and went to bed tired, what I wanted, all the mud washed off as I knew it would

karmalady Thu 15-Sep-22 12:38:59

The moved roses are still alive. Almost a week has passed and most leaves are still ok. I shall be very happy if I see any new growth, which will tell me that the roots are recovering but so far, so good